Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence

Scottish Independence

Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:12 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 226
Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice
Default Scottish Independence

Re independence -
Given the SNP won a landslide election in Scotland this year, there is an expectation of change, either towards substantially increased devloution, or full independence. Most Scots want change but many are unsure about independence. That is less to do with economic survival and more to do with being British and being unsure if they want to break up the Union. I'd rather be independent and have an economy as sick as Ireland but control our own destiny, than be controlled by London.

Re Anyone but England -
At the Rugby World Cup - New Zealanders were wearing Anyone but Austalia t-shirts so rivalry is rivaly. I support all English individual sportsmen but never their sports teams. Why - because the English/London media drive us nuts with their arrogance. If England win their first group game at any football World Cup, the media behaves as if the trophy is won. Try being Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish watching BBC sports news headlines on TV - its always about English football, rugby, and cricket. Other nations are almost completely ignored. This is principally why many Scots, not all adopt the ABE attitude.

Re watching Scotland at fitba -
It is tragic we have not qualified for any major tourney since 1998 but for the first time in ages, I fancy our chances for WC 2014. Not just because our qualifying group is easier, but because we are starting to play much better attacking football compared with the last 12 years. Personally I'd rather watch Aussie Rules than Scottish League football and part of my desire to move to Melbourne is because, having lived there as a kid, I think it is one of the best games in the world. It's not a crap game just because it is not actively played across the UK.

Last edited by Sue; Oct 27th 2011 at 12:10 am. Reason: Moved from the Locker Room
Green Grass is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:35 pm
  #2  
-------------------------
 
paranoidandroid's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,382
paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland

Jerseygirl...or whoever is moderating this thread... move the last post into "Take it Outside"... please?
paranoidandroid is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:53 pm
  #3  
Life goes on.
 
Uncle Ebenezer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,661
Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland

Originally Posted by Green Grass View Post
Re Anyone but England -
At the Rugby World Cup - New Zealanders were wearing Anyone but Austalia t-shirts so rivalry is rivaly. I support all English individual sportsmen but never their sports teams. Why - because the English/London media drive us nuts with their arrogance. If England win their first group game at any football World Cup, the media behaves as if the trophy is won. Try being Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish watching BBC sports news headlines on TV - its always about English football, rugby, and cricket. Other nations are almost completely ignored. This is principally why many Scots, not all adopt the ABE attitude.
You call it arrogance, I call it national pride and hope, in the face of almost certain failure. And the reason the other British nations are practically ignored, is because they never achieve anything, other than the occasional rugby union fluke.
Uncle Ebenezer is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:29 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 226
Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice
Default Re: Scotland

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
You call it arrogance, I call it national pride and hope, in the face of almost certain failure. And the reason the other British nations are practically ignored, is because they never achieve anything, other than the occasional rugby union fluke.
I can't agree with that. The media shows overwhelming arrogance in the event of even minor English success. I don't believe it is just hope. Scotland rarely have much hope, but media arrogance is never present. No disrespect, but I expect in Texas you don't watch the BBC1 breakfast news bulletins. If the other home nations were winning matches in any World competition, it would rarely be the main news story if England had just beaten Bangladesh in 20 over cricket match.

As I said in my earlier post, as a Scot, I always offer support to English individual sportsman, so I'm not anti English as some Scots are. It's just I live in a nation where the media is dominated by another country whose own news stories are deemed more important. The media is actually Londoncentric and many regions of England, especially in the north feel similarly ignored for general news items.

Apologies to those who want this moved. I've not problem with that. My post was only commenting on matters raised earlier.
Green Grass is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:10 am
  #5  
Sue
BE Co-Founder
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,924
Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
Jerseygirl...or whoever is moderating this thread... move the last post into "Take it Outside"... please?
Ok, tis done
Sue is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:36 am
  #6  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 13,705
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

About time the rest of the UK had independence from Scotland, them busybodies did nothing but damage to how the UK is viewed around the world with their Scottish led invasions and empire, and since the collapse of the empire we have had every second prime minister seems to be Scottish.

All started with Nova Scotia and Darian.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:12 am
  #7  
Sursum corda
 
cindyabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Richmond Hill, GA USA
Posts: 38,846
cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
About time the rest of the UK had independence from Scotland, them busybodies did nothing but damage to how the UK is viewed around the world with their Scottish led invasions and empire, and since the collapse of the empire we have had every second prime minister seems to be Scottish.

All started with Nova Scotia and Darian.
I think it started in 1320.
cindyabs is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:26 am
  #8  
.
 
Yorkieabroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Where bad things rarely happen in movies
Posts: 8,933
Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Heard there was a "rebuild Hadrians Wall" fund going - where do I send me fiver?
Yorkieabroad is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:52 am
  #9  
MODERATOR
 
Norm_uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 6,265
Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Green Grass View Post
Re independence -
Given the SNP won a landslide election in Scotland this year, there is an expectation of change, either towards substantially increased devloution, or full independence. Most Scots want change but many are unsure about independence. That is less to do with economic survival and more to do with being British and being unsure if they want to break up the Union. I'd rather be independent and have an economy as sick as Ireland but control our own destiny, than be controlled by London.

Re Anyone but England -
At the Rugby World Cup - New Zealanders were wearing Anyone but Austalia t-shirts so rivalry is rivaly. I support all English individual sportsmen but never their sports teams. Why - because the English/London media drive us nuts with their arrogance. If England win their first group game at any football World Cup, the media behaves as if the trophy is won. Try being Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish watching BBC sports news headlines on TV - its always about English football, rugby, and cricket. Other nations are almost completely ignored. This is principally why many Scots, not all adopt the ABE attitude.

Re watching Scotland at fitba -
It is tragic we have not qualified for any major tourney since 1998 but for the first time in ages, I fancy our chances for WC 2014. Not just because our qualifying group is easier, but because we are starting to play much better attacking football compared with the last 12 years. Personally I'd rather watch Aussie Rules than Scottish League football and part of my desire to move to Melbourne is because, having lived there as a kid, I think it is one of the best games in the world. It's not a crap game just because it is not actively played across the UK.
It was a Scottish king on the throne when the Union happened. Britain went onto to very great things on the wake of that Union, despite the bum deal the Irish had (like attempted genocide).

Most English people don't even care about the whole issue and are often puzzled by the hostility against them. England is currently the only nation in the UK that doesn't have it's own assembly or parliament - London's parliament is for Britain, not England.

If sports is a factor in supporting fragmenting the Union I think that's quite silly. As silly as having separate teams is in the first place - many other countries have different ethnic groups/tribes, regions or nations and yet manage to have a national team for all their sporting events...what makes the UK different?

As for being controlled by London - Scotland has a better deal than England in many regards from pensions to education - and Scotland benefits economically from the English taxpayer too. I seriously doubt most Scots would want to have an economy like Ireland right now than be "controlled by London"...Scots MPs sit next English MPs in London too for goodness sake.

Politically I think the UK needs a revision of the Union (I'm all for considering a more equitable Republic to be honest if that's the way voters swing), we certainly need to have more referendums on things people want like being part of the EU etc. Power to the regions is already devolved considerably...is this simply a political issue or a whine about perceived arrogance by English sports teams and the media?

N.
Norm_uk is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:19 am
  #10  
 
gruffbrown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,102
gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Green Grass View Post

Re Anyone but England -
At the Rugby World Cup - New Zealanders were wearing Anyone but Austalia t-shirts so rivalry is rivaly. I support all English individual sportsmen but never their sports teams. Why - because the English/London media drive us nuts with their arrogance. If England win their first group game at any football World Cup, the media behaves as if the trophy is won. Try being Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish watching BBC sports news headlines on TV - its always about English football, rugby, and cricket. Other nations are almost completely ignored. This is principally why many Scots, not all adopt the ABE attitude.

.
Do you not get BBC Scotland in errr Scotland?
gruffbrown is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:36 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 226
Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by gruffbrown View Post
Do you not get BBC Scotland in errr Scotland?
I wasn't talking about local news, I was referring to national news where the sports bulletins focus on what England are doing way above all else.
Green Grass is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:50 am
  #12  
 
gruffbrown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,102
gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Green Grass View Post
I wasn't talking about local news, I was referring to national news where the sports bulletins focus on what England are doing way above all else.
Maybe they're practising for when you get independence and get your own TV station.
gruffbrown is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:51 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 226
Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Norm_uk View Post
It was a Scottish king on the throne when the Union happened. Britain went onto to very great things on the wake of that Union, despite the bum deal the Irish had (like attempted genocide).

Most English people don't even care about the whole issue and are often puzzled by the hostility against them. England is currently the only nation in the UK that doesn't have it's own assembly or parliament - London's parliament is for Britain, not England.

If sports is a factor in supporting fragmenting the Union I think that's quite silly. As silly as having separate teams is in the first place - many other countries have different ethnic groups/tribes, regions or nations and yet manage to have a national team for all their sporting events...what makes the UK different?

As for being controlled by London - Scotland has a better deal than England in many regards from pensions to education - and Scotland benefits economically from the English taxpayer too. I seriously doubt most Scots would want to have an economy like Ireland right now than be "controlled by London"...Scots MPs sit next English MPs in London too for goodness sake.

Politically I think the UK needs a revision of the Union (I'm all for considering a more equitable Republic to be honest if that's the way voters swing), we certainly need to have more referendums on things people want like being part of the EU etc. Power to the regions is already devolved considerably...is this simply a political issue or a whine about perceived arrogance by English sports teams and the media?

N.
The last time there was a vote on independence in Scotland was in 1979. Whatever peoples views, whether the status quo, increased devolution powers or full independence, the people of Scotland should decide what they want. Another vote is long overdue and given the SNP now dominate the Scottish political landscape, whether due to their policies or due to failure of the other parties, now is a good time for Scotland to decide.

The debate about oil revenues leaves it open to question as to which country benefits most from each other and it all depends on which side of the border you live. The UK is I think the 17th wealthiest in the world. If Scotland has it's oil revenues, recent research shows Scotland would be the 7th or 8th wealthiest. Clearly when the North Sea is empty, we're doomed!

The independence discussion and reasons for the 'Anyone but England' support by some Scots are separate discussions, started in previous post in the Locker Room before being moved here.
Green Grass is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:53 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 226
Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by gruffbrown View Post
Maybe their practising for when you get independence and get your own TV station.
We'll they're ****ing good at it, they've been 'practising' seemingly for ever!
Green Grass is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:00 am
  #15  
 
gruffbrown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,102
gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Green Grass View Post
We'll they're ****ing good at it, they've been 'practising' seemingly for ever!
We got good coverage of the Scottish Rugby World Cup team coming back on the plane. As for football, look on the bright side it's saved them a fortune in air fares over the years.
gruffbrown is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.