Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Old Aug 11th 2019, 11:51 am
  #136  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 49,947
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Yes, however she is making a fuss because of her gender change, leading to discussion. For example as on this 'thread'.
I suppose I don't really mind a fuss or discussion - as distinct from obnoxious behaviour - since it is still a struggle for trans people to be accepted simply as people and fuss is often what leads to change. With any luck, the day will come when fuss is no longer necessary.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 12:11 pm
  #137  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,270
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I suppose I don't really mind a fuss or discussion - as distinct from obnoxious behaviour - since it is still a struggle for trans people to be accepted simply as people and fuss is often what leads to change. With any luck, the day will come when fuss is no longer necessary.
Who are "trans people" by your definition?
paulry is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 7:45 pm
  #138  
Used to be Seasider
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,134
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

I saw Eddie Izzard recently in concert here in Seattle. He was obviously wearing a bra and had a very impressive set of boobs - said he got them from Ikea. He seems to identify as a transgender [edited after correction by kimilseung] these days, whereas previously I'd only heard him use the term transvestite. I've read he's happy to be identified as he/him or she/her.

Time and terminology moves on - for most at least. Dressing is not always about making oneself sexually attractive to others, and the sooner we lose the term "cross-dressing" the better.

Last edited by Kooky.; Aug 11th 2019 at 8:00 pm.
Kooky. is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 7:52 pm
  #139  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 13,705
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
I saw Eddie Izzard recently in concert here in Seattle. He was obviously wearing a bra and had a very impressive set of boobs - said he got them from Ikea. He seems to identify as a transsexual these days, whereas previously I'd only heard him use the term transvestite. I've read he's happy to be identified as he/him or she/her.

Time and terminology moves on - for most at least. Dressing is not always about making oneself sexually attractive to others, and the sooner we lose the term "cross-dressing" the better.
previously transvestite, more recently transgender, I am unaware of him claiming to be transexual.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 7:55 pm
  #140  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 49,947
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Who are "trans people" by your definition?
I don't have a unique definition all my own. I find it more helpful to use the generally accepted one - helps communication you see. For your benefit, a transgender person is one whose sexual identity is different from the one they were assigned at birth based on an examination of their secondary sexual characteristics at birth. Note this is not the same as a person's sexuality - transgender people, naturally, exhibit all the same types and shades of sexuality as everyone else.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 7:59 pm
  #141  
Used to be Seasider
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,134
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
previously transvestite, more recently transgender, I am unaware of him claiming to be transexual.
Oops sorry you are right - very unfortunate typo on my part, will see if I can edit.
Kooky. is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:02 pm
  #142  
Used to be Seasider
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,134
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
No, I don't think transvestite became transgender did it? I would have said that transvestite is simply enjoying dressing in clothes that are conventionally of the other sex. I think I transsexual is when somebody actually undergoes physical changes.
That was down to my commenting that I think Eddie's own terminology has changed recently. I could be wrong, but it stood out to me.
Kooky. is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:04 pm
  #143  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 49,947
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
That was down to my commenting that I think Eddie's own terminology has changed recently. I could be wrong, but it stood out to me.
Yes I read Kim wrong. Deleted my post while you were typing this one.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:32 pm
  #144  
Forum Regular
 
The Rushman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Location: Just outside of decency
Posts: 167
The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
I do however take issue with the writer of the article demeaning a trans woman by insisting on referring to her as him or he. If she identifies as a woman, she is a woman, and not a "woman", and she should not be deadnamed either.
What a load of bollocks. Figuratively and physically.


The Rushman is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:41 pm
  #145  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,270
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I don't have a unique definition all my own. I find it more helpful to use the generally accepted one - helps communication you see. For your benefit, a transgender person is one whose sexual identity is different from the one they were assigned at birth based on an examination of their secondary sexual characteristics at birth. Note this is not the same as a person's sexuality - transgender people, naturally, exhibit all the same types and shades of sexuality as everyone else.
Thanks for clarifying your understanding of it, but please note that that the term has for some time been an evolving one, hence the mild confusion about it on this thread as well as by some of those selecting the label to describe themselves. I think only relatively recently has a generally accepted definition been settled upon.

So what happened with the transvestites and the so-called lady-boys. What are they now?
paulry is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:48 pm
  #146  
Forum Regular
 
The Rushman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Location: Just outside of decency
Posts: 167
The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Let me get this straight.
This weirdo can pluck his eyebrows straighter than a laser beam, can colour code his eyebrow area with 4 different shades and apply lipstick without resembling tge Joker ......... but he cant swing a Bic around his own knackers?

Im not surprised he wants to hand his man card in but what about when he finally gets his broach and earrings hacked off? He wants to be a woman .... but they can shave their own growler.

This is just some mentally difficient attention whore stirring up shit or hes just lazy.

But i still find it amusing that in the 21st century people pay other people to shave their uglies for them. How lazy have you got to be that you cant do it yourself in the shower?
The Rushman is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 9:02 pm
  #147  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,270
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by The Rushman View Post
Let me get this straight.
This weirdo can pluck his eyebrows straighter than a laser beam, can colour code his eyebrow area with 4 different shades and apply lipstick without resembling tge Joker ......... but he cant swing a Bic around his own knackers?

Im not surprised he wants to hand his man card in but what about when he finally gets his broach and earrings hacked off? He wants to be a woman .... but they can shave their own growler.

This is just some mentally difficient attention whore stirring up shit or hes just lazy.

But i still find it amusing that in the 21st century people pay other people to shave their uglies for them. How lazy have you got to be that you cant do it yourself in the shower?
...And why would you want shave your knackers in the first place? Surely good foresting around them is like luxury tissue paper delicately protecting prized china?
paulry is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2019, 10:26 pm
  #148  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 49,947
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Thanks for clarifying your understanding of it, but please note that that the term has for some time been an evolving one, hence the mild confusion about it on this thread as well as by some of those selecting the label to describe themselves. I think only relatively recently has a generally accepted definition been settled upon.

So what happened with the transvestites and the so-called lady-boys. What are they now?
Transvestites are people who get pleasure from wearing what is conventionally considered to be the clothing of the opposite sex in any given culture, as the word suggests.

I believe the ladyboys are a very popular show in Edinburgh right now.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 8:56 pm
  #149  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,398
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Here is the update

https://www.jccf.ca/aestheticians-ju...ghts-tribunal/

Human Right Tribunal found in favor of the home estheticians and Yaniv has also been ordered to pay $2,000 to each of the women involved.

]https://www.jccf.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/222_Yaniv_v_Various_Waxing_Salons_No_2_2019_BCHRT_ 222.pdf?mc_cid=db660e2e1f&mc_eid=[UNIQID]
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 9:32 pm
  #150  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 31,424
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ricky Gervais Called ‘Transphobe’

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Here is the update

https://www.jccf.ca/aestheticians-ju...ghts-tribunal/

Human Right Tribunal found in favor of the home estheticians and Yaniv has also been ordered to pay $2,000 to each of the women involved.

]https://www.jccf.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/222_Yaniv_v_Various_Waxing_Salons_No_2_2019_BCHRT_ 222.pdf?mc_cid=db660e2e1f&mc_eid=[UNIQID]
Thanks, interesting.
Boiler is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.