Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn

Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn

Old Dec 10th 2019, 4:42 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
There'd be no workers rights without the unions, we most certainly wouldn't be getting holiday and overtime. Do you think any boss would grant these benifits out of the goodness of their hearts ?
Old Dec 10th 2019, 4:44 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
There'd be no workers rights without the unions, we most certainly wouldn't be getting holiday and overtime. Do you think any boss would grant these benifits out of the goodness of their hearts ?
I don't think that's true. yes, I think 'workers rights' are now deeply ingrained into society. Slipping the American way of giving people 3 days holiday a year just wouldn't cut it. At least under the EU anyway....oh.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Oh comon, one does NOT need a medical at 70 ... you must renew your driving licence, NO medical involved !!!
One can even do it online. Good night !

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
Good morning. I'm afraid you are being disingenuous now! Read the UK GOV website regarding licences and over 70s and all will be revealed. Incidentally I have changed to a French licence to avoid the problem. Once you have read it you will be wiser!!!!
Old Dec 10th 2019, 5:47 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's true. yes, I think 'workers rights' are now deeply ingrained into society. .
So . do you think there should be workers rights ? Or perhaps no.

By that I mean conditions, pay, standards , health and safety, hours, provision to do the work. Those are not 'rights' as such and I know that term is utterly misused these days sadly. It is about at what level and standard people , real people, should be expected to work and at what pay. If that is not regulated then the greedy simply get more greedy and the desperate become more desperate despite all.

Is a 40 hour a week OK?
Should those people have to pay for their work clothing and safety gear?
What is a minimum wage for a toil ?
Should people have paid holiday time? ( Note: that is all a part of a given wage but it is written in that people can take time away from work) not be made to work 53 weeks of a year.
Should they be allowed sick pay? Maternity pay? ( same)
Should they be allowed nothing at all? Just called in for work as and when and then dismissed.

What is the measure and standard ?

Should some people have less than others when it comes to work.

Say, no time off for some and 4 weeks for others? No sick time for those in certain levels of wage but those that can afford it can do it?

It is complicated and like all things, needs a good thought about how it is for those in a society - which also makes the wheels turn - that may simply be struggling as in not having enough to eat or a very rotten hand to mouth lifestyle

Should a nation look to those or let them rot I suppose is what I am asking.

Old Dec 10th 2019, 5:53 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's true. yes, I think 'workers rights' are now deeply ingrained into society. Slipping the American way of giving people 3 days holiday a year just wouldn't cut it. At least under the EU anyway....oh.
With no unions, what would stop the 3 days being slipped in? Certainly not good will
Old Dec 10th 2019, 6:21 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
So . do you think there should be workers rights ? Or perhaps no.

By that I mean conditions, pay, standards , health and safety, hours, provision to do the work. Those are not 'rights' as such and I know that term is utterly misused these days sadly. It is about at what level and standard people , real people, should be expected to work and at what pay. If that is not regulated then the greedy simply get more greedy and the desperate become more desperate despite all.

Is a 40 hour a week OK?
Should those people have to pay for their work clothing and safety gear?
What is a minimum wage for a toil ?
Should people have paid holiday time? ( Note: that is all a part of a given wage but it is written in that people can take time away from work) not be made to work 53 weeks of a year.
Should they be allowed sick pay? Maternity pay? ( same)
Should they be allowed nothing at all? Just called in for work as and when and then dismissed.

What is the measure and standard ?

Should some people have less than others when it comes to work.

Say, no time off for some and 4 weeks for others? No sick time for those in certain levels of wage but those that can afford it can do it?

It is complicated and like all things, needs a good thought about how it is for those in a society - which also makes the wheels turn - that may simply be struggling as in not having enough to eat or a very rotten hand to mouth lifestyle

Should a nation look to those or let them rot I suppose is what I am asking.
Not quite sure what kind of monster you think I am.
I don't like Unions, what they represent, the hypocrisy of them and the nastiness the incite. That's it.

Absolutely I think there should be. It affects everyone, we're all workers.
I'm contracted to a 45 hour week (50 if you include lunch that I never take), so yes, nothing wrong with 40.
Nobody should pay for any safety gear required. I pay for my own suits and shirts, so reasonable expense on work attire is expected.
What's a toil? It might be different to you or I. But I think minimum wage is vitally important.
Absolutely important for paid holiday, and a good amount too. Not like the USA.
Yes, sick, maternity (and not to discriminate but paternity too, or 'parental' pay perhaps, Dads are parents too).
I think zero hour contracts should be a thing of the past, but not sure what people on these contracts think. Casual work seems to be the way lots of markets are going - Uber, Deliveroo etc. Clocking in and out when suits.

Nobody willing to work should be left to rot by not being able to do so safely, with appropriate breaks, with appropriate leave entitlement, sick cover and protection against abuse.

No. Before you ask, Unions are not needed for those things anymore, in my opinion.

With no unions, what would stop the 3 days being slipped in? Certainly not good will
UK employment law.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 6:54 am
idealist

UK employment law.
And who makes that law? It's not like workers rights are written in stone in the constitution.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 6:58 am
WWLLCJD?

And who makes that law? It's not like workers rights are written in stone in the constitution.
We're in an age where rights for people in employment have never been better. The updates in the last decade have propelled the UK forwards in that respect. Literally none of it is down to unions, the disappearance would save individuals money and hurt Labour's campaign budgets. That's about it.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I think you might need some lessons in how to identify sarcasm. You've not been here long enough to recognise everyone's style of posting so you could be forgiven for not recognising a sarcastic tone in "England's problems are exceptional" but you really should have seen that the addition of "even if they're much the same as anywhere else" is a whacking big clue that they are not exceptional what with them being much the same as anywhere else.

The sarcastic point is really hit home with the final reference to problems apparently caused by the EU.
Oh I see, given time I will see how someone can be sarcastic. Thank you for the good advice.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
I'd be waiting forever so I've given up - guy obviously knows jack sh!t.
You need the support of your doctor to obtain a licence if aged over 70. How do you think you can get that support? He needs to see you of course, it's called an examination!
Old Dec 10th 2019, 7:25 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
You need the support of your doctor to obtain a licence if aged over 70. How do you think you can get that support? He needs to see you of course, it's called an examination!
No you don't.

You've been comprehensively schooled on this by multiple posters.

It's time for you to put up or shut up.

Quote the relevant text or admit you are wrong.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 7:25 am
idealist

We're in an age where rights for people in employment have never been better. The updates in the last decade have propelled the UK forwards in that respect. Literally none of it is down to unions, the disappearance would save individuals money and hurt Labour's campaign budgets. That's about it.
You're living in a cloud if you think none of that is down to unions. Unions showed the ruling classes that the working classes were capable of rising up and bringing the country to a stop if they were abused past their breaking point. Any improvements in the last couple of decades have been to stop people being driven back into the union's open arms. Make no mistake, it's ALL down to the union's, directly or indirectly.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 7:54 am
WWLLCJD?

You're living in a cloud if you think none of that is down to unions. Unions showed the ruling classes that the working classes were capable of rising up and bringing the country to a stop if they were abused past their breaking point. Any improvements in the last couple of decades have been to stop people being driven back into the union's open arms. Make no mistake, it's ALL down to the union's, directly or indirectly.
So if we're happy with where we are, do we still need unions?
Old Dec 10th 2019, 8:00 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Also owned.

And skewered.

Old Dec 10th 2019, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

No you don't.

It's time for you to put up or shut up.

Quote the relevant text or admit you are wrong.
It's there to read on UK GOV. Strange how difficult it is for you to find.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.