Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Aug 19th 2020, 9:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Do you never have the need to use GPS to get anywhere? I've paid hundreds for dedicated GPS units in the past (TomTom's, Garmin's, etc) and thousands to have built-in GPS in my car, and I would say 'Google Maps' is infinitely better (available on your smartphone; and/or, Apple Maps). The latest smartphones have decent cameras built in. Not that you would use it to challenge David Bailey, perhaps, but can be useful to remember where you parked your car in a big garage (eg, airport), or - my current favorite use - snapping a picture of a 'part' at home before going to a hardware store in search of a replacement - just show the store-guy your picture and it saves a lot of confusion. My phone has a passable 'spirit level' app, and I've used it to level wall art without having to bother going to the garage to find the 'real' spirit level. And of course, the flashlight feature is useful. And the 'magnifying glass' feature - uses the camera in combo with the flashlight to allow you to read small print without having to get out the magnifying glass (useful to us old-fogies; used to use it nightly in restaurants to read the bill ). Calculator app is very functional and always on hand (assuming you carry it ). I have an app that will function as a remote control, useful sometimes when I can't find the real thing ... . I also use my phone when I hike; it keeps track of how many miles, how many calories burned, etc ...
GPS? No, I use a map. I might research a route at home, using google maps, but once in the car, I memorize a route and if I need to “recalculate” I’ll pull off the road, put on my reading glasses, and look at the map again. Now that I’m 70 years old, I think it’s important to keep up that type of mental exercise.

Basically, never having relied on a mobile in either UK or US, I see no particular need to start now. I’m fine with other people diving in - our daughter visited us from MA a week or two ago, and sent me her Waze route, so was able to follow her along the road in real time - to the extent that I went outside to greet her when I saw she was driving up our road. She constantly calls from her car to chat and such, which is fine, but I’m ok to be off the grid for hours and days at a time.

Old Aug 19th 2020, 9:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, the camera on my iPad is superb .. presumably the one on my iPhone is the same. I know it’s a good quality camera, because, if taking a photo of a butterfly, for instance, I’ll take it from several feet away, then edit the image to make the butterfly fill the frame, and there’s little or no visible loss off definition.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I bet Trump hates being called weak.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:37 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
It goes back to his youth, I suppose. Not often is a public figure's history exposed to the same degree as Trump's has been.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:47 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I suspect that Trump is weak and he knows it deep down, it's why he has to carve his way through life using his wealth and position to bully those around him.
I think that there are two kinds of hangers on, those who hang onto his coat-tails and those who recognise his vulnerability and use him. Strangely I think he then becomes their vassal and's willing to please them, from Xi to Putin to Barr, no doubt revelling in the odd pat on the head they give him.
But he lives in a world of his own creation, one that places him at the centre of his fantasy.
Not really a problem EXCEPT he's got his finger on the button and I see no evidence that anybody around him has the balls to gainsay his orders.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 7:44 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, he hasn't triggered any wars.
He's facilitated peace accords in the Middle East.
He's firmly put Iran and China - both global threats on the back foot.
He's pacified that North Korean dictator.
He's presided over a strong and resilient US economy.
He's securing the USA's southern border.
He's presided over the destruction of ISIS.
And I'm sure a whole lot more.
....While simultaneously fighting an endless war waged by those who could never accept that he is their democratically-elected president.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 12:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Funny, he hasn't triggered any wars.
He's facilitated peace accords in the Middle East.
He's firmly put Iran and China - both global threats on the back foot.
He's pacified that North Korean dictator.
He's presided over a strong and resilient US economy.
He's securing the USA's southern border.
He's presided over the destruction of ISIS.
And I'm sure a whole lot more.
....While simultaneously fighting an endless war waged by those who could never accept that he is their democratically-elected president.
- Funny I don't remember seeing anyone sign anything.
- China is on the back foot? By what definition?
- NK is pacified, but only because he got on his knees and gave Kim the happy ending he wanted. The US should not be legitimizing brutal dictators.
- Maybe if you look at the stock market. Oh and how was it during the last couple years of Obamas term? The market was juiced by a Trillion $ tax cut that we couldn't afford and didn't need.
- The Southern border? Is that check from Mexico in the mail or something?

Oh and let's not forget about 173,000 dead Americans. 200,000 lies. A ravaged economy. Russia. Making money off the Presidency.

'and I'm sure a whole lot more'

But you keep your head right up that *ss there paulry. Problem is, to the rest of us, it just smells like sh*t.

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 20th 2020 at 12:08 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Steve Bannon has finally been charged with fraud. He's accused of making off with some of those "build the wall" donations.

The expression "poetic justice" comes to mind.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Well, Steve Bannon has finally been charged with fraud. He's accused of making off with some of those "build the wall" donations.

I had different words in mind
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I had different words in mind

Well yes, those too.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

MAGA
Many Americans Get Arrested
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
MAGA
Many Americans Get Arrested
So they'll get a wall. It'll just be around a prison.

Unless of course Trump pardons him.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder where that money went? Promoting far right movements in Europe or may be keeping the cash for himself?
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
I wonder where that money went? Promoting far right movements in Europe or may be keeping the cash for himself?
Funding British Expats trolls?
Old Aug 20th 2020, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

So they'll get a wall. It'll just be around a prison.

Unless of course Trump pardons him.
The rest of the world has already built a wall around the US.

I would presume a pardon for all members of the Trump crime family is pretty much inevitable. I hope individual states can go after them and Trump.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 20th 2020 at 4:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.