Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Sep 28th 2020, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by paulry View Post

So is Trump alleged to have broken any taxation related laws?
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Yes. The reports very clearly state the legitimacy of a refund is in doubt. Did you not bother to read it ? I'm sure there's a video somewhere.
He also appears to have claimed that one of his private residences was commercial, the back taxes avoided on that one property alone are eyewatering.

LOCK HIM UP.

(Then we won't have to worry about stumping up for a security detail, which, with his diet, shouldn't be for very long)
Old Sep 28th 2020, 9:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
There is much discussion about an audit. If you fail an audit and have to pay, does that constitute breaking 'taxation related laws'?
If something was misrepresented in the process that resulted in that refund then that would fit any normal definition of fraud. What's the declaration whenever a tax return is submitted?
From wiki - Under the federal law of the United States of America, tax evasion or tax fraud, is the purposeful illegal attempt of a taxpayer to evade assessment or payment of a tax imposed by Federal law. Conviction of tax evasion may result in fines and imprisonment
It's hard to imagine a refund not due resulted from anything but misrepresentation. Of course there's official error, but there's generally a responsibility of the recipient to be sure they were due monies paid.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 9:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I still think back to the actual election, where it looked as though Trump didn't want to or expect to get elected and just kept saying increasingly outrageous and preposterous things to see how far he could go. If the reported tax info is correct, he was in serious financial trouble with a whopping great debt, and a presidential run looked like a giant publicity stunt to put his brand back in the public eye, presumably with hoped-for tv roles and other engagements to follow. Unfortunately for everyone, and quite possibly to his own surprise, he got elected. Playing down the covid and urging everyone to open up the economy again would also have a direct relationship to many of his business ventures - hotels and golf resorts don't exactly do well in the current situation. He just looks like a not-very-good businessman but a flipper of assets, stripping them out on credit which then gets moved to the next venture. Other than any refunds that he should not have had, or conflict of interest that may appear with his family dealings from which he has not fully divested, his ability to avoid personal income tax just looks a lot like sharp practice and, indeed, "gaming the system" as the NYT said.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 9:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
He also appears to have claimed that one of his private residences was commercial, the back taxes avoided on that one property alone are eyewatering.

LOCK HIM UP.

(Then we won't have to worry about stumping up for a security detail, which, with his diet, shouldn't be for very long)

That's a bit harsh - did he send any emails?
Old Sep 28th 2020, 9:55 pm

And this is an excellent point:

"The New York Times report reveals that Trump is leveraged to the tune of more than $400m, much of it personally guaranteed. Most reputable lending institutions would require significant collateral to extend that kind of credit. Who then, would be willing to lend so much money to such a high-risk client?We don’t know that answer, of course. It does raise the legitimate question, though: to whom does the president of the United States owe so much money, and what are they willing to do to ensure repayment? Especially when you consider that he has hundreds of millions of dollars in loans due for collection in the next four years. If he is unable to pay them back, what would these lenders be willing to accept in kind as payment for unpaid debts from the man who hopes to continue being the leader of the free world?"

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...urns-president
Old Sep 28th 2020, 9:56 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

LOCK HIM UP.
passe

FLICK THAT SWITCH!
Old Sep 28th 2020, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
And this is an excellent point:

"The New York Times report reveals that Trump is leveraged to the tune of more than $400m, much of it personally guaranteed. Most reputable lending institutions would require significant collateral to extend that kind of credit. Who then, would be willing to lend so much money to such a high-risk client?We don’t know that answer, of course. It does raise the legitimate question, though: to whom does the president of the United States owe so much money, and what are they willing to do to ensure repayment? Especially when you consider that he has hundreds of millions of dollars in loans due for collection in the next four years. If he is unable to pay them back, what would these lenders be willing to accept in kind as payment for unpaid debts from the man who hopes to continue being the leader of the free world?"

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...urns-president

So one can be hundreds of millions in debt and be US President with the power it brings, but many companies consider 10,000 in personal debt too high risk for $15/hr jobs.

I applied to a job back in 2012 at a call center, but they had a rule that nobody could have more than 10,000 in debt (excluding car loans and mortgages) and I had a little over 12,000 in student loan debt, so I was deemed to high risk to work in a call center for $15 per hour.

Old Sep 28th 2020, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
So one can be hundreds of millions in debt and be US President with the power it brings, but many companies consider 10,000 in personal debt too high risk for $15/hr jobs.

I applied to a job back in 2012 at a call center, but they had a rule that nobody could have more than 10,000 in debt (excluding car loans and mortgages) and I had a little over 12,000 in student loan debt, so I was deemed to high risk to work in a call center for $15 per hour.

They did credit checks on you? I'm surprised that's even legal, but I'm often surprised regarding worker rights (or lack thereof) in this country. POTUS' huge debt is a problem because of the security issue. I believe secret service people etc have debt stipulations so that they can't be got at/blackmailed/bribed. Was this for an FBI call center ?
Old Sep 28th 2020, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

They did credit checks on you? I'm surprised that's even legal, but I'm often surprised regarding worker rights (or lack thereof) in this country. POTUS' huge debt is a problem because of the security issue. I believe secret service people etc have debt stipulations so that they can't be got at/blackmailed/bribed. Was this for an FBI call center ?
The security risk angle is exactly what Pelosi has been playing up today. For good reason.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

On Star the GM service they used to have, (maybe still do) not employed by GM though, GM contracted out to a 3rd party, it was a position in Canada though, the privacy laws are better here, but there is still a multitude of ways companies can legally do credit checks or background checks, said checks do require your consent, but then if you decline consent the company wont hire you....lol

Sure I was allowed to not consent to the background checks when working at the airport, but then I would also no longer be employed.

Background check companies are big industry....

If your into having privacy never work at an airport, they want 5 to 10 years of your life written out, every address, every job, every day in the time period accounted for.

Old Sep 28th 2020, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So one can be hundreds of millions in debt and be US President with the power it brings, but many companies consider 10,000 in personal debt too high risk for $15/hr jobs..
That's an excellent point. In my old job we were supposed to report bankruptcy or other financial troubles (not mortgage related) and then we'd be kept off duties involving cash and other valuables.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some body cam footage of the Brad Parscale incident at his Florida home with police.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...pme-story.html

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 29th 2020 at 12:17 am.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Some body cam footage of the Brad Parscale incident at his Florida home with police.

Texas comes to Florida, it's only to be expected.

A backfiring car? Really?
I know the banking system is a tad 20th century, top loading washing machines are still de rigeur, the mobile phone system is slow (I had zero service, in a populated area, for two hours this morning, two hours ffs!!) and internet speeds can be sketchy but seriously folks, when was the last time you heard a car backfire? I'm surprised a 41 year old woman would ever have heard one or, at the very least, be old enough to remember them.

Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bit harsh - did he send any emails?
Are you sure he knows how to use email?
Old Sep 29th 2020, 1:09 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Texas comes to Florida, it's only to be expected.

A backfiring car? Really?
I know the banking system is a tad 20th century, top loading washing machines are still de rigeur, the mobile phone system is slow (I had zero service, in a populated area, for two hours this morning, two hours ffs!!) and internet speeds can be sketchy but seriously folks, when was the last time you heard a car backfire? I'm surprised a 41 year old woman would ever have heard one or, at the very least, be old enough to remember them.
A few thoughts . . .

Bwah ha ha ha ha

Was that a beer?

How dare he involve that poor dog in all of this!

Good thing he wasn't black.

EDIT TO ADD: Now that I've read the article ... yes that was a beer. Ewww.

He's almost 7' tall and he beats his wife. What else can possibly be said?

I'm sure the Tik Tok decision was the icing on the cake yesterday though.

Last edited by Leslie; Sep 29th 2020 at 2:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.