Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump.

President Trump.

Old Feb 24th 2020, 4:49 am
  #27781  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: california
Posts: 6,035
dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Yeah, but anything Obama must be scrapped ...except for the riding the economic wave he started. Donny can take all the credit for that! Otherwise, if Obama's fingerprints are on it, in the loo it goes.

Obama took steps to deal with the financial mess Bush Jnr left behind. He bailed out GM from near bankruptcy and did the same for Chrysler which saved a few million jobs. The stock market began to rise slowly but overall for several years the economy remained lackluster. I remember vacant land in our city that was scheduled for development but there were very few people willing to invest in it so it remained fenced off. The general feeling seemed to be that while things were beginning to improve there were still uncertain times ahead. The rust belt states however gained very little or nothing during Obama's administration After Trump was elected and scrapped all the red tape and regulations on business the economy took off like a rocket. All that vacant land is now built on and just about all of the homes have been sold, most of them selling for above $600,000. Businesses started hiring again and it's obvious that black and Hispanic Americans have shared in the increased employment opportunities. It was the defection of the blue collar workers in the rust belt states that was one of the reasons that Hillary lost. Another was the disenchantment amongst many young Democrat and independent voters with Hillary and who showed their feelings by flocking to Bernie Sanders It seemed that to them Hillary represented just another 4 years of Obama . When Sanders closed down his campaign in deference to Hillary many of Bernie's fans didn't even bother voting at all
dc koop is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 4:57 am
  #27782  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: california
Posts: 6,035
dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Can't do that much these days, Greyhound pulled out of western Canada, there is a patchwork of smaller bus lines who moved in, but not sure one can get to Ontario using the patchwork system left behind.

Via is pretty limited to a couple days a week, and expensive, driving is expensive, really no affordable way to get around Canada, well except hitchhiking. I wouldn't mind seeing Atlantic Canada but it costs so much to get there so never have.

Generally cheaper to take a trip to the US than to travel within Canada.
Isnt Canadian National still running a train service cross country? They were when I lived there. Also Canadian Pacific although they later stopped running a service to Montreal sometime in the late 70s/early 80s
dc koop is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 5:11 am
  #27783  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
Isnt Canadian National still running a train service cross country? They were when I lived there. Also Canadian Pacific although they later stopped running a service to Montreal sometime in the late 70s/early 80s
CN and CP are only freight now, no passenger.

Via Rail is the passenger train service, from Vancouver they only have 1 train, long haul called The Canadian, goes to Toronto, it doesn't run daily, I think its 3 days a week, or is it 2, somewhere around there and isn't exactly affordable, often cheaper to fly.






scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 5:53 am
  #27784  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,313
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
Obama took steps to deal with the financial mess Bush Jnr left behind. He bailed out GM from near bankruptcy and did the same for Chrysler which saved a few million jobs. The stock market began to rise slowly but overall for several years the economy remained lackluster. I remember vacant land in our city that was scheduled for development but there were very few people willing to invest in it so it remained fenced off. The general feeling seemed to be that while things were beginning to improve there were still uncertain times ahead. The rust belt states however gained very little or nothing during Obama's administration After Trump was elected and scrapped all the red tape and regulations on business the economy took off like a rocket. All that vacant land is now built on and just about all of the homes have been sold, most of them selling for above $600,000. Businesses started hiring again and it's obvious that black and Hispanic Americans have shared in the increased employment opportunities. It was the defection of the blue collar workers in the rust belt states that was one of the reasons that Hillary lost. Another was the disenchantment amongst many young Democrat and independent voters with Hillary and who showed their feelings by flocking to Bernie Sanders It seemed that to them Hillary represented just another 4 years of Obama . When Sanders closed down his campaign in deference to Hillary many of Bernie's fans didn't even bother voting at all
Well, he's still trying to shake the Obama thing. Just by saying it over and over and over again.

Fact check: How Trump's economy compares to Obama's

Obama’s Last Three Years Of Job Growth All Beat Trump’s Best Year

On economy, Trump picks a fight with Obama he cannot win

Trump needs people to believe he's singlehandedly responsible for creating an economic nirvana unlike any ever witnessed by humans, but reality is stubborn
amideislas is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 6:11 am
  #27785  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: california
Posts: 6,035
dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Well, he's still trying to shake the Obama thing. Just by saying it over and over and over again.

Fact check: How Trump's economy compares to Obama's

Obama’s Last Three Years Of Job Growth All Beat Trump’s Best Year

On economy, Trump picks a fight with Obama he cannot win

Trump needs people to believe he's singlehandedly responsible for creating an economic nirvana unlike any ever witnessed by humans, but reality is stubborn
It's really all irrelevant now though. The Democrats now have to prove that they can do even better in the next four years. Bread and butter issues being priority amongst most voters
dc koop is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 6:14 am
  #27786  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,004
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Well, he's still trying to shake the Obama thing. Just by saying it over and over and over again.

Fact check: How Trump's economy compares to Obama's

Obama’s Last Three Years Of Job Growth All Beat Trump’s Best Year

On economy, Trump picks a fight with Obama he cannot win

Trump needs people to believe he's singlehandedly responsible for creating an economic nirvana unlike any ever witnessed by humans, but reality is stubborn
And given both Trump and koop like to drone on about the stock market, that also performed better under Obama (Dow, S&P, NASDAQ) than Trump. Which is quite remarkable given the economy was in complete freefall when Obama was inaugurated:

https://fortune.com/2019/11/01/trump...asdaq-economy/.
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 6:17 am
  #27787  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,004
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
It's really all irrelevant now though. The Democrats now have to prove that they can do even better in the next four years. Bread and butter issues being priority amongst most voters
If it's irrelevant, why do you keep comparing - inaccurately - the economy under Obama versus the economy under Trump?
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 6:58 am
  #27788  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,313
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
It's really all irrelevant now though. The Democrats now have to prove that they can do even better in the next four years. Bread and butter issues being priority amongst most voters
Ok, well, he WILL win, by any means necessary. It starts with tweeting outrageous lies about his opponents, which naturally gets parroted profusely by all media, since its so outrageously false and insulting. Then it's fuelling the troll machine, covering social media with the very same demonisation you subscribe to.

Elections are supposed to be about the direction of the country, not a football game where "winning" is the only motivation.

He'll win. Not matter what. It won't matter who his opponent is. By any means necessary.


Trump Is Going to Cheat

How should Democrats fight against a president who has no moral or legal compass?

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 24th 2020 at 7:26 am.
amideislas is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:33 am
  #27789  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 13,113
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
CN and CP are only freight now, no passenger.

Via Rail is the passenger train service, from Vancouver they only have 1 train, long haul called The Canadian, goes to Toronto, it doesn't run daily, I think its 3 days a week, or is it 2, somewhere around there and isn't exactly affordable, often cheaper to fly.
Via Rail have a pretty good service in the Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City corridor. Remarkably cheap too. We go on vacation to Montreal and to Toronto by train on occasion. There used to be free parking at our nearby railway stations, Brockville or Cornwall, but (very sensibly) they now charge. It’s nice to be able to get off the train and walk to a city centre hotel, instead of the rigmarole of arriving at an airport.
robin1234 is online now  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 9:09 am
  #27790  
BE Forum Addict
 
Ingles's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Alcobaça
Posts: 4,978
Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
His crime does not warrant the incredible vindictiveness that you spout off. Very immature and spiteful
Ingles is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 4:37 pm
  #27791  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: california
Posts: 6,035
dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Ok, well, he WILL win, by any means necessary. It starts with tweeting outrageous lies about his opponents, which naturally gets parroted profusely by all media, since its so outrageously false and insulting. Then it's fuelling the troll machine, covering social media with the very same demonisation you subscribe to.

Elections are supposed to be about the direction of the country, not a football game where "winning" is the only motivation.

He'll win. Not matter what. It won't matter who his opponent is. By any means necessary.

Trump Is Going to Cheat

How should Democrats fight against a president who has no moral or legal compass?
Yep! I see it all happening already. Squads of men in dark suits and wearing Ray Ban shades working their way through neighborhoods with check books in their hands.

"Who you voting for today ma'am?"
"Well at the moment I'm still undecided"
"I got a check for two hundred bucks right here if you vote for Donald"
"Oh well uh ! Yes okay. It will be useful to pay off the monthly cell phone bill"
"Okay. Hop in the car and we'll take you to the polling station but don't get any funny ideas about voting for that schmuck Sanders instead. A pretty dame like you don't need to get her arm broke in two places"

Joking aside the great majority of the nationally televised and printed media in this country are openly hostile to Trump so HTF could they be used to help him win?

Your remark on that subject tells me that from your distance you don't have much idea about what the real situation is





Last edited by dc koop; Feb 24th 2020 at 4:41 pm.
dc koop is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 4:57 pm
  #27792  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,004
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Yeah for cheap non-ACA plans that Trump has pushed to be allowed. They're going to work really well in the current situation:

"Hospital officials at Jackson told the Miami Herald that, based on his insurance, Azcue would only be responsible for $1,400 of that bill, but Azcue said he heard from his insurer that he would also have to provide additional documentation: three years of medical records to prove that the flu he got didn’t relate to a pre-existing condition."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/hea...240476806.html

It is exactly this kind of bullshit that the ACA was designed to fix.
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 5:18 pm
  #27793  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: East Seaxe
Posts: 66,859
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
The Latinos now refer to Sanders as Tio (uncle) Bernie. They think if he's elected it will be Navidad 365 days a year
What, all of them?


Actually, I quite like it. I might get one.

https://store.berniesanders.com/products/tio-bernie-tee
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 5:32 pm
  #27794  
I have a comma problem
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 49,596
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
What, all of them?


Actually, I quite like it. I might get one.

https://store.berniesanders.com/products/tio-bernie-tee
Bueno.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2020, 5:41 pm
  #27795  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: East Seaxe
Posts: 66,859
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Bueno.

Buenissimo.
Lion in Winter is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.