Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Taking The Knee

Taking The Knee

Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking The Knee

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Nope. publicly "taking the knee" such as we're seeing is yet more political correct virtue signalling imported from the lunatic fringe of the USA. Our country, one of the finest, most un-racist countries in the world is way better than to be subjected to and/or submit to an ideology that aims to divide us. If those sports stars want to repeatedly honour and/or submit themselves to something, then better they honour or submit themselves to our fallen heroes and heroines - for they are immeasurably more worthy.
If you have a point to make, can you try not to 'BINGO' in one sentence!

When you say 'our country', which are you referring to?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:06 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
There's plenty of racism in Australia. Take it from a real Aussie.
All over the world. And it doesn't get better.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:07 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

There's plenty of racism in Australia. Take it from a real Aussie.

Edit: to clarify, 'a real Aussie' is someone who not only lives here, but also bothers to actually look around and see the country as it is, great bits, horrible bits and all. It doesn't matter where they were born, but it matters that they don't lie.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
If you have a point to make, can you try not to 'BINGO' in one sentence!

When you say 'our country', which are you referring to?
I made my points. Not sure what you mean by your bingo comment.

The topic thread is specifically referring to the UK. I know we're Australians (though not real apparently) but we are British too so yes its our country.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

For clarity, the opening line on this thread states:

"Found this comment on a UK Forum..."

And in my response I repeatedly referred to the UK. I'm willing to be corrected but I think it's clear which country we're referring to.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I made my points. Not sure what you mean by your bingo comment.

The topic thread is specifically referring to the UK. I know we're Australians (though not real apparently) but we are British too so yes its our country.
The 'BINGO' comment was related to the number of buzz words you threw into the remark - enough for a full house.

And the country comment because I couldn't recognise which country you meant since none fit the bill of 'most un-racist' amongst those I thought you were referring to - UK (not one country, but group of countries) or AUS, both of which have racism issues.

Whilst the OP referred to a UK forum, I do not watch UK sports generally and 'taking a knee' is most often seen in the US I believe, although I've seen some drivers do the same in F1. This form of peaceful protest does seem to be global
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Edit: to clarify, 'a real Aussie' is someone who not only lives here, but also bothers to actually look around and see the country as it is, great bits, horrible bits and all. It doesn't matter where they were born, but it matters that they don't lie.
There can't be many "real Aussies" then!
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The 'BINGO' comment was related to the number of buzz words you threw into the remark - enough for a full house.

And the country comment because I couldn't recognise which country you meant since none fit the bill of 'most un-racist' amongst those I thought you were referring to - UK (not one country, but group of countries) or AUS, both of which have racism issues.

Whilst the OP referred to a UK forum, I do not watch UK sports generally and 'taking a knee' is most often seen in the US I believe, although I've seen some drivers do the same in F1. This form of peaceful protest does seem to be global
You don't consider the UK to be one of the most un-racist countries? I'm intrigued. Which countries are less racist in your book? And points out of 10 how racist do you see the UK (one country - but you can split them up into Scotland, Wales, etc if you prefer). Likewise - since that got brought up points out of 10 for how racist is Australia?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:51 am

You don't consider the UK to be one of the most un-racist countries? I'm intrigued. Which countries are less racist in your book? And points out of 10 how racist do you see the UK (one country - but you can split them up into Scotland, Wales, etc if you prefer). Likewise - since that got brought up points out of 10 for how racist is Australia?
Seeing some posts on FB from people I worked with in the UK, plenty of racism - both overt and covert. The same would be true here in Australia. I wouldn't want to rate either, and I haven't lived in enough for a comparison on a global scale, or 'points out of 10'.

It would be nice if we could accept that we are all humans. That your gender, colour, wealth or religion, should not limit what you can be, or change how you are treated. Until that is true, I welcome all forms of peaceful protest that might make a difference - even if it's one issue at a time!
Old Oct 5th 2020, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seeing some posts on FB from people I worked with in the UK, plenty of racism - both overt and covert. The same would be true here in Australia. I wouldn't want to rate either, and I haven't lived in enough for a comparison on a global scale, or 'points out of 10'.

It would be nice if we could accept that we are all humans. That your gender, colour, wealth or religion, should not limit what you can be, or change how you are treated. Until that is true, I welcome all forms of peaceful protest that might make a difference - even if it's one issue at a time!
But you said none fit the bill as most un-racist so some clearly are more un-racist than the UK (and Australia) in your book. I would very much like to know which countries they are because out of my experiences of visiting and living in many countries, the UK is up there with the best - and I'm not just saying that because I am (with Spouses permission) a real British person. And while I'm aware that Australia does have racism, the overwhelming majority of it's people and everywhere possible in its laws are un-racist so I'm troubled that a real Aussie sees plenty of racism here. But it's easy-peasy to slap a label on people and places but often entirely another thing to justify that label.

A nice virtue signal bingo line up above, btw, but I think you'll find that in the modern day the overwhelming majority of people in Western countries (not just the UK, Australia and the USA) agree and support all of those things, and we don't need to signal our submission and bend our knees to some organisation that seeks to divide us for that.

Old Oct 5th 2020, 5:14 am

But you said none fit the bill as most un-racist so some clearly are more un-racist than the UK (and Australia) in your book. I would very much like to know which countries they are because out of my experiences of visiting and living in many countries, the UK is up there with the best - and I'm not just saying that because I am (with Spouses permission) a real British person. And while I'm aware that Australia does have racism, the overwhelming majority of it's people and everywhere possible in its laws are un-racist so I'm troubled that a real Aussie sees plenty of racism here. But it's easy-peasy to slap a label on people and places but often entirely another thing to justify that label.

A nice virtue signal bingo line up above, btw, but I think you'll find that in the modern day the overwhelming majority of people in Western countries (not just the UK, Australia and the USA) agree and support all of those things, and we don't need to signal our submission and bend our knees to some organisation that seeks to divide us for that.
What you see as dividing, I see as uniting. If we all agree that people should be treated fairly, and highlight where that does not occur, what, exactly, is divisive in that stance?

Edit - sorry, on the BINGO, I'm unclear on what buzz words I used. Could you highlight as none on my card.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

We can salute those who refuse to bow down to the Progs, much easier to bend the knee in subjugation.

Old Oct 5th 2020, 6:11 am
Just Joined

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute

So why the reference to the officer killed? Or VJ day?
A highly regarded police officer is killed on duty in London and few football clubs can even be bothered to observe a minutes silence. Yet week after week after week after week they take the knee for a tragic death that happened thousands of miles away in a foreign country. VJ Day came and went and no one took the knee for the millions of Allied soldiers killed in action.

Old Oct 5th 2020, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IrishDigger View Post
A highly regarded police officer is killed on duty in London and few football clubs can even be bothered to observe a minutes silence. Yet week after week after week after week they take the knee for a tragic death that happened thousands of miles away in a foreign country. VJ Day came and went and no one took the knee for the millions of Allied soldiers killed in action.
It would have been about right to hold two minute's silence for that poor police officer who died in the line of duty, and for VJ day the bugle call followed by two minutes silence.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seeing some posts on FB from people I worked with in the UK, plenty of racism - both overt and covert.
...But wait. You judge that our country (the UK) is racist based on some posts you read on Facebook??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.