British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/shamima-begum-has-uk-citizenship-revoked-922232/)

Expatrick Feb 20th 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Originally Posted by Bipat

It is worth comparing Shamima with that other 15 year old Malala Yousafzai shot for daring to attend school. Look how she has made her life.
Her speech to the UN---'One book, one pen----one child'!!
Maybe at least this one child of Shamima Begum should be rescued somehow.

Samantha Lewthwaite might be a better comparison.
​​​​​​

BristolUK Feb 20th 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12640010)
It’s worked many times before. Notification is sent to the last known UK address...Not saying it’s right or wrong, but the legal precedent exists.

Completely different topic (Tenancy act) and a different country but Notice to vacate (a step to eviction) has to be "given" in Canada (my province and, no doubt, others) and that's defined as having been mailed or even stuck to their front door!

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12640021)
...left in the camp where she will be subject to further brainwashing...

I'm unsure about this. Aren't there more refugees there displaced (at least in part) because of ISIS than would be ISIS supporters? She was already radicalised in the UK and reports suggest that's a strong possibility in a UK prison. Further brainwashing might be less likely where she is now and even if it happened what 'bad' can she do about it?

The lack of contrition has been suggested as self-preservation from other ISIS people in the camp. I've mentioned this before but there's another similar case of a woman in the same camp who wants to return to America. She has shown remorse and she has also admitted to doing far more in terms of recruiting and encouraging bloodshed. Reprisals from ISIS don't seem to have put her off.

It might be worth both being interviewed by the same experts and have them (the experts) compare.

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12640085)
There are so many questions about this girl. Was she radicalised before or just when she was there? .

A schoolfriend preceded her. She went with two other friends, following a secret plan which involved her sister's passport. I think it's fair to say she was radicalised/brainwashed before going.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12640176)
Got it, no worries. The multi-quote has always been no worky for me (only because I can't be arsed learning how to do it)

What's to learn? :p

Bipat Feb 20th 2019 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12640353)

Originally Posted by Bipat

It is worth comparing Shamima with that other 15 year old Malala Yousafzai shot for daring to attend school. Look how she has made her life.
Her speech to the UN---'One book, one pen----one child'!!
Maybe at least this one child of Shamima Begum should be rescued somehow.

Samantha Lewthwaite might be a better comparison.
​​​​​​

I should have used the word "contrast" rather than "compare"-----but I think it is obvious what I meant. I was also making a point about her child's future.

EMR Feb 20th 2019 5:19 pm

What's better for the UK, that she is investigated, kept in a secure location, De radicalized , or remains somewhere out of the UK, under the control of Isis, maybe becoming increasingly bitter about the UK, recruiting more potential bombers etc..
A simple risk assessment will prove that it is better for the UK that she be somewhere we we can control her actions.

BritInParis Feb 20th 2019 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12640394)
What's better for the UK, that she is investigated, kept in a secure location, De radicalized , or remains somewhere out of the UK, under the control of Isis, maybe becoming increasingly bitter about the UK, recruiting more potential bombers etc..
A simple risk assessment will prove that it is better for the UK that she be somewhere we we can control her actions.

Given the amount of radicalisation that goes on in British prisons leaving her to rot in Syria or Bangladesh seems a much safer option. She’s not exactly a terrorist mastermind.

Boiler Feb 20th 2019 5:39 pm

How do you de radicalise?

I see it mentioned a lot but nobody explains the process or gives good examples where it has worked in previous populations.

EMR Feb 20th 2019 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12640410)
Given the amount of radicalisation that goes on in British prisons leaving her to rot in Syria or Bangladesh seems a much safer option. She’s not exactly a terrorist mastermind.

What evidence do you have of radicalisation within women's prisons...

BristolUK Feb 20th 2019 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12640414)

Soak overnight. ;)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...44253bde07.png

EMR Feb 20th 2019 5:58 pm

I see it mentioned a lot but nobody explains the process or gives good examples where it has worked in previous populations.

The same methods used to deal with those rescued from cults..
De programming is an established practice..

EMR Feb 20th 2019 5:58 pm

The same methods used to deal with those rescued from cults..
De programming is an established practice...

Giantaxe Feb 20th 2019 6:00 pm

Bangladesh claiming she's not a dual citizen:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ted-says-javid

EMR Feb 20th 2019 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12640410)

Rotting, no, recruiting more bombers probably.
Is that a risk you want the UK to take.,?

mmmmbuti Feb 20th 2019 6:02 pm

Bangladesh government has just said she is not a Bangladeshi citizen and will not be allowed in there. Her only citizenship is British since she was born here. So she is stateless and stranded in Syria thanks to the Tories. Well done!!

materialcontroller Feb 20th 2019 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by mmmmbuti (Post 12640431)
Bangladesh government has just said she is not a Bangladeshi citizen and will not be allowed in there. Her only citizenship is British since she was born here. So she is stateless and stranded in Syria thanks to the Tories. Well done!!

So let her suffer in Syria then. She went there willingly in the first place.

chawkins99 Feb 20th 2019 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by mmmmbuti (Post 12640431)

According to the BBC story,

Lawyers have told the BBC that under Bangladesh law, a UK national like Ms Begum who is born to a Bangladeshi parent is automatically a Bangladeshi citizen. That means that such a person would have dual nationality.

The Bangladeshi authorities however assert Ms Begum is not a Bangledeshi citizen.

Under this "blood line" law, Bangladeshi nationality and citizenship lapse when a person reaches the age of 21, unless they make active efforts to retain it.
So, she is a Bangladeshi citizen until she turns 21.