British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/shamima-begum-has-uk-citizenship-revoked-922232/)

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 4:29 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12671257)
SYRIA. Iraq. TURKEY, the kurdish enclaves. do you follow the news.

Obviously we are enlightened liberals and are better than those uncivilized savages. :rolleyes:

EMR Apr 15th 2019 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12671268)
Obviously we are enlightened liberals and are better than those uncivilized savages. :rolleyes:

​​​​
I take it you would be more than happy to have your future decided by a court in any of those regimes.
Off you go then.

Boiler Apr 15th 2019 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12671283)
​​​​
I take it you would be more than happy to have your future decided by a court in any of those regimes.
Off you go then.

I would not have been happy, but I realised that would have been the case when I was there. Best to keep you nose clean, well not engage in Human Rights abuses.

And to state the obvious she did chose voluntarily to go there.

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12671284)
I would not have been happy, but I realised that would have been the case when I was there. Best to keep you nose clean, well not engage in Human Rights abuses.

And to state the obvious she did chose voluntarily to go there.

That's about all I have to say on the subject.

@EMR: If you go to another country then you are subject to their laws - are you seriously suggesting that it is right to foist our liberal views of crimes and punishment on other countries? I would never guessed that you're a neo-colonial? :unsure:

Boiler Apr 15th 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12671293)

@EMR: If you go to another country then you are subject to their laws - are you seriously suggesting that it is right to foist our liberal views of crimes and punishment on other countries? I would never guessed that you're a neo-colonial? :unsure:

Reminds me of those stories often seen in the Daily Mail when somebody's Grannie has been arrested for smuggling drugs in Thailand and are appalled at the state of the Jails and the likely sentence.

EMR Apr 15th 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12671293)

Clearly you and Boiler support Assads genocide regime, because that decides what form justice takes in Syria the Shiite extremists in Iraq, the Erdogan regime in Turkey.
No doubt you would have supported the Nazi extermination laws, condemning anyone who fought against them, being the laws of that country at that time.
I regard us as better than, Isis, not believing its ok to act like them.
It is UK law she broke and UK law that she is appealing against.

Boiler Apr 15th 2019 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12671300)
Clearly you and Boiler support Assads genocide regime, because that decides what form justice takes in Syria the Shiite extremists in Iraq, the Erdogan regime in Turkey.
No doubt you would have supported the Nazi extermination laws, condemning anyone who fought against them, being the laws of that country at that time.
I regard us as better than, Isis, not believing its ok to act like them.
It is UK law she broke and UK law that she is appealing against.

I do not wish to speak for Mr P but clearly I do not support such regimes, no idea how you obtained that impression. I have seen mo mention that she was fighting against such laws, seems to be she was an active participant so to use your analogy it would be akin to the many foreigners who supported the Nazis and were subsequently prosecuted for their crimes.

I am not that familiar with the laws in Syria but I assume that they would punish murder, slavery, rape etc. Both those who engaged in such activities and their accomplices.

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12671303)
…. clearly I do not support such regimes, no idea how you obtained that impression. I have seen mo mention that she was fighting against such laws, seems to be she was an active participant so to use your analogy it would be akin to the many who foreigners supported the Nazis and were subsequently prosecuted for their crimes.

I am not that familiar with the laws in Syria but I assume that they would punish murder, slavery, rape etc. Both those who engaged in such activities and their accomplices.

Ditto. :goodpost:

EMR Apr 15th 2019 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12671303)
I do not wish to speak for Mr P but clearly I do not support such regimes, no idea how you obtained that impression. I have seen mo mention that she was fighting against such laws, seems to be she was an active participant so to use your analogy it would be akin to the many foreigners who supported the Nazis and were subsequently prosecuted for their crimes.

The case in question relates to UK law,
She is not held under the jurisdiction of any country and therefore not subject to the laws of any country..
There is a case for the International courts to become the arbiter but which country would want to jail them.
Strange how you seem to suddenly support the law but lived in a country that transferred individuals thousands of miles to Guantanomo bay for acting in the Same way as Isis, why were they not tried subject to the laws of the countries where they were captured..Afganistan, Iraq, Pakistan, etc.

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12671313)
..... She is not held under the jurisdiction of any country and therefore not subject to the laws of any country. ….

:blink: Seriously? Now you're coming out in support of Guantanamo? Oh my! You're full of surprises today! :confused:

Boiler Apr 15th 2019 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12671313)
The case in question relates to UK law,
She is not held under the jurisdiction of any country and therefore not subject to the laws of any country..
There is a case for the International courts to become the arbiter but which country would want to jail them.
Strange how you seem to suddenly support the law but lived in a country that transferred individuals thousands of miles to Guantanamo bay for acting in the Same way as Isis, why were they not tried subject to the laws of the countries where they were captured..Afganistan, Iraq, Pakistan, etc.

Very few were transferred to Guantanamo, most were dealt with in the areas they committed their crimes.

Not sure what you mean not in the jurisdiction, they are in Syria and in the jurisdiction of whoever is controlling the camps.

EMR Apr 15th 2019 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12671341)
Very few were transferred to Guantanamo, most were dealt with in the areas they committed their crimes.

Not sure what you mean not in the jurisdiction, they are in Syria and in the jurisdiction of whoever is controlling the camps.

Just under 800 transferred to Guantanomo bay, just how little about US affairs do Americans know., judging by tonight's posts a hell of a lot..
How many of that 800 committed a crime on US soil, 4, 5 , maybe 6.?
No sovereign nation is controlling the camps where the Isiscwomen and children are located..
There is no Kurdish sovereign nation..
It has been in the news.

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12671347)
Just under 800 transferred to Guantanomo bay, just how little about US affairs do Americans know., judging by tonight's posts a hell of a lot..
How many of that 800 committed a crime on US soil, 4, 5 , maybe 6.?

Your posts today only show how little you know. Guantanamo was built specifically to hold those who were captured in a political no-mans-land battlefield situation and who appeared in many respects to be stateless (they were disowned by their home country) or where there was no central government to hold and prosecute them as appropriate, or it wasn't immediately clear which country truly was their home country. When a country was willing (later) to accept jurisdiction for them they were sent there, that is how most of the men held there were disposed of. It did lead to some peculiar arrangements though, notably with the 22 Uighurs sent to several countries including Albania, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Bermuda.

The fact that a few, very few men were transferred to Guantanamo from within the US is the anomaly.

EMR Apr 15th 2019 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12671351)
Your posts today only show how little you know. Guantanamo was built specifically to hold those who were captured in a political no-mans-land battlefield situation and who appeared in many respects to be stateless (they were disowned by their home country) or where there was no central government to hold and prosecute them as appropriate, or it wasn't immediately clear which country truly was their home country. When a country was willing (later) to accept jurisdiction for them they were sent there, that is how most of the men held there were disposed of. It did lead to some peculiar arrangements though, notably with the 22 Uighurs sent to several countries including Albania, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Bermuda.

The fact that a few, very few men were transferred to Guantanamo from within the US is the anomaly.

Just like Syria and Iraq then for the last few years of civil war, Isis caliphate.
Just shows how little you know.
But then the rule of law and the US under Bush were never on the Same page were they.
Unlike the UK where the law will decide the future of this stupid girl..

Boiler Apr 15th 2019 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12671354)
Just like Syria and Iraq then for the last few years of civil war, Isis caliphate.
Just shows how little you know.
But then the rule of law and the US under Bush were never on the Same page were they.
Unlike the UK where the law will decide the future of this stupid girl..

The UK situation is a bit moot, we can hope that justice will be done.