Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Sep 27th 2020, 6:08 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
The big puzzle is that you appear to take issue with anyone who opposes this sort of blind following (like Brexit or Johnson's support) telling people they don't understand what creates that sort of thing and now you say you don't understand it.
I'm not sure that's what I've advocated at all. What I have have banged on and on about are what, in my view, have been the misplaced excuses put forward for the referendum and election results and have proposed time and time again that the major reasons for these have been the gut wrenching feelings of those ignored by governments of all colours for a very long time. In doing so I blindly follow nobody, my thoughts are solely home grown.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 11:48 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
I'm not sure that's what I've advocated at all. What I have have banged on and on about are what, in my view, have been the misplaced excuses put forward for the referendum and election results and have proposed time and time again that the major reasons for these have been the gut wrenching feelings of those ignored by governments of all colours for a very long time. In doing so I blindly follow nobody, my thoughts are solely home grown.
Well now, that underlined part was not what I said was it.

But you just followed your comment that you don't understand people's sheep like support of (something like) Trump by stating the major reasons are the gut wrenching feelings of those ignored by governments.

That's exactly the point I was making; the contradiction. You don't understand, apparently, but then you give your explanation.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 4:45 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Well now, that underlined part was not what I said was it.
But you just followed your comment that you don't understand people's sheep like support of (something like) Trump by stating the major reasons are the gut wrenching feelings of those ignored by governments.
That's exactly the point I was making; the contradiction. You don't understand, apparently, but then you give your explanation.
I think we may be talking at cross purposes.
My original point, probably badly put as usual, was that I found it difficult to understand why people chose to follow a particular belief that was, to my mind, deeply flawed, in this case blindly following a man like Trump whose actions are clearly at odds with the public good, and no doubt you'd add Johnson to that list.
I can understand why large groups of people act in concert where there is an understandable explaination for their action.
Now where you stand on some issues will be influenced by your personal attitude towards the problem in hand. For example, from your reply I suspect that you consider following Johnson betrays a cult-like mindset since you'll attach his motives much the same as Trump's, one that's at odds with the public good. No doubt some people do think he's wonderful and that's the issue, blindly following a man like Johnson for no reason other than that some of his beliefs coincide with yours is no good reason to follow him whatsoever he does although many will appear to follow Johnson because his actions support their their own and they'll continue to do so for so long as he keeps this up.
Majority support for Johnson is different to that under discussion. I suspect that Johnson's support would vanish overnight if he compromised on brexit, in this it's the underlying cause that you could argue is akin to a cult.
This is where we differ, I believe there are understandable reasons for brexit and I believe you think it's a mistake, in neither instance is the case likened to a religion, there are genuine coherent arguments in favour of both.
I see little reason to blindly follow a man like Trump unless you sincerely believe in despotism and since this won't apply to most of his followers I find myself unable to understand them.

Old Sep 27th 2020, 5:05 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I won't hear a word said against that man. I actually saw him live, with his sons, a couple of years ago. He's very much all there.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 12:05 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So for 2016 and 2017, our hero paid only $750 in federal income tax. In ten of the preceding years, he paid none at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...box=1601244260

But he's for the little man.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

So for 2016 and 2017, our hero paid only $750 in federal income tax. In ten of the preceding years, he paid none at all.

So basically contributes nothing tax wise to society.

Even we paid more in taxes than Trump.....

And some reason people like Trump can't pay more in taxes? At least according to some they pay too much even.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 28th 2020 at 12:26 am.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 12:28 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Finally proof that he is for the little guy, he knows what it is like to be plagued with debt, who can now say his tax cuts were self interest? and the IRS coming after him for over 70 million, his debt is going to be biggest greatest debt the World has ever known! Another 400 million to pay in four years, shall we start a Go Fund Me?
Old Sep 28th 2020, 12:56 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Finally proof that he is for the little guy, he knows what it is like to be plagued with debt, who can now say his tax cuts were self interest? and the IRS coming after him for over 70 million, his debt is going to be biggest greatest debt the World has ever known! Another 400 million to pay in four years, shall we start a Go Fund Me?
Think of all the money his hotels and golf courses are making from the Secret Service budget.... And he'll have a Secret Service detail for life.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Fake news, paid lots of taxes. The press conference is entertaining lol

Old Sep 28th 2020, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Think of all the money his hotels and golf courses are making from the Secret Service budget.... And he'll have a Secret Service detail for life.
I believe Bush junior cut it to ten years.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
I believe Bush junior cut it to ten years.
Nah, had nothing to do with Bush Jr, he was to be the first president to only get 10 years protection.

In 1994 in a cost cutting measure, it was reduced to 10 years, but President Clinton was exempt and still got protection for life.

In 2013 lifetime protection was restored.

Presidents are free to relinquish Secret Service protection if they so desire after leaving office though, they are not forced to have it.

Children of ex-presidents only get protection until age 16 with the change in 2013.

Bush did sign a presidential directive just before leaving office providing extended protection for his daughters as at the time they would lose protection when he left office. Bill Clinton did the same for Chelsea.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-r...er-presidents/

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 28th 2020 at 4:44 am.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

So this is a great opportunity for Trump to prove that "The Failing New York Times" prints "fake news". All he has to do is... release his tax returns. Simple.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

$70k for a bald guy...

Old Sep 28th 2020, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
So this is a great opportunity for Trump to prove that "The Failing New York Times" prints "fake news". All he has to do is... release his tax returns. Simple.
We know he wont, but yes simple solution to resolve it all.

Trump supporters are out in force claiming the facts speak otherwise and its fake, and people should follow the facts, but they wont provide any facts lol
Old Sep 28th 2020, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Hairstyling maybe code for hair implants or wigs or something, cause if he is paying 70k for what he has if its natural, he is getting ripped off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.