Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

PSA: Churchill, W

PSA: Churchill, W

Old Mar 23rd 2021, 2:55 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PSA: Churchill, W

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
You would have to ask him, I cant speak for his intentions.
For me it gets movement of time and place, change of light, change of perspective. Plus that we dont see the details, we see the structure, but only see, the gargoyles, or whatever it is on the walls, if we look, go out of our way. We can remember the structure of a cathedral years alter seeing it, but don't remember the details. If I think of Koln cathedral, Its structure if welded to the back of my eyes, but I have no idea of the details, we dont really see details.. Its why directors have to zoom in on details or draw our eyes to them in other ways. We are actually pretty crap at seeing things, other than what we are concentrating on.
Well yes, but there are various ways to achieve that, and wanton smudging of a geometric sketch strikes me as ill judged.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to ask him, I cant speak for his intentions.
For me it gets movement of time and place, change of light, change of perspective. Plus that we dont see the details, we see the structure, but only see, the gargoyles, or whatever it is on the walls, if we look, go out of our way. We can remember the structure of a cathedral years alter seeing it, but don't remember the details. If I think of Koln cathedral, Its structure if welded to the back of my eyes, but I have no idea of the details, we dont really see details.. Its why directors have to zoom in on details or draw our eyes to them in other ways. We are actually pretty crap at seeing things, other than what we are concentrating on.
Off topic----but just seen your posts. I am a great admirer of the work of Grayson Perry-- (If I had money would buy a tapestry or 'vase' of his.)
He runs an ''Art Club' programme on TV and and exhibition of the work received is being exhibited at Manchester Art Gallery. (I received a gift book, related to the programme, on mothers day) . It shows some of the amazing the amount of work produced during Lock Down and including some by well known TV performers.

Old Mar 23rd 2021, 3:53 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Well yes, but there are various ways to achieve that, and wanton smudging of a geometric sketch strikes me as ill judged.
What non-ill judged ways should he have selected in your opinion?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 7:09 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What non-ill judged ways should he have selected in your opinion?
Dispense with the smudging. If he wanted to invoke rain or mist, perhaps some light strokes or soft dots, although that may necessitate drawing the Cathedral lines in lighter chalk. IMO.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 7:14 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Off topic----but just seen your posts. I am a great admirer of the work of Grayson Perry-- (If I had money would buy a tapestry or 'vase' of his.)
He runs an ''Art Club' programme on TV and and exhibition of the work received is being exhibited at Manchester Art Gallery. (I received a gift book, related to the programme, on mothers day) . It shows some of the amazing the amount of work produced during Lock Down and including some by well known TV performers.
Have seen him on TV and find him remarkably annoying. He did a millenial tapestry or something didn't he? Which of his works do you like?

PS. Not completely off topic as old Winston was a bit of a watercolourist. I saw some of his works at Chartwill and they weren't bad. They certainly didn't suffer from the what the hell let's smudge it up technique.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 7:28 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Dispense with the smudging. If he wanted to invoke rain or mist, perhaps some light strokes or soft dots, although that may necessitate drawing the Cathedral lines in lighter chalk. IMO.
Which of the "various ways" of non-"ill judged" methods should he have selected in your opinion to achieve movement of time and place, change of light, change of perspective?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 7:39 pm
F.orum Ape

Which of the "various ways" of non-"ill judged" methods should he have selected in your opinion to achieve movement of time and place, change of light, change of perspective?
You're suggesting that he achived that with your bolded bit, and I don't think he has. Far from it. Perhaps he could have warped the lines as if it were seen through a glass with paralax, that would have had a more understandable effect. He could have drawn a completely different part of the Cathedral in that place. Or if he wanted to go full Magritte, an apple. As someone who likes these drawings (for quite some time) have you not come accross any criticism of the smudge technique ?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 7:48 pm
Fair and balanced

You're suggesting that he achived that with your bolded bit, and I don't think he has. Far from it. Perhaps he could have warped the lines as if it were seen through a glass with paralax, that would have had a more understandable effect. He could have drawn a completely different part of the Cathedral in that place. Or if he wanted to go full Magritte, an apple. As someone who likes these drawings (for quite some time) have you not come accross any criticism of the smudge technique ?
It was your bold type, btw.
Saying what people haven't done or achieved is not that common. Meaning for an image is created by the observer, so it is more common to talk about what was achieved. You are, as you are disagreeing with my perspective. Most critics or observers are talking about their own observations, rather than discussing other peoples observations, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 23rd 2021 at 7:59 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 12:49 pm
F.orum Ape

It was your bold type, btw.
Saying what people haven't done or achieved is not that common. Meaning for an image is created by the observer, so it is more common to talk about what was achieved. You are, as you are disagreeing with my perspective. Most critics or observers are talking about their own observations, rather than discussing other peoples observations, if you know what I mean.
Ok, we'll leave it at that, in a cloud of Creffield inspired ambiguity.