Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump.

President Trump.

Old Aug 1st 2021, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
With those reports last year of Branson on is own private island, not paying any tax for 15 years, wanting bailouts from the Australian and UK governments and the reports over a lengthy period of Amazon's tax avoidance and working practices, forgive me but my vindictiveness is vindicated.
100% with you on that topic.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 11:01 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Just when I thought I had heard everything.
Might as well rename FBI headquarters the Dillinger Building.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Might as well rename FBI headquarters the Dillinger Building.
It is certainly going to be hilarious if and when Trump or his crime family get indicted.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 3:46 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

With those reports last year of Branson on is own private island, not paying any tax for 15 years, wanting bailouts from the Australian and UK governments and the reports over a lengthy period of Amazon's tax avoidance and working practices, forgive me but my vindictiveness is vindicated.
Branson isn't part of any serious space exploration, he's merely an entertainer. His company has no future in the serious business of lifting mass into orbit.

Old Aug 1st 2021, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I do feel you over-edit quoted text - In that same paragraph I said "Now, if you want to debate the 'system' that allows anyone like Bezos/Branson/Musk/Gates/etc to accumulate such obscene amounts of money in the first place, I'm all ears. " - which directly addresses the issue you raise! I think these actions are thoroughly despicable and mucho vindictiveness is appropriate. So let's all agree that the system is screwed up and express our dislike of these people; just don't do in the context of the possibly one-thing they are doing right!
Old Aug 1st 2021, 7:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Sometimes I do feel you over-edit quoted text - In that same paragraph I said "Now, if you want to debate the 'system' that allows anyone like Bezos/Branson/Musk/Gates/etc to accumulate such obscene amounts of money in the first place, I'm all ears. " - which directly addresses the issue you raise! I think these actions are thoroughly despicable and mucho vindictiveness is appropriate. So let's all agree that the system is screwed up and express our dislike of these people; just don't do in the context of the possibly one-thing they are doing right!
I did actually consider including that paragraph and then addressing it directly with something about finding it hard to look at one without the other. I even typed it but then deleted it.

I decided to stick with punchy and humorous (and a little bit of diplomacy)
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps because I'm an engineer, and/or someone who has been fascinated by, and inspired by, the 'space race' throughout my life, I actually see this as a positive development.
<snip>

Sorry for my late reply, I had a manic weekend moving into our new house…
I just want to clarify that I am for space exploration, the space station program fascinates me and the advances made in space travel were the birthplace of many of the things we take for granted today.
My point was lost in the post’s brevity and the following responses.
Our planet is currently heating up and while three rockets are going to make little difference initially, the only obvious goals are to provide a service little more than an extension of the cruise ship industry. Blasting people up into space, or nearly into space, might be able to turn a good financial profit and some fantastic Instagram pics but the climatic cost could make the airline industry look as carbon friendly as riding a bicycle.

Elon Musk in particular must be having quite the laugh at our expense. He likes to tout his battery and solar powered companies for their environmental benefits while conveniently ignoring the impacts that will be had when we have to start disposing of all his worn out electrics - not that that should make a huge impact on crusties, such as myself, who are likely to be dead in the next two decades but the shit we’re leaving for our grandkids…

Edit: Advance apologies, I usually post from a laptop but am stuck with my phone at the moment and if you are seeing a blue underlined post, as I am, you are stuck with it as it appears to be a default setting on a system dumbed down for phones and I haven’t the foggiest on how to correct it.

Last edited by zzrmark; Aug 2nd 2021 at 3:01 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post

Sorry for my late reply, I had a manic weekend moving into our new house…
I just want to clarify that I am for space exploration, the space station program fascinates me and the advances made in space travel were the birthplace of many of the things we take for granted today.
My point was lost in the post’s brevity and the following responses.
Our planet is currently heating up and while three rockets are going to make little difference initially, the only obvious goals are to provide a service little more than an extension of the cruise ship industry. Blasting people up into space, or nearly into space, might be able to turn a good financial profit and some fantastic Instagram pics but the climatic cost could make the airline industry look as carbon friendly as riding a bicycle.

Elon Musk in particular must be having quite the laugh at our expense. He likes to tout his battery and solar powered companies for their environmental benefits while conveniently ignoring the impacts that will be had when we have to start disposing of all his worn out electrics - not that that should make a huge impact on crusties, such as myself, who are likely to be dead in the next two decades but the shit we’re leaving for our grandkids…

Edit: Advance apologies, I usually post from a laptop but am stuck with my phone at the moment and if you are seeing a blue underlined post, as I am, you are stuck with it as it appears to be a default setting on a system dumbed down for phones and I haven’t the foggiest on how to correct it.
You really did manage to make a mess of the post, didn't you! I have never tried to post from my phone as I'm pretty much always close enough to my laptop. If I'm out and about away from my laptop, posting on BE isn't typically a priority anyway! On a decent browser, when things get really messed up, you can click the 'source' button in the editor and 'fine tune' the problem, but I wouldn't know where to begin on the phone (and don't intend to ever learn!).

I would agree that 'space tourism' is in itself not a terribly worthy goal, but I know that between the triumvirate of Branson/Musk/Bezos, they are aiming to develop core 'infrastructure' technologies that would support all manner of space-related activities - including cargo, satellite deployment, space colonization, etc.

This article describes the goals of all three .... https://news.yahoo.com/space-race-je...090740401.html
Clearly, in my view, Musk is way ahead of the others in terms of value to the overall advancement of space exploration;
"The company (SpaceX) is known for being the first private company to successfully launch, orbit, and recover a spacecraft, the first private company to send a spacecraft to the International Space Station (ISS), and the producer of the first successful vertical take-off and vertical landing orbital rocket, among other feats. Musk's long-term goal is to colonize Mars through more efficient space travel methods."

I'm sure Dave_J has more to say on the topic!

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 2nd 2021 at 4:46 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 5:22 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure Dave_J has more to say on the topic!
A little off topic but for anyone interested have a look at https://www.spacex.com
There's a docking simulator to the ISS down the page that's fun for the kids (and me), but reviewing the landings always has me admiring the engineering that has perfected such a program.

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 12:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Do we ever get to put this man in prison?

He's scamming his own devotees.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tiny-criticism

This is just one of them. More in the article.

"Just days after his defeat last November, Trump launched a new political action committee, dubbed Save America, that together with his campaign and the Republican National Committee quickly raked in tens of millions of dollars through text and email appeals for a Trump “election defense fund”, ostensibly to fight the results with baseless lawsuits alleging fraud. The fledgling Pac had raised a whopping $31.5m by year’s end, but Save America spent nothing on legal expenses in this same period, according to public records. Run by Trump’s 2016 campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, Save America only spent $340,000 on fundraising expenses last year."
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 1:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

Well there are some advantages to it.

I wonder what would happen if someone managed to post that (lack of) spending report on one of his fan sites?
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 1:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well there are some advantages to it.

They can all go down together?
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 2:01 pm
Oscar nominated

They can all go down together?
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tiny-criticism

This is just one of them. More in the article.

"Just days after his defeat last November, Trump launched a new political action committee, dubbed Save America, that together with his campaign and the Republican National Committee quickly raked in tens of millions of dollars through text and email appeals for a Trump “election defense fund”, ostensibly to fight the results with baseless lawsuits alleging fraud. The fledgling Pac had raised a whopping $31.5m by year’s end, but Save America spent nothing on legal expenses in this same period, according to public records. Run by Trump’s 2016 campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, Save America only spent $340,000 on fundraising expenses last year."
It was noted at the time that the small print pretty much admitted that it was likely the money would not be going on legal fees. On the one hand, it shows him up for what he is, on the other, if suckers want to keep sending money...............
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 6:13 pm
Listen to the Music

Originally Posted by robtuck View Post
It was noted at the time that the small print pretty much admitted that it was likely the money would not be going on legal fees. On the one hand, it shows him up for what he is, on the other, if suckers want to keep sending money...............
Q. Why do political parties encourage the acquisition of money in the US?

A1. To syphon it off into their own pockets.

A2. Because it's used to buy votes, whether through advertising, employing staffers or simple bribery. Financial resources more than often than not = Electoral Success

If all the money is used for A1 than yes, it's exploitation of fools, but if it's used for A2 it's dangerous when a MAGAlomaniac like Trump stands to gain from it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.