British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/shamima-begum-has-uk-citizenship-revoked-922232/)

Pulaski Mar 12th 2019 12:57 am

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12651838)
Is that like "bigly", only bigger?

It's not a physical thing, like hugely, it's bigger in a conceptual way, so bigger than "significantly". :nod:

anotherlimey Mar 12th 2019 1:55 am

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12651577)
So what is the non risk solution?

Bombing them first.


stevenglish1 Mar 12th 2019 5:49 am

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12651669)
I find it incredible that so many people have already written her off as so much trash for someone else to dispose of, based on the "evidence" of media reports. Would the same be done in other circumstances - would you suggest that the girlfriend of a burglar should suffer the same fate as her partner? Or is there something special about her, apart from her being in the spotlight?

Doesn't that all depend on whether the burglar's girlfriend knew what he was before she ran away to Liverpool to be with him?


Daesh follow a perversion of Islam, a cruel and unforgiving doctrine that attempts to "justify" the mistreatment of their victims.
Yet this piece of work ran away from the relative safety of the UK to join them, definitely deserves a second chance

EMR Mar 12th 2019 8:10 am

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 12651917)
Bombing them first.

Killing children , is that what you mean.

anotherlimey Mar 12th 2019 10:57 am

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12651975)
Killing children , is that what you mean.

no, just bomb them first

EMR Mar 12th 2019 11:20 am

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 12652078)
no, just bomb them first

We have been doing that for years, killed a lot of women and children.

anotherlimey Mar 12th 2019 12:09 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12652100)
We have been doing that for years, killed a lot of women and children.

maybe not the right people.

it's quite simple, you want to reduce the risk, but I just eliminated it.

EMR Mar 12th 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 12652142)
maybe not the right people.

it's quite simple, you want to reduce the risk, but I just eliminated it.

Killing women and children.

macliam Mar 12th 2019 12:58 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12651949)
Doesn't that all depend on whether the burglar's girlfriend knew what he was before she ran away to Liverpool to be with him?

No - there is no charge of "guilt by association", except in the court of public opinion.


Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12651949)
Yet this piece of work ran away from the relative safety of the UK to join them, definitely deserves a second chance

So, all white South Africans who lived there during apartheid are racists - or just the UK migrants who moved there?

Boiler Mar 12th 2019 1:01 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12652166)
No - there is no charge of "guilt by association", except in the court of public opinion.

So, all white South Africans who lived there during apartheid are racists?

I would imagine that the ones who said they were, were, why should we not believe them?

macliam Mar 12th 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12652167)
I would imagine that the ones who said they were, were, why should we not believe them?

..... and those who deny it?
Despite much wriggling, nobody has justified the treatment of this woman (and others) set against the return of over 400 actual fighters, who did all she did and more.

Boiler Mar 12th 2019 1:18 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12652171)
..... and those who deny it?
Despite much wriggling, nobody has justified the treatment of this woman (and others) set against the return of over 400 actual fighters, who did all she did and more.

She has not denied it so irrelevant to this thread.

If I was King I would not have let any of the 400 in, assuming that is correct, or whatever the number is, but I am not and I realise we are where we are. A deeply unpleasant place and only going to get worse, much worse.

It is now part and parcel of living in the UK, and of course many other places, times change.

macliam Mar 12th 2019 1:49 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12652178)
She has not denied it so irrelevant to this thread.

If I was King I would not have let any of the 400 in, assuming that is correct, or whatever the number is, but I am not and I realise we are where we are. A deeply unpleasant place and only going to get worse, much worse.

It is now part and parcel of living in the UK, and of course many other places, times change.

Denied what? Has she admitted carrying out any crimes, has she been charged? As far as I have seen she has said she was a housewife - and her husband has said the same. I think what she did is wrong, I think her beliefs are wrong, I despair that an apparently intelligent young woman chooses to forego the comforts of western privilege. Any misdeeds on her part should be punished, but under the law, not by casting her out and destroying her by proxy.

There is no king and precious few absolute powers, so you would have to abide by legal process. Belief in something that others find abhorrent is not punishable - there are plenty of people in the UK who would be in trouble if it were. Only if crimes are committed and proven can punishment take place (apart, of course, from those incarcerated without trial or charge in Guantanamo - who could not be treated in the same way in mainland USA). Are you suggesting that this is another case where normal mores should be put aside? To do so is a slippery slope.....

Lion in Winter Mar 12th 2019 2:00 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12652197)
Denied what? Has she admitted carrying out any crimes, has she been charged? As far as I have seen she has said she was a housewife - and her husband has said the same. I think what she did is wrong, I think her beliefs are wrong, I despair that an apparently intelligent young woman chooses to forego the comforts of western privilege. Any misdeeds on her part should be punished, but under the law, not by casting her out and destroying her by proxy.

There is no king and precious few absolute powers, so you would have to abide by legal process. Belief in something that others find abhorrent is not punishable - there are plenty of people in the UK who would be in trouble if it were. Only if crimes are committed and proven can punishment take place (apart, of course, from those incarcerated without trial or charge in Guantanamo - who could not be treated in the same way in mainland USA). Are you suggesting that this is another case where normal mores should be put aside? To do so is a slippery slope.....


This is the bit that worries me, as stated earlier.


anotherlimey Mar 12th 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12652151)
Killing women and children.

only if they are actual terrorists


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:05 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.