Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
But reference to this aspect of Afghan history in the media is there none.
I've seen many references to it but maybe it's not front page because 40 years ago. I quit drinking Russian vodka for 10 years because of them. The Russians say this is when the US created ISIS, and the morphing of Mujahadeen into Al Qaeda and the Taliban a little later doesn't preclude that. It's safe to assume the Taliban has been getting support from Russia in one form or another for 20 years now, and as for the story about bounties on US soldiers it seems too stupid for the Russians (never say never) but right up the alley of Taliban themselves and local warlords. The Taliban makes about $400M yearly on opium, and Russia might be helping with the logistics there.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And of course nobody in the West or other places are using illegal Opium products.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Has Remdesivir been approved for use in other countries yet? I thought it was only approved in the US so far?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN23W1ZH

"The EMA endorsement means physicians can prescribe the Gilead drug in Europe once the European Commission, the EU executive, gives its approval, which is now a formality expected over the coming week." (article is dated june 25).

I can imagine negotiations on supply are somewhat dependent on commitments to buy. If you haven't even given approval yet, does it make sense to commit inventory?
Doesn't appear to be approved in Canada either, and unless in a clinical trial there is no access to the drug anyhow because its not approved for use.

Canada does tend to be slow and cautious at new drugs, so wont be surprised if its not approved here as quick as other countries, being a new drug it is also expensive and may not be used anyhow, cost-benefit and such.

Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
And of course nobody in the West or other places are using illegal Opium products.
[sarcasm assumed] You probably know better than the rest of us what proportion of opiates coming into the west or other places comes from Afghanistan and how much from Mexico and Central and South America. When Russia was fighting in Afghanistan in the 80's they struck a deal with the DEA and the RCMP and intercepted several shiploads of hash bound for North America that were intended to fund the Mujahadeen, an interesting partnership in the middle of a war. How is that opium getting out of Afghan now, and where does it go? Is the CIA taking some that they're supposed to be destroying? $400M is a lot of anything especially at source price.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:02 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I've seen many references to it but maybe it's not front page because 40 years ago. I quit drinking Russian vodka for 10 years because of them. The Russians say this is when the US created ISIS, and the morphing of Mujahadeen into Al Qaeda and the Taliban a little later doesn't preclude that. It's safe to assume the Taliban has been getting support from Russia in one form or another for 20 years now, and as for the story about bounties on US soldiers it seems too stupid for the Russians (never say never) but right up the alley of Taliban themselves and local warlords. The Taliban makes about $400M yearly on opium, and Russia might be helping with the logistics there.
Yes and an interesting short summary here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53220163
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
Yes and an interesting short summary here:
This bit was a little confusing: "It is deeply concerned about the rise of Islamist fundamentalism in the region spreading in its direction. And it sees the Taliban as one potential bulwark against this."
The Taliban are all about Sharia law so I don't see how they're a bulwark against Islamist fundamentalism, but as a proxy power against something even worse I suppose. By the time Afghanistan got invaded the Taliban had already forbidden Al Qaeda from executing any operations in Afghanistan but that didn't slow the coalition down. Too many warlords, too many loyalties; making a Pashtun the puppet president wasn't enough. The Taliban have a filthy record but you don't always get to choose who you have to negotiate with, I suppose.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

United Russia Party candidate Donald Trump has been having quite a few phone conversations with Putin, is he getting berated and insulted for being a loser? I certainly hope so.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

This bit was a little confusing: "It is deeply concerned about the rise of Islamist fundamentalism in the region spreading in its direction. And it sees the Taliban as one potential bulwark against this."
The Taliban are all about Sharia law so I don't see how they're a bulwark against Islamist fundamentalism, but as a proxy power against something even worse I suppose. By the time Afghanistan got invaded the Taliban had already forbidden Al Qaeda from executing any operations in Afghanistan but that didn't slow the coalition down. Too many warlords, too many loyalties; making a Pashtun the puppet president wasn't enough. The Taliban have a filthy record but you don't always get to choose who you have to negotiate with, I suppose.
Definitely a strange world when the Taliban are considered allies against an even worse threat in the form of Al Quaida!
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Just for shits and giggles I would now announce that recent results show that Remdesivir has not been shown to help with Covid 19 so is no longer being considered as a viable option. Also no refunds on unused stock.
If this were to happen, and the UK were involved, it would most definitely be Boris Johnson's fault!
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The US is The Best at new Covid infections though. We win again!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-trump-silent
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

[sarcasm assumed] You probably know better than the rest of us what proportion of opiates coming into the west or other places comes from Afghanistan and how much from Mexico and Central and South America. When Russia was fighting in Afghanistan in the 80's they struck a deal with the DEA and the RCMP and intercepted several shiploads of hash bound for North America that were intended to fund the Mujahadeen, an interesting partnership in the middle of a war. How is that opium getting out of Afghan now, and where does it go? Is the CIA taking some that they're supposed to be destroying? $400M is a lot of anything especially at source price.
What’s the big deal with opium? Isn’t it grown legally as a cash crop in the U.K., if you have a licence? I know my allotment in Norfolk was full of opium poppies the first year, we all assumed because a nearby farmer was growing it. In fact, any time an allotment is neglected, the opium poppies grow again.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

Trump always wanted to be the # 1 winner.

If Trump can manage to win in November after all this, I have lost all faith in my fellow citizens, maybe time to get Canadian citizenship as a backup in the event I need to renounce my US citizenship, at the rate the country is going, not really one I want to be part of.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 9:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

But... but....but... it was going to be gone in April because that's when it gets hot (in absolutely no country on the entire planet and ignoring the fact that half the planet was just leaving summer). This man is good. He can says exactly what he likes, regardless of how stupid it might be and absolutely nothing happens. Most of the world laughs whilst crying and a small amount say He's the Man!
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:05 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
What’s the big deal with opium? Isn’t it grown legally as a cash crop in the U.K., if you have a licence? I know my allotment in Norfolk was full of opium poppies the first year, we all assumed because a nearby farmer was growing it. In fact, any time an allotment is neglected, the opium poppies grow again.
"Ahem, and that concludes the statement for the defence, m'lud"
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I think most that were grown for medical reasons, to be turned into morphine were grown in Afghanistan as a legal crop, and it was when the west invaded they burnt most of the poppy fields, mainly because they didn't know which were legal or not, but also to destabilise the area, it would be then that production was moved. It's much more complicated crop than cannabis as the raw opium has to be tirned into heroin and then that has to be refined and changed into morphine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.