Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Taking The Knee

Taking The Knee

Old Oct 4th 2020, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking The Knee

Found this comment on a UK Forum,

A highly regarded police officer is killed on duty in London and few football clubs can even be bothered to observe a minutes silence. Yet week after week after week after week they take the knee for a tragic death that happened thousands of miles away in a foreign country. VJ Day came and went and no one took the knee for the millions of Allied soldiers killed in action.

Old Oct 5th 2020, 12:16 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking The Knee

Originally Posted by IrishDigger View Post

A highly regarded police officer is killed on duty in London and few football clubs can even be bothered to observe a minutes silence. Yet week after week after week after week they take the knee for a tragic death that happened thousands of miles away in a foreign country. VJ Day came and went and no one took the knee for the millions of Allied soldiers killed in action.
We have multiple threads on this topic already. Suggest combining.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a big problem in the UK right now., there is a double standard. Very sad.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...atest-updates/

Likewise in the rush to condemn UK police for something the force played no part whatsoever in, our police heroes and heroines who paid the ultimate price to keep us all safe right across Britain are forgotten.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-...icers-17119784
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Yes, a big problem in the UK right now., there is a double standard. Very sad.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...atest-updates/

Likewise in the rush to condemn UK police for something the force played no part whatsoever in, our police heroes and heroines who paid the ultimate price to keep us all safe right across Britain are forgotten.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-...icers-17119784
For me there is a significant difference to be killed by a criminal, or killed / injured by someone who should be upholding law and order.

In the case of the officer killed doing his duty, the criminal will be held to account. That is generally not the case when killed / injured by a police officer - that is a cause of concern for me. Having been on the receiving end of police incompetence, the lack of oversight is troublesome but more so, the belief by those involved that they were above the law.

All that said, all loss of life is something to be grieved. When all criminals are held to account, I think things will be better (just my personal views obviously).

Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:42 am
Just Joined

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
For me there is a significant difference to be killed by a criminal, or killed / injured by someone who should be upholding law and order.

In the case of the officer killed doing his duty, the criminal will be held to account. That is generally not the case when killed / injured by a police officer - that is a cause of concern for me. Having been on the receiving end of police incompetence, the lack of oversight is troublesome but more so, the belief by those involved that they were above the law.

All that said, all loss of life is something to be grieved. When all criminals are held to account, I think things will be better (just my personal views obviously).
Your reply is about police accountability whereas my thoughts on Taking The Knee is that I find it cringe-worthy and has no place on the sports field or anywhere else for that matter, except perhaps in a place of worship or in the privacy of your own home.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Your reply is about police accountability whereas my thoughts on Taking The Knee is that I find it cringe-worthy and has no place on the sports field or anywhere else for that matter, except perhaps in a place of worship or in the privacy of your own home.
So what is your alternative? Sports personalities and celebrities shouldn't use their prominence to highlight injustices? Or that they should do so off field and out of the spotlight?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I was just about to say pretty much the same.

But that's not to say I disagree with 'Sparkles comments. It's just a different issue.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 3:07 am

Thanks, I was just about to say pretty much the same.

But that's not to say I disagree with 'Sparkles comments. It's just a different issue.
Okay, bit lost then - you wanted sports stars to take a knee for the officer? You don't want them to take a knee related to racial injustice because you think it relates solely to the death of George Floyd? You wanted a minutes silence for an officer killed in the line of duty? Do you want a minutes silence for other emergency service workers killed doing their jobs? You wanted sports persons to take a knee for VJ day?

Old Oct 5th 2020, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Okay, bit lost then - you wanted sports stars to take a knee for the officer? You don't want them to take a knee related to racial injustice because you think it relates solely to the death of George Floyd? You wanted a minutes silence for an officer killed in the line of duty? Do you want a minutes silence for other emergency service workers killed doing their jobs? You wanted sports persons to take a knee for VJ day?
Actually, my preference would be to get rid of Taking The Knee in public, given that I regard it as politically motivated cringe-worthy BS.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 3:28 am

Actually, my preference would be to get rid of Taking The Knee in public, given that I regard it as politically motivated cringe-worthy BS.
So why the reference to the officer killed? Or VJ day?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 3:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought people in the public eye weren't allowed to voice/publicise an opinion on anything? Aren't they supposed to keep quiet and let the experts general public mouth off? Now they're in trouble if they kneel, in trouble if they don't. Very glad I'm not in the public eye, sounds complicated.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope. publicly "taking the knee" such as we're seeing is yet more political correct virtue signalling imported from the lunatic fringe of the USA. Our country, one of the finest, most un-racist countries in the world is way better than to be subjected to and/or submit to an ideology that aims to divide us. If those sports stars want to repeatedly honour and/or submit themselves to something, then better they honour or submit themselves to our fallen heroes and heroines - for they are immeasurably more worthy.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 3:57 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

So you're happy to close your eyes to the the racial injustices and are just butt hurt that people are trying to bring attention to it, right??

Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:00 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. publicly "taking the knee" such as we're seeing is yet more political correct virtue signalling imported from the lunatic fringe of the USA. Our country, one of the finest, most un-racist countries in the world is way better than to be subjected to and/or submit to an ideology that aims to divide us. If those sports stars want to repeatedly honour and/or submit themselves to something, then better they honour or submit themselves to our fallen heroes and heroines - for they are immeasurably more worthy.
There is no racism in Australia. I think that is totally amazing.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
There is no racism in Australia. I think that is totally amazing.
There's plenty of racism in Australia. Take it from a real Aussie.

Edit: to clarify, 'a real Aussie' is someone who not only lives here, but also bothers to actually look around and see the country as it is, great bits, horrible bits and all. It doesn't matter where they were born, but it matters that they don't lie.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 5th 2020 at 4:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.