Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Aug 12th 2020, 4:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Bleach.
Oy Vey. Another trip to Walmart is called for. Lightbulbs, while I’m there?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 4:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Oy Vey. Another trip to Walmart is called for. Lightbulbs, while I’m there?
Better get some guns and facemasks. They are patriotic on alternate days.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 4:35 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
He learned from Thatcher the milk snatcher

I used to have this poster on my stairs.

That reminds me of an old British TV series and separate movie called Whoops Apocalypse....
Old Aug 12th 2020, 5:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
That reminds me of an old British TV series and separate movie called Whoops Apocalypse....
And Hot Metal.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Sadly, I wonder how much attention she will get. If I were part of 'Team Trump', I'd advise him to stay well away from her and just focus on Biden.

How much attention was paid to ... what's his name ... I'll have to look it up because he was so inconsequential his name never stuck ... oh, right - Tim Kaine (VP pick of Hillary Clinton)? So there is precedent for totally ignoring the pick. On the other hand, no one can forget Sarah Palin, possibly the worst pick ever, who got a lot of attention, or Dan Quayle, who was also 'memorable'. So let's hope Kamala Harris does get a lot of attention, and let's hope it's positive!
Trump will be unable to resist going after Harris because (i) she's a woman; and (ii) a minority. "Radical leftist from San Francisco" is going to be a phrase we hear a lot, probably with negative insinuations thrown in about her parentage... Never mind that she's actually from Oakland...
Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Man of principle my arse. He was largely responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of people in Central America and South America, along with torture and imprisonment.He militarily, politically and economically supported dictatorships. He provided support to mass murderers such as Roberto D'Aubuisson, head of the death squad in El Salvador and Efrain Rios Montt in Guatemala. 200,000 dead in Guatemala alone. He rejected attempts made by the Sandinistas in Nicaragua after they removed their murderous, US-sponsored distator Somoza Debayle, to normalize the relationship with Washington. Instead, he threw one of the smallest, poorest countries on the continent into a 10-year civil war that caused a huge number of deaths, mostly civilian. He violated American law by selling weapons to Iran to fund the Contra army to do this. He supported the School of the Americas in Fort Benning, Georgia, returning its "curriculum" to one of teaching the military thugs of Central and South America in the techniques of torture, terror, and suppression of resistance, including the direct involvement of the CIA and US military. And he lied about it all, on a regular basis.

Let's not rewrite history.
I was not a fan. I left the UK with Thatcher in charge, and arrived in the US with Reagan in charge - frying pan, fire ... . I remember watching the Iran-Contra hearings every night with great interest.

Reagan did, however, score a major victory in arms control - he truly convinced the Russians that he would out-spend them indefinitely and eventually Gorbachev gave in as they could not afford to keep up. It was obviously dangerous brinkmanship but it paid off; it's not clear the democrats would have ever achieved that; nor the decision by Gorbachev to allow East Germany to re-integrate (completed by Bush 1). This was the clear conclusion of the 'American Experience' documentary and I'm willing to believe it, despite my thorough dislike of his policies.

My main point, however, was the stark contrast between Reagan and Trump. Trump has set a new 'low' that I truly hope is never repeated.

Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the media in Canada have been amusing, I guess technically correct since she did attend school in Montreal area.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...vice-president

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/how-cana...ates-1.5060720
Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Some of the media in Canada have been amusing, I guess technically correct since she did attend school in Montreal area.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...vice-president

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/how-cana...ates-1.5060720
Clearly we need to see her birth certificate. Maybe she's a damned Canuck??
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

I just watched a QAnon supporters video on ABC News. My IQ dropped a few points just watching it. They are all bonkers. Please wake up America.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:12 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Also she is not Muslim! Her mother was South Indian Hindu. Is that better or worse?
Neither is Barack Obama, but that didn't stop the opposition from asserting that he was. Which rather reinforces the point that you have clearly completely missed: none of the accusations (or perceived critisicms) in that list is supportable
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:46 pm
Ex Expat

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Apparently the Trumps have donated to Harris in the past.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...la-harris.html
"According to campaign-finance records, Donald Trump donated a total of $6,000 to Harris’s attorney-general reelection campaigns in 2011 ($5,000) and 2013 ($1,000). Ivanka Trump gave Harris’s campaign $2,000 in 2014. In 2015, months after the elder Trump began spreading the baseless birther conspiracy theory about President Obama on television, Harris donated the $6,000 to a nonprofit that advocates for Central Americans’ right"
yep...that was then
what a difference one's own campaign can make:
https://britishexpats.com/forum/trai...post12895874:p (post # 3890)

Last edited by MMcD; Aug 12th 2020 at 7:55 pm. Reason: tried to fix link
Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:09 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
And Hot Metal.
I don't remember that one.... I'll look it up now.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
Neither is Barack Obama, but that didn't stop the opposition from asserting that he was. Which rather reinforces the point that you have clearly completely missed: none of the accusations (or perceived critisicms) in that list is supportable
I did not miss the point of the list ----just wondered why the 'mock' list included 'Muslim' when she obviously had the name of a different religion!
Old Aug 12th 2020, 9:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
just wondered why the 'mock' list included 'Muslim' when she obviously had the name of a different religion!
Because the US suffers from Islamophobia. I haven't noticed a lot of Hinduphobia.

People get called "muslim" here, and in the UK, as a derogatory term irrespective of whether they are Muslim or adherents of any other religion. A name does not indicate religion in any case except in a few very specific cases. It doesn't even indicate national origin, especially in a country of immigrants like the US. Harris appears to be mostly a Christian Baptist. Obama suffered from the same thing. Barack Hussein Obama, as so many liked to emphasize. Dark, foreign-sounding, not like us, and "accused" of being a Muslim. He practices Christianity too.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Because the US suffers from Islamophobia. I haven't noticed a lot of Hinduphobia.

People get called "muslim" here, and in the UK, as a derogatory term irrespective of whether they are Muslim or adherents of any other religion. A name does not indicate religion in any case except in a few very specific cases. It doesn't even indicate national origin, especially in a country of immigrants like the US. Harris appears to be mostly a Christian Baptist. Obama suffered from the same thing. Barack Hussein Obama, as so many liked to emphasize. Dark, foreign-sounding, not like us, and "accused" of being a Muslim. He practices Christianity too.
I have not noticed that in the UK perhaps they are more knowledgeable in general (apart from some newspapers where all 'browns' are 'Asians'!
Names very much indicate religion! (Where else but Catholic Ireland do boys sometimes have Mary as a middle name!)
Kamala is very much a Hindu name (Sanskrit)---A Muslim would not have that name.
Anyway ---good luck to her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.