Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Taking The Knee

Taking The Knee

Old Oct 5th 2020, 6:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking The Knee

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
It would have been about right to hold two minute's silence for that poor police officer who died in the line of duty, and for VJ day the bugle call followed by two minutes silence.
Looks like VJ day was remembered in the UK - https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...over-japan-day

As for two minutes silence for the PO - just this PO? All PO's killed doing their job? Other emergency service workers? I asked this before, and the reply was
Actually, my preference would be to get rid of Taking The Knee in public, given that I regard it as politically motivated cringe-worthy BS.
, so if it's just trying to stop sports stars taking a knee, then there is no need to reference VJ day, or the death of a serving PO, but simply post about this form of peaceful protest.

If you want to honour fallen soldiers other than the currently recognised days of remembrance, or recognise the service of PO's (why only PO's I don't know), then what does that have to do with fighting racial injustice - the two positions are not mutually exclusive.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 7:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

...But wait. You judge that our country (the UK) is racist based on some posts you read on Facebook??
I judge that the some in the UK are racist based on what I see and hear. If people are racist on FB or other forms of social media, they do not stop being racist when off it.

Add that to some political propaganda, news stories, etc - then, yes I think racism exists in the UK. You think otherwise?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by IrishDigger View Post
A highly regarded police officer is killed on duty in London and few football clubs can even be bothered to observe a minutes silence. Yet week after week after week after week they take the knee for a tragic death that happened thousands of miles away in a foreign country. VJ Day came and went and no one took the knee for the millions of Allied soldiers killed in action.
So it's not about taking a knee then, it's about remembering a fallen PO, and loss of life in the war on Japan?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
Looks like VJ day was remembered in the UK - https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...over-japan-day

As for two minutes silence for the PO - just this PO? All PO's killed doing their job? Other emergency service workers? I asked this before, and the reply was , so if it's just trying to stop sports stars taking a knee, then there is no need to reference VJ day, or the death of a serving PO, but simply post about this form of peaceful protest.
** The second quote wasn't mine so I've removed it.

I think two minutes silence for the PO would be nice but not mandatory - and the same for any other workers who put themselves in harms way on our behalf. Likewise VJ day. And if you really want it's fine to protest the death of George Floyd in the form of two minutes silence. Once. But repeatedly going down on a knee in submission to a dodgy organisation named "Black Lives Matter" and whose "About Us" page reveals an agenda that is about far more than mattering about black lives - and if the truth be known BLM doesn't like most of the football fans of the teams who they are bending their knees to them!

But in the end the footie clubs are free to do what they want, clearly they think they can afford any consequences and their fans will support them for as long as they agree with it. But I'm sure it will have a shelf life - if that hasn't passed already. After that they'll get the message eventually in the form of boos, cancelled memberships and reduced attendees at matches.

Looking at a handful of news sites, most of the readership comments rejected the practice. And strangely all the "Credible or respected source" papers and similar I came across seemed to have their comments turned off altogether.

Last edited by paulry; Oct 5th 2020 at 7:46 am.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 7:53 am

** The second quote wasn't mine so I've removed it.

I think two minutes silence for the PO would be nice but not mandatory - and the same for any other workers who put themselves in harms way on our behalf. Likewise VJ day. And if you really want it's fine to protest the death of George Floyd in the form of two minutes silence. Once. But repeatedly going down on a knee in submission to a dodgy organisation named "Black Lives Matter" and whose "About Us" page reveals an agenda that is about far more than mattering about black lives - and if the truth be known BLM doesn't like most of the football fans of the teams who they are bending their knees to them!

But in the end the footie clubs are free to do what they want, clearly they think they can afford any consequences and their fans will support them for as long as they agree with it. But I'm sure it will have a shelf life - if that hasn't passed already. After that they'll get the message eventually in the form of boos, cancelled memberships and reduced attendees at matches.

Looking at a handful of news sites, most of the readership comments rejected the practice. And strangely all the "Credible or respected source" papers and similar I came across seemed to have their comments turned off altogether.
Taking a knee isn't about the death of George Floyd. It's also not showing submission to BLM.

Taking a knee is a form of peaceful protest aimed at bringing an end to systemic racism. If football players wish to highlight that, why not? I don't watch EPL so couldn't comment on crowd reactions.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

...But wait. You judge that our country (the UK) is racist based on some posts you read on Facebook??
And you judge most of the world to be more racist than the UK based on what?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago had one of its busiest months but somehow that does not matter.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
And you judge most of the world to be more racist than the UK based on what?
Travel

Observation?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I judge that the some in the UK are racist based on what I see and hear. If people are racist on FB or other forms of social media, they do not stop being racist when off it.

Add that to some political propaganda, news stories, etc - then, yes I think racism exists in the UK. You think otherwise?
I consider the UK to have very low incidents of racism indeed - possibly the lowest in the world. I challenge you or anyone else to identify a country that is less racist. No country is devoid of racism but I would say in the UK is extremely low and there are at least as many people these days there who are anti white as there are whites who anti anyone else - which is extra sad. And yet the overwhelming majority of whites in the UK are having their noses rubbed in accusations of racism, white privilege, etc - and that is not a good thing at all.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Chicago had one of its busiest months but somehow that does not matter.
????

Trolling the wrong thread????

Trolling the wrong forum????

Any explanation to go with this Boiler?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

????

Trolling the wrong thread????

Trolling the wrong forum????

Any explanation to go with this Boiler?
No, I don't think he is. He's reminding us of the 135% (or thereabouts) increase in mostly black murders in Chicago for July - despite everyone taking the knee there.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Chicago shootings: 33 shot, 3 fatally, in weekend violence

https://abc7chicago.com/36-shot-4-fatally-in-chicago-weekend-shootings/6784858/

BLM?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 1:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IrishDigger View Post
A highly regarded police officer is killed on duty in London and few football clubs can even be bothered to observe a minutes silence. Yet week after week after week after week they take the knee for a tragic death that happened thousands of miles away in a foreign country. VJ Day came and went and no one took the knee for the millions of Allied soldiers killed in action.
Ever heard of Remembrance Day? Football clubs do that every year, in most cases twice.

Just how often do you want clubs to do these things and what qualifies? Barely a week goes by without a club or multiple clubs marking a death or anniversary in some way, be it for someone on the staff, long standing supporter, young supporter, national tragedy, local tragedy, something especially meaningful to the club or community.

Taking the knee is a small gesture for something current and is now taking about 5 seconds. How can you possibly get worked up about something like that?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Ever heard of Remembrance Day? Football clubs do that every year, in most cases twice.

Just how often do you want clubs to do these things and what qualifies? Barely a week goes by without a club or multiple clubs marking a death or anniversary in some way, be it for someone on the staff, long standing supporter, young supporter, national tragedy, local tragedy, something especially meaningful to the club or community.

Taking the knee is a small gesture for something current and is now taking about 5 seconds. How can you possibly get worked up about something like that?
I like it, a BLM day, perhaps during Black History month just once a year.

Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Travel

Observation?
​​​​​​How do you observe how racist people in Vietnam or Sweden are if you don't speak the language?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.