Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Apparently, she has (had) dual British and Bangladeshi citizenship.

I wholeheartedly agree with this decision.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

At least the Tories got something right.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Other than the fact that she was a minor when she left the UK (age 15) which causes me reservations, as long as she is not left stateless it's hard to feel bad about this. I'm not sure that it furthers the cause of reducing recruitment to extremist causes though. Seems to me she has now been made a martyr and much could be made of it in extremist recruitment/grooming circles. I also worry about the child, who is obviously to blame for nothing.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 19th 2019 at 7:53 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Other than the fact that she was a minor when she left the UK (age 15) which causes me reservations, as long as she is not left stateless it's hard to feel bad about this. I'm not sure that it furthers the cause of reducing recruitment to extremist causes though. Seems to me she has now been made a martyr and much could be made of it in extremist recruitment/grooming circles. I also worry about the child, who is obviously to blame for nothing.
She can always fall back on her Bangladeshi nationality.

Seriously, bloody good riddance to her. The UK is finally acting with some balls for a change.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
In a couple of interviews I have seen, she is completely unrepentant. She made a half-hearted apology (when prompted by the interviewer) for incidents such as Manchester Arena but qualified it by saying it was justified retaliation for deaths in Syria. She also said she "wasn't fazed by the sight of severed heads in bins".

I agree with the total innocence of the baby. This is her third child. The previous two both died of disease and malnutrition before they reached 2 years.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
In a couple of interviews I have seen, she is completely unrepentant. She made a half-hearted apology (when prompted by the interviewer) for incidents such as Manchester Arena but qualified it by saying it was justified retaliation for deaths in Syria. She also said she "wasn't fazed by the sight of severed heads in bins".

I agree with the total innocence of the baby. This is her third child. The previous two both died of disease and malnutrition before they reached 2 years.

Yes, it's not that I think that she is in some way "worthy". She isn't, and is very likely to have been party to some appalling things. She doesn't sound very bright at all, and clearly fell for some garbage at the age of 15 and she doesn't sound as though she's grown up much since then. Since she apparently has another citizenship we don't have to take her, and had she returned she clearly could not have been allowed to simply re-enter society as a free woman, but I do have concerns about a government minister deciding who is and is not worthy of British citizenship with no due process at all. We might agree with him in this instance, but what of others? Removal of full citizenship from groups of people has seldom been used for good. And I can absolutely see this being used as propaganda.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

There is of course no good ending and there are hundreds now and thousands to come where this solution may not be an option. Well who knows how many, a lot.

There is an appeals process btw and I am sure the usual suspects will not be happy, begs the question what would you need to do to make them happy.

As far as the child is concerned that is an issue for the Bangladeshi authorities now, like any other Bangladeshi child.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 10:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If she’s so keen to live in an Islamic state then Bangladesh would seem to be a perfect fit. Interestingly her son is still a British citizen so he can return if he wishes.

Last edited by BritInParis; Feb 19th 2019 at 10:51 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 10:51 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post

Apparently, she has (had) dual British and Bangladeshi citizenship.
Yes. She does. Her parents are originally from there. Bangladesh allows for dual citizenship.

Both she and her family will be able to live together in that country.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
There is of course no good ending and there are hundreds now and thousands to come where this solution may not be an option. Well who knows how many, a lot.

There is an appeals process btw and I am sure the usual suspects will not be happy, begs the question what would you need to do to make them happy.

As far as the child is concerned that is an issue for the Bangladeshi authorities now, like any other Bangladeshi child.
The child was born before their mother was stripped of British citizenship. I would presume that means they are a British citizen. I'm not convinced this is going to end well for the UK government once this goes down the legal road.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
The child was born before their mother was stripped of British citizenship. I would presume that means they are a British citizen. I'm not convinced this is going to end well for the UK government once this goes down the legal road.
How so?
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
How so?
From what I've read she currently holds only a UK passport. She may be entitled to a Bangladeshi passport, but they could decline to issue her with one. She was a minor when she committed the alleged offence for which she is being deprived of her citizenship for. And her British citizen son would effectively be deprived of his right to grow up in the UK with his mother. Plenty of bones there for lawyers to grasp hold of.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of points. In the first interview - or at least the first report - she said the UK government had no evidence of her having done anything terrorist related. Not "I haven't done anything" but they have no evidence. It maybe nothing but it just seems odd.

There's another similar case in the US of a woman wanting to go home. She actually admits to recruiting efforts and encouraging bloodshed, mowing innocents down etc.
But she actually sounds repentant.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:53 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
At least the Tories got something right.
Yes they did. I have a feeling it is partly a political decision though, they know it will play well to the public, and I think even Javid is looking towards his own ambitions.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
From what I've read she currently holds only a UK passport. She may be entitled to a Bangladeshi passport, but they could decline to issue her with one. She was a minor when she committed the alleged offence for which she is being deprived of her citizenship for. And her British citizen son would effectively be deprived of his right to grow up in the UK with his mother. Plenty of bones there for lawyers to grasp hold of.
The Bangladeshi government could do but not having a passport doesn’t not make you a citizen of a country. If they decide to strip her of her Bangladeshi citizenship later on leaving her stateless then that would be their decision. Unlike the UK Bangladesh is not party to the Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.

She was still of the age of criminal responsibility when she left the UK and remains utterly unrepentant now she is an adult.

That her son is a British citizen has no more effect on her ability to live in the UK than it would do for any other non-British citizen parent.

The legislation is pretty clear - I would urge you to read it.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/section/40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.