British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/shamima-begum-has-uk-citizenship-revoked-922232/)

BritInParis Feb 20th 2019 3:41 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12640307)
We have some macro explanations (as you point out) but this seems to be a chance at getting a more individual/micro view of the issues. Yes she had a couple of like minded friends, but hundreds of others in the school, and thousands others accross the country do not get sucked in. Given her current vulnerable circumstances, it would seem a good time to pick her brain a bit.

Good luck. They doesn’t seem to be much to pick.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2019 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12640294)
So what is the plan, shrug shoulders and what will be will be.

Does anybody really think this is some sort of phase and it will sort itself out?

The plan is that if she has not broken any UK laws then what's the problem?

If she has broken UK laws take her to court and if found guilty lock her up.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2019 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12640300)
Except her peers did, at least three of them. Her home and school may be within the UK but her community - parents, friends, neighbours - would have been overwhelmingly Muslims of Bengali descent. We know what the problem is - parallel communities failing to integrate and failing to succeed - but our political class is too frightened of being accused of racism/Islamophobia to actually do anything about it. Dame Louise Casey was even commissioned to write an independent report which was then quietly shelved. It’s worth reading.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-integration

I think it's called "multiculturalism" and is something we should all applaud. Apparently.

Boiler Feb 20th 2019 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12640318)

Well I am assuming she did not do anything before she left much beyond stealing her Sister's passport.

I would have thought the problem is pretty obvious. So we are back to what will be will be.

Bipat Feb 20th 2019 3:55 pm

Except her peers did, at least three of them. Her home and school may be within the UK but her community - parents, friends, neighbours - would have been overwhelmingly Muslims of Bengali descent. We know what the problem is - parallel communities failing to integrate and failing to succeed - but our political class is too frightened of being a
ccused of racism/Islamophobia to actually do anything about it. Dame Louise Casey was even commissioned to write an independent report which was then quietly shelved. It’s worth reading.

Failure to integrate or be able to integrate can have many reasons. Bangladeshi/Bengali Muslims ----in general----tend to be more liberal than some other groups.

Shard Feb 20th 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12640318)

Black and white as usual. What if she did break some UK laws, but being a war and all that, over there in the Caliphate, we can't prove a thing. What if she's well connected in ISIS and planning to make/support an attack in Britain? Bring her back pay her some hardship money and install her in a council house?

Shard Feb 20th 2019 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12640327)
Failure to integrate or be able to integrate can have many reasons. Bangladeshi/Bengali Muslims ----in general----tend to be more liberal than some other groups.

Although the principal reason, whatever the nationality, is religion.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2019 3:59 pm

Except her peers did, at least three of them. Her home and school may be within the UK but her community - parents, friends, neighbours - would have been overwhelmingly Muslims of Bengali descent. We know what the problem is - parallel communities failing to integrate and failing to succeed - but our political class is too frightened of being accused of racism/Islamophobia to actually do anything about it. Dame Louise Casey was even commissioned to write an independent report which was then quietly shelved. It’s worth reading.

And yes, an interesting read indeed.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2019 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12640324)
Well I am assuming she did not do anything before she left much beyond stealing her Sister's passport.

I would have thought the problem is pretty obvious. So we are back to what will be will be.

You don't have to be in the UK to break UK laws. Perhaps she has incited terrorism.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2019 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12640328)
Black and white as usual. What if she did break some UK laws, but being a war and all that, over there in the Caliphate, we can't prove a thing. What if she's well connected in ISIS and planning to make/support an attack in Britain? Bring her back pay her some hardship money and install her in a council house?

If you can't prove it, she didn't do it.

If she's well connected and planning an attack then the UK authorities will need to catch her.

Boiler Feb 20th 2019 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12640334)
You don't have to be in the UK to break UK laws. Perhaps she has incited terrorism.

I realise that, I also realise the practicalities.

How would you suggest the investigation and prosecution is carried out..

Expatrick Feb 20th 2019 4:09 pm

Was she not recorded "justifying" the Manchester attack?

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12640337)
I realise that, I also realise the practicalities.

How would you suggest the investigation and prosecution is carried out..

One of my friends is an anti-terrorism officer, just spent time out in Kenya.

I suggest the UK authorities review whether her acts of going to Syria, her joining ISIS, her public pronouncements etc contravene any UK laws. They should also interview her extensively whilst holding her under anti-terrorism terms.

We will likely not know what crimes (if any) she undertook in Syria, just like we won't know what crimes any expats undertook in their respective locations that they were not caught for.

Cape Blue Feb 20th 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12640339)
Was she not recorded "justifying" the Manchester attack?

And if that contravenes UK laws she should be soundly prosecuted for it.

Shard Feb 20th 2019 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12640336)
If you can't prove it, she didn't do it.

Illogical.