Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Aug 19th 2020, 12:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
I would have thought that the ads were aimed at Puerto Ricans who have settled on the mainland and do have voting rights, although the small number of Puerto Ricans that I do know, living in Florida and Texas, are about as anti-Trump as a person could get.

You may well be right. I doubt anyone cares much about people who don't have the vote. They barely care about those who do.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
In other years, has there always been groups of Democrats or Republicans being very vocal about how they're going to vote for the other party because of the behaviour of their president whilst still holding firm on their party's beliefs?
In my recollection, there was a similar movement last presidential election (2016); Fewer than this time, but it happened. Colin Powell was one memorable example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ntial_campaign

GW Bush
George Bush
Jeb Bush
and whole lot more listed ...
Old Aug 19th 2020, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should book a flight in October to hand in my ballot in person, with all this USPS mess almost kind of worried about mailing it in.

Thinking about the USPS, does not seem UPS or Fedex want anything to do with mail (they would never service rural America like the USPS does, I have relatives in rural Texas and its USPS or nothing basically according to their posts on FB supporting the USPS, well I shouldn't say Fedex or UPS don't service the area they do via the USPS doing last mile....

Is this whole USPS attack simply because of the election of does the orange man have other plans that somehow make a friend or 2 some money?

Has anyone texted this number? His banner is stupid on youtube.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Aug 19th 2020 at 1:42 am.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Maybe I should book a flight in October to hand in my ballot in person, with all this USPS mess almost kind of worried about mailing it in.

Thinking about the USPS, does not seem UPS or Fedex want anything to do with mail (they would never service rural America like the USPS does, I have relatives in rural Texas and its USPS or nothing basically according to their posts on FB supporting the USPS, well I shouldn't say Fedex or UPS don't service the area they do via the USPS doing last mile....

Is this whole USPS attack simply because of the election of does the orange man have other plans that somehow make a friend or 2 some money?
As much as your desire is honorable, you are registered in CA, are you not? (CA = california). CA will vote overwhelmingly for Biden, that's a done deal so I wouldn't exactly spend hundreds of dollars! Me, on the other hand ... I'm registered in AZ and we have both a competitive Senate race and the presidential race. Currently, Mark Kelly is favored to win over Martha McSally, and Biden is slightly ahead. I can register in either state, having a home in both places, and I'm seriously considering registering in CA due to better healthcare options, but I'm determined to cast a vote in AZ this November for the symbolic element! If AZ returns a new Dem senator, and if AZ's EC votes go for Biden, I'll be so happy!
Old Aug 19th 2020, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
As much as your desire is honorable, you are registered in CA, are you not? (CA = california). CA will vote overwhelmingly for Biden, that's a done deal so I wouldn't exactly spend hundreds of dollars! Me, on the other hand ... I'm registered in AZ and we have both a competitive Senate race and the presidential race. Currently, Mark Kelly is favored to win over Martha McSally, and Biden is slightly ahead. I can register in either state, having a home in both places, and I'm seriously considering registering in CA due to better healthcare options, but I'm determined to cast a vote in AZ this November for the symbolic element! If AZ returns a new Dem senator, and if AZ's EC votes go for Biden, I'll be so happy!
Yes you do have a good point about being a voter in California, and yes I vote in California since that was my last state of residence.

California used to only allow oversea's voters to vote in federal offices which is required by federal law, so the ballot was quick and easy, a few elections ago, they started allowing oversea's voters to vote in the full election, my wife was amused in a way in 2016 about my little mini ballot novel, Canadian's don't get to vote for nearly as much stuff as we get to vote for in California.

Hopefully Arizona can be flipped this year, I know a couple republicans who say they are voting for Biden who live in Arizona, so there does seem to be a small number of republicans there fed up with Trump. (these are like die hard, have never voted democrat in their life, who still complain about Bill Clinton type republicans but Trump is just too much for them it seems.)

On one hand Trump seems to hate the USPS, then on the hand republicans in some states are getting this in the mail, I have seen articles now about Arizona and one of the Carolina's getting this mailer.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Aug 19th 2020 at 1:54 am.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 2:03 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone texted this number? His banner is stupid on youtube.

I'm sorely tempted to text something else to that number. Repeatedly.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 2:27 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'm sorely tempted to text something else to that number. Repeatedly.
I don’t get that. (I don’t know much about cell phones etc.) What is 88022? Who gets those messages if you text them? And how come the number has only five digits, when phone numbers have ten digits?
Old Aug 19th 2020, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I don’t get that. (I don’t know much about cell phones etc.) What is 88022? Who gets those messages if you text them? And how come the number has only five digits, when phone numbers have ten digits?
It's probably a pay text or something. Ie if I text it, a page will pop up where I can donate to them. Occasionally donations set up this are automatic donations just by texting, with the cost passed on through your phone bill, but I think they do have to say up front if it's structured like that. It doesn't have to look like a phone number because it isn't. It's just a code that will take you to a mobile donation page.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 2:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably a pay text or something. Ie if I text it, a page will pop up where I can donate to them. Occasionally donations set up this are automatic donations just by texting, with the cost passed on through your phone bill, but I think they do have to say up front if it's structured like that. It doesn't have to look like a phone number because it isn't. It's just a code that will take you to a mobile donation page.
OK thanks. My daughter gave me a “smart phone” when I got back from England two months ago, it’s on her account and has unlimited data etc. I have no idea how it works, except that it seems to be a miniaturized version of my iPad. I leave it on my sofa at home and check the phone every couple of weeks, it’s a litany of “missed calls.” (I’ve managed to set up WhatsApp so I can talk to sister & brother in the UK.)
Old Aug 19th 2020, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I couldn't help myself and sent a text, seems they don't text back to Canada because I never got a reply......
Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.slicktext.com/sms-short-code-service.php

SMS Short Code Services

TL/DR - businesses can pay for a 5- or 6-digit 'short code' for marketing / sales purposes, and the incentive is - shorter and therefore easier to remember. Looks like you have to pay hundreds if not thousands for them, so not something the average joe would do just to have a simpler number!

ETA - this looks like a better explanation -
https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/s...numbers-887125
Typically, when you send a text to a 'short code', you include a 'keyword' in the body of the message. So - for example, you may see something on the TV asking you to 'vote' by sending a text to a short code. You would compose the text message as normal, but using the short code instead of the full number. Then your body message may say 'yes' or 'no'. That would be the end of it; no other interaction. But by doing so, you are giving your number to the 'other side', and they can then spam you. Texting 'unsubscribe' to the short code may get you out of it.

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 19th 2020 at 6:44 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK thanks. My daughter gave me a “smart phone” when I got back from England two months ago, it’s on her account and has unlimited data etc. I have no idea how it works, except that it seems to be a miniaturized version of my iPad. I leave it on my sofa at home and check the phone every couple of weeks, it’s a litany of “missed calls.” (I’ve managed to set up WhatsApp so I can talk to sister & brother in the UK.)
Do you never have the need to use GPS to get anywhere? I've paid hundreds for dedicated GPS units in the past (TomTom's, Garmin's, etc) and thousands to have built-in GPS in my car, and I would say 'Google Maps' is infinitely better (available on your smartphone; and/or, Apple Maps). The latest smartphones have decent cameras built in. Not that you would use it to challenge David Bailey, perhaps, but can be useful to remember where you parked your car in a big garage (eg, airport), or - my current favorite use - snapping a picture of a 'part' at home before going to a hardware store in search of a replacement - just show the store-guy your picture and it saves a lot of confusion. My phone has a passable 'spirit level' app, and I've used it to level wall art without having to bother going to the garage to find the 'real' spirit level. And of course, the flashlight feature is useful. And the 'magnifying glass' feature - uses the camera in combo with the flashlight to allow you to read small print without having to get out the magnifying glass (useful to us old-fogies; used to use it nightly in restaurants to read the bill ). Calculator app is very functional and always on hand (assuming you carry it ). I have an app that will function as a remote control, useful sometimes when I can't find the real thing ... . I also use my phone when I hike; it keeps track of how many miles, how many calories burned, etc ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 19th 2020 at 7:01 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:59 pm

I couldn't help myself and sent a text, seems they don't text back to Canada because I never got a reply......
They don't want foreigners Well, not unless you're Russian anyway.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
In my recollection, there was a similar movement last presidential election (2016); Fewer than this time, but it happened. Colin Powell was one memorable example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ntial_campaign

GW Bush
George Bush
Jeb Bush
and whole lot more listed ...
Nice updated list here ... some not voting Trump, some voting Biden ...
https://www.axios.com/republicans-no...3181dd99c.html

How they actually vote is irrelevant IMO; what matters is, will they speak out publicly and encourage others. If Cindy McCain (wife of former AZ Senator John McCain) will speak out vocally for Biden in AZ, that could help swing AZ, which is perhaps the closest of all swing states.

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 19th 2020 at 8:44 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 8:20 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

That probably cost you $30 premium rate text numbers bill you for sending a text to them. It's a mighty fine way of raising donations it's a good scam method as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.