Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:02 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Yes they did. I have a feeling it is partly a political decision though, they know it will play well to the public, and I think even Javid is looking towards his own ambitions.
Correct.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

She is not the first dual to go this way, and I do not see how her case is different.

I seem to remember most US Citizens do not have a US Passport, I have no idea if she has a current British Passport or it expired ditto her Bangladeshi Passport.

Also seems unclear where she was born.

The Baby may have a claim for Dutch Citizenship by the sound of it and I thought Dutch did not allow dual citizenship?

What a mess.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
She is not the first dual to go this way, and I do not see how her case is different.

I seem to remember most US Citizens do not have a US Passport, I have no idea if she has a current British Passport or it expired ditto her Bangladeshi Passport.

Also seems unclear where she was born.

The Baby may have a claim for Dutch Citizenship by the sound of it and I thought Dutch did not allow dual citizenship?

What a mess.
She actually left the UK on her sister’s passport so she wouldn’t have one to return on even if she wasn’t about to be stripped of her citizenship. As you say there’s also a dispute about whether she was born in the UK or Bangladesh.

Her child would remain British and entitled to a British passport presuming she is actually able to register the birth with the Syrian government which seems unlikely. I suspect the Dutch won’t be taking any interest at all in the child.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good!!!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:48 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
As you say there’s also a dispute about whether she was born in the UK or Bangladesh.
There is a UK birth reg. for a person of the same name born in the Tower Hamlets area 2qtr 1999. Mother's name as Begum .
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
There is a UK birth reg. for a person of the same name born in the Tower Hamlets area 2qtr 1999. Mother's name as Begum .
I count several more around the same time in Tower Hamlets. Too common a name in the Bangladeshi community there to say with any certainty that it is her. Lots of newspaper interviews with her mother that fail to mention her name beyond “Shamima’s mother” so no help in narrowing it down.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I thought her Mother died?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:57 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I count several more around the same time in Tower Hamlets. Too common a name in the Bangladeshi community there to say with any certainty that it is her. Lots of newspaper interviews with her mother that fail to mention her name beyond “Shamima’s mother” so no help in narrowing it down.
True enough. The differing spellings do not help.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds like nobody really knows who she is.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:03 am
Somewhere

Me too.

Different girl, similar name.
Somewhere

Different girl, similar name.
Heck
Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

She actually left the UK on her sister’s passport so she wouldn’t have one to return on even if she wasn’t about to be stripped of her citizenship. As you say there’s also a dispute about whether she was born in the UK or Bangladesh.

Her child would remain British and entitled to a British passport presuming she is actually able to register the birth with the Syrian government which seems unlikely. I suspect the Dutch won’t be taking any interest at all in the child.
The most interesting thing in that statute is this:

"Before making an order under this section in respect of a person the Secretary of State must give the person written notice specifying—"

According to this article the letter:

"... asks her mother to pass on details of the order to her daughter, who is currently in a Syrian refugee camp without access to a phone".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hip-be-stopped

I don't see how this is going to pass legal muster. A British official is going to have to serve her, not her mum. So something else for lawyers to latch onto.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bangladesh preemptively washing their hands of her if she doesn't currently hold a Bangladeshi passport.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 20th 2019 at 2:35 am.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So she has no passport, if she has her Sisters I assume that has been flagged so would not work.

I can imagine a few issues applying for one...
Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
The most interesting thing in that statute is this:

"Before making an order under this section in respect of a person the Secretary of State must give the person written notice specifying—"

According to this article the letter:

"... asks her mother to pass on details of the order to her daughter, who is currently in a Syrian refugee camp without access to a phone".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hip-be-stopped

I don't see how this is going to pass legal muster. A British official is going to have to serve her, not her mum. So something else for lawyers to latch onto.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bangladesh preemptively washing their hands of her if she doesn't currently hold a Bangladeshi passport.
I assume they sent it to her last known address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.