Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The talk about anything you like thread

The talk about anything you like thread

Old May 11th 2020, 10:56 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Talking The talk about anything you like thread

Got a bit of interesting goss to talk about? A belly or ball ache perhaps? Or how about some political shite that doesn't quite fit anywhere else? Or even it is does fit somewhere else but you can't be arsed? No constraints, just fair banter and respect please
Old May 11th 2020, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The talk about anything you like thread

1) Worried about my mom she has had shingles for about a week now, today she says she can't taste or smell anything, and they have said in Canada that is possibly a symptom of COVID, trying to get her to go get tested since they are testing anyone who asks now in her area.

2) Looks like they may finally cut the dead tree down, they put up no parking signs with a symbol of a tree being cut down, so maybe its a good sign, the tree has been dead through 2 springs now, so time for it to go, downside is when the tree was living, it blocked our window so we had more privacy, now not so much.

3) Dogs they can learn to take their toys out of the toy bin, but never manage to learn to put them back.
Old May 12th 2020, 12:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Corrie actors are featured on the UK stamps...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...al-mail-stamps
Old May 12th 2020, 2:16 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
1)
2) Looks like they may finally cut the dead tree down, they put up no parking signs with a symbol of a tree being cut down, so maybe its a good sign, the tree has been dead through 2 springs now, so time for it to go, downside is when the tree was living, it blocked our window so we had more privacy, now not so much.
We had a dead tree outside in the nature strip. It had been dead for about a year (I liked to give it a chance for a resurrection) before I notified the council to have it removed, last September, had an email confirmation 'blah blah within 28 days blah blah'. Then the state caught on fire, so I didn't pursue it.
February, I rang them up, it was marked in their system as already dealt with, so they reopened the case and 'blah blah within 28 days blah blah'.
Then the world caught the plague so I didn't pursue it.
Finally, we had our usual seasonal high winds, and it came down itself. It managed to miss the power lines, the houses on both sides of the road, my car, the road (mostly) and fell in the one direction where nothing was damaged.
Rang the council back, they were very apologetic and came out that day to chip and remove it, then came back the following day to grind the stump down.

Good luck with your tree.
Old May 12th 2020, 1:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

1) Worried about my mom she has had shingles for about a week now, today she says she can't taste or smell anything, and they have said in Canada that is possibly a symptom of COVID, trying to get her to go get tested since they are testing anyone who asks now in her area.

3) Dogs they can learn to take their toys out of the toy bin, but never manage to learn to put them back.
1) Did your mum get tested? Hope she's okay.

2) Not sure of your layout but maybe its a good opportunity to prepare for a preferred kind of tree or something else to replace it with? It looks amazing around here right now, all the rich and varied autumn colours - rather like what you get over there. But with all the weird things going like months of filtered orange light from the smoke, then heaps and heaps of rain when it is normally a bit drier the plants don't know whether they're coming or going. Some new buds are already emerging and all of the leaves haven't even fallen yet. And I saw today some of the daffodils in my garden are beginning to sprout - and that doesn't usually happen here till around August September

3) My kids were like that. No sooner did we put them all away nice and tidy and they were pulling them out again. Shoveling snow while its still snowing comes to mind...
Old May 12th 2020, 1:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Corrie actors are featured on the UK stamps...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...al-mail-stamps
Was never a watcher of Coronation Street, but when I was growing up it was always on in the background whenever it came on. My dear old nan, bless her, never missed an episode it was always shhh shhh shhh lets listen to this. Used to love winding her up by sparking off really gossipy conversations with her moments before it started. But Corrie always won the day.

Love the stamp: ...With a tongue so sharp if it was a bit longer she could shave with it.
Old May 12th 2020, 2:22 pm
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

With reference to the shingles please please please get her eyesight checked out.
Took mine from 20/20 (able to do manual identification of fingerprints down to a stage where sometimes I have to have BE magnified 10x normal size even with powerful glasses. I didn't realise the issue at the time, by the time I did it was too late.
Old May 12th 2020, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Justaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever taken a cutting of a plant/flower and managed to have success?
i surely can't be the only person who ends up with a soggy or dry mess.
Old May 12th 2020, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
With reference to the shingles please please please get her eyesight checked out.
Took mine from 20/20 (able to do manual identification of fingerprints down to a stage where sometimes I have to have BE magnified 10x normal size even with powerful glasses. I didn't realise the issue at the time, by the time I did it was too late.
I'll see if she knows this could be an issue.

I guess when she got the vaccine the vaccine at the time had a much lower effectiveness rate compared to newer versions.

Shingles is one thing I never want to experience, the day I turn 50, I will be at the pharmacy to get it money in hand.

My great grandmother had shingles back in the 90's, she had it bad, and never fully recovered from it, and based on what you mention about vision, I wonder if shingles is what caused her fairly rapid decline in vision as it was just around the same time she had shingles that her vision started to rapidly go, she never went blind, but her vision got bad enough where there was little glasses and eye doctors could do, but she was older when she got shingles, late 70's or early 80's age wise.

Last edited by Jsmth321; May 12th 2020 at 6:10 pm.
Old May 12th 2020, 6:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justaskin View Post
Has anyone ever taken a cutting of a plant/flower and managed to have success?
i surely can't be the only person who ends up with a soggy or dry mess.
It depends on the plant type, some "take" cuttings very easily, such as forsythia, others need nurturing, or rooting compound, and some don't work at all.

Then there plants like apples and roses that can work as cuttings, but you shouldn't bother trying becuase they are all "desirable" branches grafted on to "hardy" rootstocks, and while you can get a cutting to grow, it will develop a weak rootstock and therefore likely make for an unsuccesful plant.
Old May 12th 2020, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Justaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
It depends on the plant type, some "take" cuttings very easily, such as forsythia, others need nurturing, or rooting compound, and some don't work at all.

Then there plants like apples and roses that can work as cuttings, but you shouldn't bother trying becuase they are all "desirable" branches grafted on to "hardy" rootstocks, and while you can get a cutting to grow, it will develop a weak rootstock and therefore likely make for an unsuccesful plant.
lve tried with all plants which others have great success with, I take their advice too.
The only flowers I have any success with are dandelions.
If my mother finds a wooden lolly stick in the street and plants it grows into a lovely tree.
No exaggeration, well perhaps a little.......
Old May 12th 2020, 7:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justaskin View Post
lve tried with all plants which others have great success with, I take their advice too.
The only flowers I have any success with are dandelions.
If my mother finds a wooden lolly stick in the street and plants it grows into a lovely tree.
No exaggeration, well perhaps a little.......
My mum was the same. She couldn’t see anything wrong by taking cuttings as she walked around garden centres.
Old May 13th 2020, 4:09 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't this just the random comment thread with extra steps
Old May 13th 2020, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Isn't this just the random comment thread with extra steps
exactly what I thought...I will probably merge the two threads
Old May 13th 2020, 4:43 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
exactly what I thought...I will probably merge the two threads
It's no big deal, I was just having a laugh, while also providing a subscription. I don't like to see new threads die if it can be avoided.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.