British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/shamima-begum-has-uk-citizenship-revoked-922232/)

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 10:45 pm

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12641389)
You clearly do not understand , we have not made anyone stateless before , , it is against international law...
Conventions the UK is a signatory to..

Please and go and read the Convention because you clearly haven’t.

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12641100)
Not what - illegal or to do with nazis and the holocaust?

Illegal.

EMR Feb 21st 2019 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12641393)
Please and go and read what the Convention because you clearly haven’t.

You are not a lawyer, expert in this so your opinion is worth just as much as you think mine is...
This will be decided by the courts, and in all probability will find in her favour.

Shard Feb 21st 2019 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12641384)
I have no idea, just seems if you are Amish and grow up in an Amish community you might expect most to have Amish values.

Not sure what you are on about, but somehow I like this example. :rofl:

Boiler Feb 21st 2019 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12641398)
You are not a lawyer, expert in this so your opinion is worth just as much as you think mine is...
This will be decided by the courts, and in all probability will find in her favour.

On what basis do you come to such a definitive conclusion?

EMR Feb 21st 2019 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12641401)
On what basis do you come to such a definitive conclusion?

Because removing her citizenship was reportedly based on the belief that she has the right to Bangladeshi citizenship and is therefore not stateless...

Boiler Feb 21st 2019 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12641402)
Because removing her citizenship was reportedly based on the belief that she has the right to Bangladeshi citizenship and is therefore not stateless...

Fahad Ansari, a lawyer who acted for two men in a similar case, has said the UK-born children of Bangladeshi parents are automatically dual citizens at birth, but that right lapses at the age of 21. The government lost that case, but only because the two men were over 21, which would not apply to Begum, who is 19.

BEVS Feb 21st 2019 11:10 pm

It is not BiPs opinion EMR . He is suggesting that you actually read the Conventions as from what you write it does seem you haven't. I was about to suggest the same.

Have a read.
I think you know my online persona on here well enough to know I do not suggest this to point score in some way.

Honestly. Have a good read.

Shard Feb 21st 2019 11:12 pm

It's hard for any of us to know the true situation behind this young woman. Perhaps she's just very naive, went out there to be a "warrior bride" which probably in itself is not a crime. She seems to have been busy with babies, and may well just be 'guilty' of callousness.

Having said that, the HO has deemed her a threat, and they are privy to much more information than any of us. I think making return difficult for her, as Javid has done, is probably the right action. If it turns out she is only British and therefore we have an obligation to repatriate her, so be it.

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 11:14 pm

Am I not? Curious as to how you know that.

Shard Feb 21st 2019 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12641403)

Fahad Ansari, a lawyer who acted for two men in a similar case, has said the UK-born children of Bangladeshi parents are automatically dual citizens at birth, but that right lapses at the age of 21. The government lost that case, but only because the two men were over 21, which would not apply to Begum, who is 19.

There is a practical problem here (as raised on QT this evening). Imagine a terrorist of some foreign country had a right to British citizenship by birth, but had no connection with Britain. In a similar situation if that foreign country were to strip the terrorist of his citizenship, would Britain then really accept the terrorist's claim in British citizenship? Perhaps legally Britain would be obliged to, but would it happen?

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12641410)
There is a practical problem here (as raised on QT this evening). Imagine a terrorist of some foreign country had a right to British citizenship by birth, but had no connection with Britain. In a similar situation if that foreign country were to strip the terrorist of his citizenship, would Britain then really accept the terrorist's claim in British citizenship? Perhaps legally Britain would be obliged to, but would it happen?

I suspect that person would also be stripped of their British citizenship.

Shard Feb 21st 2019 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12641411)
I suspect that person would also be stripped of their British citizenship.

Wouldn't that end up in a race to see who could strip the citizenship first?

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12641412)
Wouldn't that end up in a race to see who could strip the citizenship first?

Not necessarily. A lot of misinformation about what is and isn’t legal is being reported as fact by the media. Every contributor to this thread could do a lot worst than reading Article 8 of the Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness in conjunction with Paragraphs 40, 40A and 40B of the British Nationality Act 1981.

Shard Feb 21st 2019 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12641413)
Not necessarily. A lot of misinformation about what is and isn’t legal is being reported as fact by the media. Every contributor to this thread could do a lot worst than reading Article 8 of the Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness in conjunction with Paragraphs 40, 40A and 40B of the British Nationality Act 1981.

Example of misinformation in the media?