Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Oct 17th 2020, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
This thread is about Trump.
Trump will be defeated in a vote that'll obliterate him and he'll take the republicans with him.
"How can you be so sure?" I hear you ask.
It's the mathematics of common sense.
He won the 2016 election by a quirk of the electoral system but lost the popular vote by 3m.
In the four years since he's attempted to consolidate his base but done nothing to expand it.
There are rumours that a small percentage of evangelicals have leached away.https://www.politicususa.com/2019/12...his-faith.html
There are rumours that a small percentage of white women voters have leached away.https://www.politicususa.com/2019/08...rump-poll.html
There are rumours that a small percentage of registered republicans have leached away.https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/118226...support-polls/
Trump knows this and his remaining troops have been acting to make voting difficult, but it won't be enough.
Trump will lose in a landslide.
The democrats will control congress and the presidency.
It's the dictate of common sense.
Everything you say is very logical and reasonable. But I fear we are not dealing with a logical and reasonable person, nor a logical and reasonable system ... so I will believe it when I see it.

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 17th 2020 at 10:07 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2020, 10:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
It will be interesting to see how much of this is a personality cult, that will wither, or if someone else can take on the orange baton and still garner wide spread support. I have not seen a clear heir yet.
Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
Nor will you, a dictator's family and henchmen know that they don't put their heads above the parapet until they can be sure it won't be lopped off!! Ivanka would be the one to keep an eye on, although Eric is gobby enough to rabble rouse very effectively.
I’d always assumed Ivanka would be the one to emerge in the future as a presidential candidate, if the United States, and/or the office of President, still exists in a few years time.

But realistically - she is completely and utterly without charisma or, indeed, the ability to deliver a speech.
Old Oct 17th 2020, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
While I'm hoping for a landslide beating I don't think it will set us on the right path. Trump has gone low but I don't think he's gone low enough or far enough towards dictatorship (in their minds not mine) to remind the more 'moderate' of his base that choosing the wrong candidate can mess up democracy and land them with a fully fledged dictator. Which means that even if Trump loses this time round the emboldened hardcore will have four years to bolster support for a junior Trump run in 2024, which shouldn't be too hard as a Biden-Harris administration are going to have to make some unpopular decisions to find the funds to square things up and the anti-taxation brigade are going to jump straight back on the (Eric?) Trump bandwaggon.
I think it will have to get really bad before any stability will come from electing either party without having an extremist fronting one or both, history shows us that the more extreme we shift in one cycle, the more likely the support for an extreme choice from the opposition next time round.
Trumpism has to reach such a low point that it garners the same attention from Joe Public as the KKK does, enough to be distasteful but not enough to stand for an election, until which point we will swing gradually further to the extremes every four years and eventually reach a point where we realise that we've messed up enough for it to resonate in every election for the next fifty or so years - by which time we may well be reliant upon an uprising rather than voting to make a change...
It will be interesting to see how much of this is a personality cult, that will wither, or if someone else can take on the orange baton and still garner wide spread support. I have not seen a clear heir yet.
I tried to get this discussion going a while back but no takers. I'm hoping that a landslide defeat of a) Trump and b) the Republican senate combined will scare the Republican mainstream base into never taking a risk like Trump ever again - back to picking candidates like McCaine. But I fear that is being naïve. I fear that Trump could be so angry and so determined to 'get his own back' that he will spend the next 4 years sowing massive dissent, using his financial strength, name recognition, media awareness, etc to stay in the forefront of the population's consciousness. He could then aggressively push Ivanka or another family member as the next candidate for 2024.

Related to this is what will happen to all the crazies like the Q-Anon guys, the white supremacists, etc - will they become disheartened and fade away, or will they use this defeat as a rallying cry for the salvation of the country? I've spent the past week doing a deep dive into Q-Anon and it's a very scary phenomenon. If Trump put all his energy and resources into whipping up a frenzy with Q-anon, proud boys, etc things could get really messy over the next 4 years.

And as has been said - Biden and Co will have their work cut out, recovering from Covid-19 and the previous massive tax cuts. The greatest irony I hear from Trump is that "Obama/Biden had the slowest recovery since 1929" (or similar); as if, they should have recovered much better from the utter disaster handed to them by Bush.

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 17th 2020 at 10:32 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2020, 10:57 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
But realistically - she is completely and utterly without charisma or, indeed, the ability to deliver a speech.
That is what most of us thought about Trump, I can not put myself in the Trump cult mindset, there are apparently limits to my ability for empathy. who knows how she comes across to them.
Old Oct 17th 2020, 11:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That is what most of us thought about Trump, I can not put myself in the Trump cult mindset, there are apparently limits to my ability for empathy. who knows how she comes across to them.
Maybe it wouldn't matter if they saw it as him by proxy. Could even be a way past two terms
Old Oct 17th 2020, 11:29 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Maybe it wouldn't matter if they saw it as him by proxy. Could even be a way past two terms
Oh my God that's terrifying and totally plausible. Putin style, have her run and even tell people it will be him calling the shots.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:04 am
I'm Not Dead Yet!

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my God that's terrifying and totally plausible. Putin style, have her run and even tell people it will be him calling the shots.
Going far out here, but is there anything to prevent Trump becoming a two- (or more) term as VP under a Trump family member after a two-term Presidency?
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Gawd this thread has got depressing.

Never Trump, any Trump!
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:21 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Going far out here, but is there anything to prevent Trump becoming a two- (or more) term as VP under a Trump family member after a two-term Presidency?
Unlikely, due to amendments and such, although I think the wording is such that there is a possible loophole based around the word "elected". Not much a loophole though. Kim probably knows.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Can we realistically expect the McDognuts burger munching old scroat to live that long?
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:30 am
Fair and balanced

Depends on the composition of the Supreme Court. This wording is a high bar to get over, but who can say with a right hand picked court: "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States." Though I also think Federal law would be in play too, whether or not that can get on the ballot in each state.
edit: yes what Lion says is a possible loop hole too (22nd), though I think the wording I quoted here is harder to get past (12th).
edit 2: An originalist interpretation could say that the 12th should not be viewed in the context of the 22nd as it had not been created at the time of the 12th. So VP requirements do not include the restriction of the 22nd anyway. So term limits should not be a consideration for VP.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 18th 2020 at 12:46 am.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Gawd this thread has got depressing.

Never Trump, any Trump!
I was led to believe that Nellie The Elephant packed Trump and said goodbye to the circus several decades ago. Or did I mishear it?
Old Oct 18th 2020, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Go
Wear a hazmat suit
Carry a sign saying TRUMP'S A LYING PIG
Report back here
We have pitched our little tent in the entrance queue awaiting the start of this exciting peaceful protest event tomorrow, so we can get to the front row first. The cat has elected not to come along, not so much that his ginger fur is misaligned with his political preference, but I think he would rather sit in front of the fireplace at home in these increasingly chilly nighttime temperatures.
The local public shooting ranges have been shut down in the interim for "safety reasons", seems sensible enough.
Will transmit more from my sleeping bag as events unfold.

Old Oct 18th 2020, 8:33 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv View Post
We have pitched our little tent in the entrance queue awaiting the start of this exciting peaceful protest event tomorrow, so we can get to the front row first. The cat has elected not to come along, not so much that his ginger fur is misaligned with his political preference, but I think he would rather sit in front of the fireplace at home in these increasingly chilly nighttime temperatures.
The local public shooting ranges have been shut down in the interim for "safety reasons", seems sensible enough.
Will transmit more from my sleeping bag as events unfold.
I would have thunked it was better to have the guns at the ranges and not at the rallies.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

It is now the AM, a beautiful morning, and everyone is in high spirits. We are all chugging away at the beer while awaiting the President's arrival. I think this uplifting event is exactly what is needed in these depressing times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.