Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

I saw Diana Abbott has chimed in as you might expect and Shamima has been told of the revocation and is talking about moving to Holland.

Even is she does move back to the UK and decides at some future point to take a trip to Oxford Street and blow herself and others up it is a relatively small event.

Much more concerning relevant is what the future holds, I hear about de radicalised, that the Judicial system can deal with it, how?, monitoring, maybe for a handful but in these numbers?

I wonder what the people defending expect the future to be, or do they not consider it?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
What would be interesting, now that she has time on her hands, would be some in-depth journalistic interviews into WHY she converted to Isis. What happened in her life, community between the ages 12-15 that made her feel compelled to join this Islamic struggle in a war zone. What videos did she watch? Who persuaded her? Why did she feel the need to reject Britain.
I agree, it would be valuable to get some insights into why she went down that path. Unfortunately, without the carrot of a return to the UK I doubt she'd be interested in giving this information.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I agree, it would be valuable to get some insights into why she went down that path. Unfortunately, without the carrot of a return to the UK I doubt she'd be interested in giving this information.
There are at least 400 others who have returned, they could be asked.

If you add the EU in then many thousands, I doubt anybody knows the real number.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
There are at least 400 others who have returned, they could be asked.
I'm sure they have been.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:50 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
She'll probably be bored in the refugee camp and welcome the chance to explain herself. Especially when she fully realises that the Caliphate wasn't just an extended gap year. I suppose it depends on her true affinity with Britain. I think a lot of fundamentalist Muslims see it just as a patch of European land where they can practice their primitive faith. She might have no interest in explaining herself. The other possibility is that she is able to go to Holland and be with her husband.
​​​​​
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you watch the interviews they have sort of explained themselves, I get the impression that some think that this is an aberration that can be corrected somehow,

Her husband has a 6 year sentence to serve when he gets back, if he gets back.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:59 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

If you watch the interviews they have sort of explained themselves, I get the impression that some think that this is an aberration that can be corrected somehow,

Her husband has a 6 year sentence to serve when he gets back, if he gets back.
Fairly superficial explanations so far.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fairly superficial explanations so far.
I am not sure what you expect, she said she followed her beliefs.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:08 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I saw Diana Abbott has chimed in as you might expect and Shamima has been told of the revocation and is talking about moving to Holland.

Even is she does move back to the UK and decides at some future point to take a trip to Oxford Street and blow herself and others up it is a relatively small event.

Much more concerning relevant is what the future holds, I hear about de radicalised, that the Judicial system can deal with it, how?, monitoring, maybe for a handful but in these numbers?

I wonder what the people defending expect the future to be, or do they not consider it?
Please don't tell me I'm on the same side of an argument with Diane Abbot - that's enough to send any sane person over the edge.

If Shamima has broken UK laws I would expect her to be found guilty and end up in prison.

I just don't think the UK should be able to strip a British citizen of their citizenship.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:17 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Just exclude her - permanently.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:20 pm
F.orum Ape

I am not sure what you expect, she said she followed her beliefs.
Yes but how does such a young woman come to those beliefs. She was living in Britain and going to a state school. Her peers may have shared religious beliefs, but did not take this path. There was some kind of societal failure, which we ought to be aware of.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Please don't tell me I'm on the same side of an argument with Diane Abbot - that's enough to send any sane person over the edge.

If Shamima has broken UK laws I would expect her to be found guilty and end up in prison.

I just don't think the UK should be able to strip a British citizen of their citizenship.
So what is the plan, shrug shoulders and what will be will be.

Does anybody really think this is some sort of phase and it will sort itself out?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:28 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I may have read too much fiction. But I thought the whole point of grooming westerners like her, was to produce undercover offspring to be nurtured in the west and unleashed in the future?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but how does such a young woman come to those beliefs. She was living in Britain and going to a state school. Her peers may have shared religious beliefs, but did not take this path. There was some kind of societal failure, which we ought to be aware of.
Except her peers did, at least three of them. Her home and school may be within the UK but her community - parents, friends, neighbours - would have been overwhelmingly Muslims of Bengali descent. We know what the problem is - parallel communities failing to integrate and failing to succeed - but our political class is too frightened of being accused of racism/Islamophobia to actually do anything about it. Dame Louise Casey was even commissioned to write an independent report which was then quietly shelved. It’s worth reading.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-integration
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:38 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Except her peers did, at least three of them. Her home and school may be within the UK but her community - parents, friends, neighbours - would have been overwhelmingly Muslims of Bengali descent. We know what the problem is - parallel communities failing to integrate and failing to succeed - but our political class is too frightened of being accused of racism/Islamophobia to actually do anything about it. Dame Louise Casey was even commissioned to write an independent report which was then quietly shelved. It’s worth reading.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-integration
We have some macro explanations (as you point out) but this seems to be a chance at getting a more individual/micro view of the issues. Yes she had a couple of like minded friends, but hundreds of others in the school, and thousands others accross the country do not get sucked in. Given her current vulnerable circumstances, it would seem a good time to pick her brain a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.