Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:05 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
He's not really a 'bloke in an office' he's a minister of state, acting on behalf of the government. He and the government must account for their actions. It's a decision, and not an arbitrary one. The judicial process will determine whether he had authority or not. I would say you are over-thinking it.
That's often the case. But ministers of the state are blokes ( or women) in offices. They aren't special and their powers should be limited by the rule of law without having to wait for an election.

But I am glad that his decision will be reviewed by the courts, if that is the case.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:12 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I like her being just where she is.

All that's needed now is for everyone to completely forget about her and leave her to scrape out whatever kind of shitty existence she can in what I hope is a miserable, bleak, unrelentingly crap life.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Well this is awkward - there is a good point here, which I also mentioned upthread.

As repugnant as this young woman's words and actions are, and as much as she in herself probably provides no value to the UK at all or anyone else very much, and as much as it's natural and understandable to want to keep her out (a feeling that I share at the personal level), I do worry about a minister, a functionary of the state, being able to remove someone's citizenship in absentia, at the stroke of a pen, no investigation and no due process at all. Just some bloke in an office.

This is not about any perceived injustice to her personally - I can't muster up any sympathy - but as a process, the ability of a government functionary to remove citizenship in this way strikes me as undesirable. I'm sure we can all imagine - and even recognize from not-too-distant history - situations where such powers have been appallingly misused.

I'll duck and cover now...
I think the point that removing someone's citizenship without any investigation/due process creates an undesirable precedent is a good one. Although it could be argued that the available facts (joining a terrorist organisation, supporting a terrorist organisation, retaining a terrorist ideology), if they'd been uncovered as the result of an investigation, would be considered sufficient evidence to remove a dual citizen's UK citizenship.

Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I think the point that removing someone's citizenship without any investigation/due process creates an undesirable precedent is a good one. Although it could be argued that the available facts (joining a terrorist organisation, supporting a terrorist organisation, retaining a terrorist ideology), if they'd been uncovered as the result of an investigation, would be considered sufficient evidence to remove a dual citizen's UK citizenship.
I agree - if evidence is offered, in a place where evidence is offered under the rule of law and where justice can be seen to be done. Not in some government functionary's office and because they want to.

If it happens next to someone we agree with, or who we think is worthy of UK ctizenship, what recourse will there be?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 20th 2019 at 12:22 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - if evidence is offered, in a place where evidence is offered under the rule of law and where justice can be seen to be done. Not in some government functionary's office and because they want to.
I get what you're saying. I guess the Begum family's lawyer's challenge to the decision will give the UK government the opportunity to present that evidence, and the defence an opportunity to refute/mitigate it.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:33 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I get what you're saying. I guess the Begum family's lawyer's challenge to the decision will give the UK government the opportunity to present that evidence, and the defence an opportunity to refute/mitigate it.
Yes. I think Javid took a bold, if highly politicised decision. We have weigh over-stepping ministerial authority with the signalling effect, and potentially with national security concerns. There are a few hundred returnees and it's important for the government to determine its authority and precedent on this issue as soon as possible.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

If it happens next to someone we agree with, or who we think is worthy of UK ctizenship, what recourse will there be?
You really have a problem with authority, don't you?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the sentiment, but how do you know there was no investigation?
I don't, for one second, believe that a government minister read the headline in the daily rag and decided unilaterally to revoke her citizenship based on that.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
You really have a problem with authority, don't you?
That's a bit of a silly comment in an otherwise sensible discussion. Why does every thread in TIO have to be turned into a children's playground fight?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Yes. I think Javid took a bold, if highly politicised decision. We have weigh over-stepping ministerial authority with the signalling effect, and potentially with national security concerns. There are a few hundred returnees and it's important for the government to determine its authority and precedent on this issue as soon as possible.
Agreed. This one case is a drop in the bucket. Who will be tried, and who will just be decided upon by the government? It isn't simple at all.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bit of a silly comment in an otherwise sensible discussion. Why does every thread in TIO have to be turned into a children's playground fight?
Sorry, I realise that it might have been somewhat of a flippant comment, but given your post history and views (which are rather well known by now), I wouldn't class it as silly.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:52 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
I agree with the sentiment, but how do you know there was no investigation?
I don't, for one second, believe that a government minister read the headline in the daily rag and decided unilaterally to revoke her citizenship based on that.
I don't know that there was no investigation, that wasn't what I was saying (or at least, it wasn't what I meant to say!).
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know that there was no investigation, that wasn't what I was saying (or at least, it wasn't what I meant to say!).
Blame multi-quote no-worky.

It wasn't specifically directed at you but at several posts that seem to hint that it was a purely political knee-jerk reaction by the home office without any in-depth investigation.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
Sorry, I realise that it might have been somewhat of a flippant comment, but given your post history and views (which are rather well known by now), I wouldn't class it as silly.
If you are asking whether I think the power of the state should be transparently limited by the rule of law, then the answer is yes.

Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. This one case is a drop in the bucket. Who will be tried, and who will just be decided upon by the government? It isn't simple at all.
Over 100 have already been stripped over the last few years; we’re just talking about this one. The legislation and precedent are long established.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.