Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

PSA: Churchill, W

PSA: Churchill, W

Old Mar 20th 2021, 2:44 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PSA: Churchill, W

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I can vouch for that. I've seen you.

Hard going in the snow though.
If you are referring to the time that we tromped through the wilds of Chicago, I was wearing this outfit . . . because I'm a lady.

Old Mar 20th 2021, 10:50 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Great influence on British art, from Vorticism (British cubism ish), to the London school.(people like Frank Auerbach)
From this

to this
Are these good?

To be fair I did recognise Ronda from the second one.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 1:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
If you are referring to the time that we tromped through the wilds of Chicago, I was wearing this outfit . . . because I'm a lady.
Later that day .....

Old Mar 20th 2021, 1:40 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Are these good?

Quite proficient, I'd say - you can't even see the numbers showing through.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 8:46 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Are these good?

Ditto, ditto.

I presumed Kim's recommendation was on the "influence" rather than these particular works.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Back to W Churchill. Remember he was defeated at the ballot box in Dundee by Edwin Scrymgeor and E D Morel

Edwin Scrymgeour - Wikipedia

I have heard that after that, he never again visited Dundee !
Old Mar 20th 2021, 10:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Back to W Churchill. Remember he was defeated at the ballot box in Dundee by Edwin Scrymgeor and E D Morel

Edwin Scrymgeour - Wikipedia

I have heard that after that, he never again visited Dundee !
This is fascinating. Apparently Scrymgeor was succeeded as MP by Dingle Foot. He used to be a household name - I doubt if I’ve heard him mentioned or thought about him for 40 years.

I had no idea Churchill represented Dundee. What a carpetbagger..
Old Mar 20th 2021, 11:24 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Ditto, ditto.
I presumed Kim's recommendation was on the "influence" rather than these particular works.
That top painting, The Mud Bath, is the most amazing image I have ever seen, I cant see it without sensing a visual thrill. I will not forget the first time I saw it, I remember where and when It was, A perfect representation of potential energy of movement. The art of the time was just beginning to work on a narrow shallow depth, that came from cubism. While France went with slow movement and time that, that shallow image depth could achieve; and the Italians went with the kinetic frantic, obvious energy of Futurism; The British, with typical understatement, went for potential energy with Vorticism. Images with little evident movement, but bursting with hinted at energy and the movement of the fractions of seconds that is not depicted.
Visual art isnt for everyone. You go with what resonated with you. Poetry leaves me cold.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 11:44 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

That top painting, The Mud Bath, is the most amazing image I have ever seen, I cant see it without sensing a visual thrill. I will not forget the first time I saw it, I remember where and when It was, A perfect representation of potential energy of movement. The art of the time was just beginning to work on a narrow shallow depth, that came from cubism. While France went with slow movement and time that, that shallow image depth could achieve; and the Italians went with the kinetic frantic, obvious energy of Futurism; The British, with typical understatement, went for potential energy with Vorticism. Images with little evident movement, but bursting with hinted at energy and the movement of the fractions of seconds that is not depicted.
Visual art isnt for everyone. You go with what resonated with you. Poetry leaves me cold.
Where and when did you see The Mud Bath? It could be that this type of visual is so common in graphic art now, that seeing it for the first time does not resonate quite so much. Also, viewing on 5" cellphone screen probably lessens the impact.
​​​​​
Old Mar 21st 2021, 9:13 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Where and when did you see The Mud Bath? It could be that this type of visual is so common in graphic art now, that seeing it for the first time does not resonate quite so much. Also, viewing on 5" cellphone screen probably lessens the impact.
​​​​​
First time from a college slide projector in 1982, then soon after in the Tate. Its usually on view in the Tate.
Richard Cork wrote his biography in 1987, and that was followed the next year when he curated a major show of Bomberg's work at the Tate in 1988.
I'd just starting working after many a year as a student, so didnt have spare money, but I tried to encourage everyone I knew to buy Bomberg when the exhibition was announced, as it was predictable that it would catapult his work on to a new layer of fame and respect, of course nobody did (but I didnt know anyone who was comfortable in that World) and the respect, and thus marketability of bomberg of course sky rocketed, as it also coincided with the rise of artists influenced by Bomberg, such as Auerbach and Leon Kossoff.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 9:49 pm
F.orum Ape

First time from a college slide projector in 1982, then soon after in the Tate. Its usually on view in the Tate.
Richard Cork wrote his biography in 1987, and that was followed the next year when he curated a major show of Bomberg's work at the Tate in 1988.
I'd just starting working after many a year as a student, so didnt have spare money, but I tried to encourage everyone I knew to buy Bomberg when the exhibition was announced, as it was predictable that it would catapult his work on to a new layer of fame and respect, of course nobody did (but I didnt know anyone who was comfortable in that World) and the respect, and thus marketability of bomberg of course sky rocketed, as it also coincided with the rise of artists influenced by Bomberg, such as Auerbach and Leon Kossoff.
Interesting. If it's in the Tate perhaps I've seen it. When you say buy Bomberg, do you mean buy an orginal? How much were they going for back then. Did you study art history? Any interest in Howard Hodgkin, I've been impressed with what I have seen of his paintings.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 10:35 pm
Fair and balanced

Interesting. If it's in the Tate perhaps I've seen it. When you say buy Bomberg, do you mean buy an orginal? How much were they going for back then. Did you study art history? Any interest in Howard Hodgkin, I've been impressed with what I have seen of his paintings.
I do mean originals. I dont remember the prices of the Bombergs at all now. You wouldnt have been able to buy the Mud Bath for instance, but a study would have been affordable by many. I studied Fine Art.
At that time, I did think about buying a Dennis Creffield (same style school, taught by Bomberg) drawing, similar to the one below, it was one thousand of your English pounds, but I didnt have anywhere to put it, that would be safe and secure for storing art. Bomberg would have been more than Creffield, but as I say, I dont remember, probably because they were more, and out of my price range. I think its rather nice, that quality art is affordable like this, its not peanuts, but for the cost of a computer, for work by a renowned artist.
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks...thedral-t05754

Just had a quick look at Creffield, valuations, he wouldn't have been a good investment. Even after his death, small drawings are estimated at five hundred pounds. but a bargain, in my opinion.
https://www.invaluable.com/artist/cr...uction-prices/

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 21st 2021 at 10:47 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 10:46 pm
F.orum Ape

I do mean originals. I dont remember the prices of the Bombergs at all now. You wouldnt have been able to buy the Mud Bath for instance, but a study would have been affordable by many. I studied Fine Art.
At that time, I did think about buying a Dennis Creffield (same style school, taught by Bomberg) drawing, similar to the one below, it was one thousand of your English pounds, but I didnt have anywhere to put it, that would be safe and secure for storing art. Bomberg would have been more than Creffield, but as I say, I dont remember, probably because they were more, and out of my price range.
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks...thedral-t05754
That makes sense. £1000 was a fair bit, back in the day. On those Creffield cathedrals, what is the purpose of the smudged lines (particularly the Canterbury one). Rain, fog, mysticism or did he simply overdo it on the Shiraz the night before?
Old Mar 21st 2021, 10:52 pm
F.orum Ape

I quite like the Cranes and Gulls. Colour and vibrancy. Perhaps some of the works sell for above estimate.

Do you use Instagram. There are some excellent works by contemporary working artists on there.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 10:54 pm
Fair and balanced

That makes sense. £1000 was a fair bit, back in the day. On those Creffield cathedrals, what is the purpose of the smudged lines (particularly the Canterbury one). Rain, fog, mysticism or did he simply overdo it on the Shiraz the night before?
You would have to ask him, I cant speak for his intentions.
For me it gets movement of time and place, change of light, change of perspective. Plus that we dont see the details, we see the structure, but only see, the gargoyles, or whatever it is on the walls, if we look, go out of our way. We can remember the structure of a cathedral years alter seeing it, but don't remember the details. If I think of Koln cathedral, Its structure if welded to the back of my eyes, but I have no idea of the details, we dont really see details.. Its why directors have to zoom in on details or draw our eyes to them in other ways. We are actually pretty crap at seeing things, other than what we are concentrating on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.