Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
First, I was unaware he was in government at that time.
I never claimed he was so there's another strawman.

Second, is here any disagreement that he hasn't used the tax code to his maximum advantage ?

Third, almost any reduction in taxes or elimination of features such as minimum tax will benefit him. So what is a President to do-if abolishing the alternative minimum tax, or reducing the corporate income tax is something good, then a President shouldnt do so because he would benefit ?
Same old strawmen. I am merely all for transparency in government and that is why the person who will sign any law changing taxes should disclose his own returns. Your bluster on this is becoming increasingly "peculiar". Please explain why Trump shouldn't be transparent and release his tax returns.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I don't know anything about US tax returns and what they show or don't show other than what I have read on here. However when he was first 'encouraged' to release them he said he couldn't as they were being audited. The IRS confirmed he was incorrect and that even if he were being audited he could still release them. He still refused. He has repeatedly been asked to release them and has ignored the requests. Now he's saying the election is over, everyone should get over it. It sounds to a complete outsider that he's trying to hide something. If there's nothing to see why not release them? What's the big deal about showing them?
I think there are two reasons he doesn't release. That his opponents will find something they can use to create bad publicity about- especially since so many in the public are pretty financially ignorant. The other is his ego- he always bragging about how much he has made, so by using strategies to reduce his tax impact, his personal tax returns in particular- he will then stay up worrying at night whether the average American considers him as wealthy as he would like them to think.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are two reasons he doesn't release. That his opponents will find something they can use to create bad publicity about- especially since so many in the public are pretty financially ignorant. The other is his ego- he always bragging about how much he has made, so by using strategies to reduce his tax impact, his personal tax returns in particular- he will then stay up worrying at night whether the average American considers him as wealthy as he would like them to think.
Neither is a good reason why he shouldn't be transparent about his tax returns, especially for someone who claims to be "draining the swamp". And until he can be transparent, I don't think the Democrats should allow tax reform legislation to be passed.

Do you think Trump should release his tax returns?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 19th 2017 at 1:12 am.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Actually he paid zero tax in 1995. It was his more recent 2005 tax return that shows he paid $35m in AMT (and now wants to abolish it).

It is indeed odd that morpeth is against transparency in government.

Most probably.
You are correct. 2005. All the more significant
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I never claimed he was so there's another strawman.

Same old strawmen. I am merely all for transparency in government and that is why the person who will sign any law changing taxes should disclose his own returns. Your bluster on this is becoming increasingly "peculiar". Please explain why Trump shouldn't be transparent and release his tax returns.
My first objection to all the attention paid to the issue is that many of the reasons I have seen posted are just illogical and show a complete ignorance of what a tax return shows, and of how the wealthy structure their affairs often so their income doesn't show up on their personal returns under the current tax laws.

Anyone proposing for example to reduce taxes will benefit, so what will looking at the tax returns do for any practical purpose ?

As far as being transparent about his personal life before becoming President I think that is different than when being President. Any government official is not completely transparent about even their government actions, let alone their personal lives.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My first objection to all the attention paid to the issue is that many of the reasons I have seen posted are just illogical and show a complete ignorance of what a tax return shows, and of how the wealthy structure their affairs often so their income doesn't show up on their personal returns under the current tax laws.

Anyone proposing for example to reduce taxes will benefit, so what will looking at the tax returns do for any practical purpose ?

As far as being transparent about his personal life before becoming President I think that is different than when being President. Any government official is not completely transparent about even their government actions, let alone their personal lives.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:36 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty obvious to anyone he is hiding something he doesn't want known .
Although he could be a mass murderer and the useful idiots that support him still follow him over a cliff.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

This is interesting

Restaurant Workers Join Suit, Say Trump Eats Foreign Cake, Steals Our Crumbs - The Daily Beast

I do hope a certain poster reads this fully & then digest the reasons for this action being taken ,before they post one off there inane replies
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do not see any productive purpose in releasing his tax returns. (a) people appear to have complete ignorance what his personal tax return would show (b) my impression requests just a desire to generate more negative publicity for him (c) and just to gain political points to object to whatever he proposes (d) I think the energy spent on this whole tax return issue would be better spent putting pressure on Congress and the President on health care issues.(e) or put more energy in the extreme conflict of interest of his children running his business and having access to internal government meetings etc.I do not know how he is getting away with that.

If people think looking at his tax return would give them some psychological satisfaction seeing what we already know from his own words that he pushes the envelope to use the existing the tax system, maybe it would make some people feel good him releasing his tax returns.

I admit I do not understand the idea that because he would benefit from a tax provision he proposes, that necessarily negates whether such a provision should be adopted or not.

Last edited by morpeth; Apr 19th 2017 at 12:57 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
This is interesting

Restaurant Workers Join Suit, Say Trump Eats Foreign Cake, Steals Our Crumbs - The Daily Beast

I do hope a certain poster reads this fully & then digest the reasons for this action being taken ,before they post one off there inane replies
Well I don't enough about that particular clause of the constitution to know the merits of the particular suit, if it has merit then I hope they go after him on that. The continued use of his hotels for government meetings alone I would think violates federal ethics guidelines for employees giving government business to companies they have an interest in.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do not see any productive purpose in releasing his tax returns. (a) people appear to have complete ignorance what his personal tax return would show (b) my impression requests just a desire to generate more negative publicity for him (c) and just to gain political points to object to whatever he proposes (d) I think the energy spent on this whole tax return issue would be better spent putting pressure on Congress and the President on health care issues.(e) or put more energy in the extreme conflict of interest of his children running his business and having access to internal government meetings etc.I do not know how he is getting away with that.
Why do you you think it's a convention that presidents and presidential candidates release their tax returns and why do you think these arguments should apply differently to Trump than any other candidate or president since Nixon? I mean, it's not as though Clinton's opponents didn't do precisely (a), (b) and (c) above. And why is (e) mutually exclusive of releasing his tax returns?

If people think looking at his tax return would give them some psychological satisfaction seeing what we already know from his own words that he pushes the envelope to use the existing the tax system, maybe it would make some people feel good him releasing his tax returns.
Again, this is a strawman. The convention to release tax returns is for the sake of transparency.

I admit I do not understand the idea that because he would benefit from a tax provision he proposes, that necessarily negates whether such a provision should be adopted or not.
Again, this is a strawman. The convention to release tax returns is for the sake of transparency.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 19th 2017 at 5:30 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Trump is out to screw the US taxpayer. I don't think it will make much difference if he releases his tax returns or not. The fact that he is personally benefitting from spending weekends in Florida,he has major conflict of interest issues and he has a built in 555 timer with regards to policy issues.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why do you you think it's a convention that presidents and presidential candidates release their tax returns and why do you think these arguments should apply differently to Trump than any other candidate or president since Nixon? I mean, it's not as though Clinton's opponents didn't do precisely (a), (b) and (c) above. And why is (e) mutually exclusive of releasing his tax returns?

1. We were discussing Trump, as far as Clinton or Nixon whomever I would have the same comments. As (e) the difference is that I believe some of the actions involving his family and/or violate federal ethics rules.

2. If I understand your post you have the opinion that the convention is productive, since I don't start with that assumption or assume necessarily it is a beneficial convention. Certainly many otherwise qualified candidates may not want the public dredging through their private financial matters.

3. Again, what would his tax returns show, and what bearing could that have on tax policies he may propose ? They would be either good policies or not. And how many in the general public would know enough to judge when I read posts of even those in the media claiming his tax returns will show his financial entanglements with this or that country, or that a wealthy person would not take the normal course of using corporate and LLC structures to minimize the tax bite.

Last I almost think this is the sort of media management he does, letting his opponents get tied up complaining about all sorts of things to move attention away form more serious matters.

Maybe because it is convention it would help his opponents feel better to look at his tax returns, I am just guessing but I would assume most of his supporters already have the opinion he stretched every loophole he could since he has had the audacity to even brag about it.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
Trump is out to screw the US taxpayer. I don't think it will make much difference if he releases his tax returns or not. The fact that he is personally benefitting from spending weekends in Florida,he has major conflict of interest issues and he has a built in 555 timer with regards to policy issues.
I cant believe there isn't some federal ethics regulation or guideline that stops a federal employees giving preference to using a business for government functions or other expenses using one's own business. If he has a waiver on this who granted the waiver ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.