Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Ted Kennedy

Ted Kennedy

Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:06 pm
  #271  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,130
CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by BigDavyG View Post
Tell me how he tried to make up for his crimes - did he ever apologise to the family of Mary Jo Kopechne or the victims of the IRA ??

As for your quote from me - what is wrong with that. Should I change my opinion of the man upon his death ??

The sanctimony in some of the posts on this thread is nauseating.
It is certainly a sensitive topic but all in all, so far so good.
CelticRover is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:15 pm
  #272  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
As usual there are extremes of opinion. Whatever belief he had in the 70's, they changed dramatically and hew was influential in the peace process.
Ever ask yourself why people like Adams and Kennedy changed their minds ??
Why did they decide to take a different approach after decades of funding and planning the murder of hundreds of people ??

Why do you chose to judge a story for its final page, not the thousands of pages that went before it ??
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:17 pm
  #273  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: the dry part of Washington State
Posts: 1,333
exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by BigDavyG View Post
Tell me how he tried to make up for his crimes - did he ever apologise to the family of Mary Jo Kopechne or the victims of the IRA ??

As for your quote from me - what is wrong with that. Should I change my opinion of the man upon his death ??

The sanctimony in some of the posts on this thread is nauseating.
You shouldn't change your opinion, but you should only post using language that your mother would be happy for you to post

Your mother - the one who's '******' gave you life ?

I mean honestly - I have worked in rough male environments where the language was horrible and I used it then too, and I could call you some names you had never heard before and I learned them in the 50's and the 60's and on - so you are not being clever using language like that - but I grew out of that stuff and I suggest you move on too

Last edited by exvj; Aug 30th 2009 at 3:22 pm.
exvj is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:31 pm
  #274  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Englishtart's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Charleston,SC. born in Stockport,UK.
Posts: 10,109
Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

I certainly think that people's opinions are their own, not everyone can agree, wouldn't ever want them too either, way too boring. We all definitely have the 'right' to those opinions, I really don't think that by expressing yours (in general) it is going to change theirs.

It's sad though that these kind of threads typically turn into personal attack threads, it's a controversial topic, religion/politics are not often discussed quietly by opposing groups. I get that, but some of the posts in this thread have been pretty nasty and downright rude.

stepping off soapbox now...feel the need to point out that I am in no way sticking up for any one in particular, or getting on the 'gang' mentality bandwagon.
Englishtart is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:32 pm
  #275  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by scottishcelts View Post
So he wasn't profiteering!!!! Then i admit that am 100% guilty of making unsubstantiated claims - pity you don't seem able to do the same, or can you substantiate the drivel you have spouted? Why let a simple thing like evidence cloud a good anti-kennedy rant you complete and utter total TWAT
Regardless of what people think about Kennedy you are the only person on any of these threads to question his support of the IRA.
Coming from you, the person who claims never to have heard a pro-IRA chant at Parkhead I must say I am shocked.

Plastic paddies, they are nothing if not predictable. Remind me again - you were born in Scotland, and live in Australia, but think you are Irish, isn't that it ??
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:40 pm
  #276  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 78,460
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by exvj View Post
You shouldn't change your opinion, but you should only post using language that your mother would be happy for you to post

Your mother - the one who's '******' gave you life ?

I mean honestly - I have worked in rough male environments where the language was horrible and I used it then too, and I could call you some names you had never heard before and I learned them in the 50's and the 60's and on - so you are not being clever using language like that - but I grew out of that stuff and I suggest you move on too


Oh, you do make me laugh.
Leslie is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:47 pm
  #277  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 45,527
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by dollface View Post
Good, and yours? 10.45am here and my OH is making us crepes! ooh lala

What is he filling them with? I love them with butter and good preserves or with creamed asparagus ... YUMMY
Rete is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:50 pm
  #278  
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,272
dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
What is he filling them with? I love them with butter and good preserves or with creamed asparagus ... YUMMY
Well I had mine with lemon juice and sugar............kids with berries and maple syrup..................yummmmmmmmmmmm
dollface is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:55 pm
  #279  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: the dry part of Washington State
Posts: 1,333
exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
I certainly think that people's opinions are their own, not everyone can agree, wouldn't ever want them too either, way too boring. We all definitely have the 'right' to those opinions, I really don't think that by expressing yours (in general) it is going to change theirs.

It's sad though that these kind of threads typically turn into personal attack threads, it's a controversial topic, religion/politics are not often discussed quietly by opposing groups. I get that, but some of the posts in this thread have been pretty nasty and downright rude.

stepping off soapbox now...feel the need to point out that I am in no way sticking up for any one in particular, or getting on the 'gang' mentality bandwagon.
I am afraid you are leaning towards the side of decency which is my soap box

Be sure you can take the heat there, or you will be called a prude and snotty and many more things

Public decency is a minority position on these threads just now and members of minorities must suffer through to their eventual victory

If you do come that way, I can assure you that there are decent people on these forums and you will find support - sadly not enough

All martyrs in the cause gladly accepted but even the disciples took a low profile when it came to stick and lift - so make sure your loins are girded up for it

(Can I say 'loins')
exvj is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:00 pm
  #280  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 78,460
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by BigDavyG View Post
Tell me how he tried to make up for his crimes - did he ever apologise to the family of Mary Jo Kopechne or the victims of the IRA ??

As for your quote from me - what is wrong with that. Should I change my opinion of the man upon his death ??

The sanctimony in some of the posts on this thread is nauseating.
No, you shouldn't change your opinion at all. It is just as valid and based in fact as anything else I've seen here. Your passion is refreshing and your comments about his IRA support and how real people were hurt by Kennedy's actions has certainly has given me pause. I agree about the sanctimony, quite frankly it's embarrassing.

As far as all of the irrelevant emotional nonsense about his personal suffering, I think that may offer one reason for his horrible personal habits but certainly not an excuse. The truth told, he was the spoiled son from a family whose precious boys could do no wrong. Yes, he suffered losses but he enjoyed more riches and blessings than most of us will ever see. Not growing up until you are 70 years old is a really shitty track record and the fact that we applaud him for the last ten years or so of his personal life is really just silly when you think about it. IMO, he only grew up because he was too old to get away with his perverse lifestyle any longer. Who knows? Maybe the brain tumor squished the part of his brain that dealt with impulse control? It may have all been a divine accident and not a change of heart at all.
Leslie is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:04 pm
  #281  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,130
CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by BigDavyG View Post
Ever ask yourself why people like Adams and Kennedy changed their minds ??
Why did they decide to take a different approach after decades of funding and planning the murder of hundreds of people ??

Why do you chose to judge a story for its final page, not the thousands of pages that went before it ??
Davy, take look at the references offered in post#198 and tell me what you think.
CelticRover is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:09 pm
  #282  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: the dry part of Washington State
Posts: 1,333
exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by BigDavyG View Post
Regardless of what people think about Kennedy you are the only person on any of these threads to question his support of the IRA.
Coming from you, the person who claims never to have heard a pro-IRA chant at Parkhead I must say I am shocked.

Plastic paddies, they are nothing if not predictable. Remind me again - you were born in Scotland, and live in Australia, but think you are Irish, isn't that it ??
Hi Davy

I am taking a minute off from punishing the evil doers and conversing with you properly and nicely
I am a bit split on Americans claiming to be 'Prussian' or Irish' etc... I suppose we all would like to connect with out ancestry somehow otherwise we feel like an adopted child - so it's quite natural that we need to connect

I gave it all up last year when I found I was Hereford/Dublin/Wales/north Yorks Viking

I finally accepted I was a mixture of a lot of people and cultures but my personal culture is what I choose it to be and not something that someone handed to me or forced on me

However, if the Irish connection suited the Kennedys and gave them pleasure (and political support in Boston), then I don't see it as objectionable

We have to find comfort where we can in this short and often brutal life and we all find it in different ways - the important thing is we find it

My aunt was very anti - Irish and said the southern irish supplied the german uboats with fuel in the war - funny because my research indicates that her granddad was a dude called Michael Casson from Dublin and her blood and mine runs with the brackish waters of the bogs
exvj is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:29 pm
  #283  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: the dry part of Washington State
Posts: 1,333
exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by Leslie66 View Post
No, you shouldn't change your opinion at all. It is just as valid and based in fact as anything else I've seen here. Your passion is refreshing and your comments about his IRA support and how real people were hurt by Kennedy's actions has certainly has given me pause. I agree about the sanctimony, quite frankly it's embarrassing.

As far as all of the irrelevant emotional nonsense about his personal suffering, I think that may offer one reason for his horrible personal habits but certainly not an excuse. The truth told, he was the spoiled son from a family whose precious boys could do no wrong. Yes, he suffered losses but he enjoyed more riches and blessings than most of us will ever see. Not growing up until you are 70 years old is a really shitty track record and the fact that we applaud him for the last ten years or so of his personal life is really just silly when you think about it. IMO, he only grew up because he was too old to get away with his perverse lifestyle any longer. Who knows? Maybe the brain tumor squished the part of his brain that dealt with impulse control? It may have all been a divine accident and not a change of heart at all.
Who are you to talk about horrible personal habits when your avatar is a baby smoking drugs ?

Who are you to think that God would act as executioner on behalf of people like you ?

That's twisted sister
exvj is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:31 pm
  #284  
BE Forum Addict
 
Macca67's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: on the horizon
Posts: 4,382
Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by exvj View Post
I gave it all up last year when I found I was 0.1% Hereford/Dublin/Wales/north Yorks Viking and 99.9% Tosser
....more like.
Macca67 is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:32 pm
  #285  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ted Kennedy

Originally Posted by exvj View Post
Who are you to talk about horrible personal habits when your avatar is a baby smoking drugs ?

Who are you to think that God would act as executioner on behalf of people like you ?

That's twisted sister
You are starting to annoy me ....

cool your jets
Ray is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.