British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/shamima-begum-has-uk-citizenship-revoked-922232/)

spouse of scouse Apr 15th 2019 2:10 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12671125)
From the BBC arcile on the subject:. It all seems like a perfectly normal procedure that follows British law, and law should never be confused with a popularity contest. Nor is "due process" the same as 'judgement". Whatever one's feelings on this woman's actions, sidestepping the law on individual cases isn't a good idea at all.

.."Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said the Legal Aid Agency's decision to assist Ms Begum made him "very uncomfortable".
He added, however, that the UK was "a country that believes that people with limited means should have access to the resources of the state if they want to challenge the decisions the state has made about them"...

...The legal aid that has been granted covers a case before the semi-secret Special Immigration Appeals Commission, which adjudicates on cases where the home secretary has stripped someone of their nationality on grounds of national security....

...It is not yet clear when the case will be heard but the Siac process can take years to complete - and granting of legal aid in these circumstances is not unusual.
Over the last decade or so there have been many other people stripped of nationality on the basis they are linked to terrorism who have been legally-aided during the SIAC process."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47934721

Yes. Begum's appealing a decision made by the government and both parties must have legal representation, otherwise it would just be a farce. My hope that the government's decision is upheld doesn't affect my opinion that the decision should be properly tested against UK law.

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12671137)
… Well I can see that she is entitled to take the case through the system, how you morally justify paying her legal defence costs and not those of others dealing with the legal system is a mystery. So much for equality.

:goodpost:

Lion in Winter Apr 15th 2019 2:12 pm

Her punishment should be according to her own belief systems?

What, Sharia law in the UK you mean? You'll be giving some people apoplexy with posts like that :lol:

Well I can see that she is entitled to take the case through the system, how you morally justify paying her legal defence costs and not those of others dealing with the legal system is a mystery. So much for equality.

Indeed. if there are others who cannot pay to defend themselves properly and legal aid is not being granted, then it should be given, and now. The whole point of equality under the law is that, well, we are all equal under the law both in terms of its penalties and its protections.

Expatrick Apr 15th 2019 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12640062)
Apparenty her parents are taking legal action - no doubt at the expense of the British taxpayer.

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12640069)
I don't think the taxpayer will have to pay for her legal appeal. Although, obviously plenty of HO resource will be wasted on this silly woman.

Harrumph!

Lion in Winter Apr 15th 2019 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12671139)
Yes. Begum's appealing a decision made by the government and both parties must have legal representation, otherwise it would just be a farce. My hope that the government's decision is upheld doesn't affect my opinion that the decision should be properly tested against UK law.

Exactly. Due process is due process, otherwise it's meaningless.

BristolUK Apr 15th 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12671125)
It all seems like a perfectly normal procedure that follows British law, and law should never be confused with a popularity contest.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...fa3da05678.jpg

Lion in Winter Apr 15th 2019 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12671151)

Not sure how to read my score. :p

spouse of scouse Apr 15th 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12671151)

It doesn't work. I tried clapping and the indicator didn't move :frown:

Lion in Winter Apr 15th 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12671156)
It doesn't work. I tried clapping and the indicator didn't move :frown:

Typical :frown:

Probably an austerity measure. I bet the elite's clapometers work :frown:

EMR Apr 15th 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12671140)
:goodpost:

Says another elderly Brit living in Trumps paradise..
There is nothing about rights and justice that you can teach us or pretend is better than the UK system.

spouse of scouse Apr 15th 2019 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12671157)
Typical :frown:

Probably an austerity measure. I bet the elite's clapometers work :frown:

That'd be right. Clapped out clapometers are good enough for us plebs :(

Lion in Winter Apr 15th 2019 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12671158)
Says another elderly Brit living in Trumps paradise..
There is nothing about rights and justice that you can teach us or pretend is better than the UK system.

I don't think he's that old :lol:

Also, he can fix your roof.

Boiler Apr 15th 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12671147)
Exactly. Due process is due process, otherwise it's meaningless.

Well we are getting ahead of ourselves she has due process for her crimes in Syria to contend with first,

Lion in Winter Apr 15th 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12671164)
Well we are getting ahead of ourselves she has due process for her crimes in Syria to contend with first,

Well there you go then. Hang onto your stones for a bit...

If we are prosecuting for crimes in Syria, there are a few governemtal figures I would like to throw in.

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12671143)
What, Sharia law in the UK you mean? ....

Isn't that what she wanted? Surely she would welcome that? :unsure:

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12671166)
Well there you go then. Hang onto your stones for a bit. ...

I shall work on collecting a few. :)