Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump.

President Trump.

Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
You haven't answered my question.

Try again.
My response to your post, very clearly illuminates the situation. If I have to actually spell out what was wrong with that pile-on . . .
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Explain why anyone's comments on prayer breakfasts (or anything else if it comes to that) are "prejudices" while your opinions are not? You are generally among the first to here to attack and attempt to ridicule those whose opinions are different from yours.

One might almost say you should look at the beam in your own eye before worrying about the mote in the eyes of others.
Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
My response to your post, very clearly illuminates the situation. If I have to actually spell out what was wrong with that pile-on . . .

No it doesn't. You re-assert what you believe on this question. Fine. But you haven't answered mine as to why your opinions are not prejudice but everyone else's are.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:24 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
It depends on what you define as an "evangelical."

Dr King was a preacher and the whole Civil Rights Movement had the churches as their power base.

"Christian Right" is a much better term, for what you are describing. They are far from the only ones who hold prayer breakfasts.
"Christian right". OK. "Evangelicals" is a term commonly referring to the bible-thumping right wing Republicans who seem quite content to consistently look the other way when violating basic church doctrine.

And that's the irony I was referring to. Religion is a convenient political tool. So much for "separation of church and state".
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
I've often wondered how American "evangelicals" could be so ideologically at odds with the comparatively liberal doctrines of both Catholic and Protestant church.
I'll just add a bit to what I wrote earlier -

Lumping all devout Christians into a single basket and giving them a political label is pretty crazy, as my response posts about the Dr King prayer breakfasts highlighted.

The James Dobson Christian Right people are in a league of their own, though their influence has been on a steady decline for about 10-12 years. They peaked around 2005, and perhaps even then their influence was a bit overstated. They were very in-tune with the George W Bush crew. You're always going to get fanatics of some sort anywhere, whether they are on the right or left, and anyways the Dobson crew certainly doesn't speak for Christianity as a whole. I think the 2016 Republican Primary illustrated how far they have fallen as a decisive voice.

Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
"Christian right". OK. "Evangelicals" is a term commonly referring to the bible-thumping right wing Republicans who seem quite content to consistently look the other way when violating basic church doctrine.

And that's the irony I was referring to. Religion is a convenient political tool. So much for "separation of church and state".
Sure it is. It's also now quite a big business.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Why does the USA have a Christian prayer breakfast/morning thing?
Because they're weird.

You never see any of them actually eating breakfast, either.

It's like a cult. But spelt with an 'n'.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Because they're weird.

It's like a cult. But spelt with an 'n'.
Guys just a shitcock. One they apparently like stroking.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Every time I see that photo though, my head melts just a little bit more. So many levels of ick.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
So here we have a Republican Senator whose district is made up of around 70 percent white with a substantial number of retired baby boomers and out of that group a percentage of 45-50 percent are Republican registered voters. Just supposing Trump got his cuts to Medicare through the Senate and Congress and our Republican Senator was one of those who voted for the cuts. What would he tell his bloc of senior voters when he runs for another term? Do you honestly think that those old folks who rely on Medicare and social security checks still vote another term for him. The 30 percent of the non white population in his district probably already vote Democrat. He's gone man ! Gone ! Finished ! Kaput ! Much as our GOP Senator supports Trump he's not going to lose his seat in the Senate for Trump. That's a no brainer
I presume you mean Representative, not Senator.

You could make the same argument about the Trump tax "cuts". They have actually increased taxes (mine by about 30%) for many Californians due to the limitation on deductibility of state and local taxes. And yet every Californian Representative towed the line and voted for those cuts. The result in the 2018 mid terms is that Representatives from California have become an endangered species.

Anyway, I find it odd that you would trust Trump on this when at the same time that he is doing everything he can to remove protections for those with pre-existing whilst claiming he is the one "saving" those protections. I have little doubt he'll try the same stunt with regards to Medicare/SS if he's re-elected.

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
And again I have to repeat that Trump is subject to checks and balances. Unless his cuts are approved both in the House and Senate they'll go nowhere. His powers are limited by the Constitution. I seriously doubt that the Republicans will win back Congress anywhere in the near future
I suspect your Medicare/SS was saved by the Democratic Party winning back control of the House in 2018. Some comments from Marco Rubio after the 2017 tax "cuts" passed:

https://www.newsweek.com/tax-plan-so...MjVxnWtsqrxUPM
Old Feb 12th 2020, 6:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Every time I see that photo though, my head melts just a little bit more. So many levels of ick.
I agree. If I’d been invited to that prayer breakfast, I’d have eaten the breakfast, but no way would I have stroked ****ing Trump.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The man shaping the Democratic contest? It’s Donald Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...t-donald-trump

Quite incisive for the Graun.

And why is it proving so hard for non-Sanders Democrats to unite behind an alternative? Because of that same worry about electability and, specifically, what Trump would do to any one of those candidates come the autumn. After the trauma of 2016, Democrats ascribe an almost magical power to Trump and his ability to define an opponent negatively in a way that strikes a deep chord in the American psyche. Among voters I met in New Hampshire, it became paralysing: each time they imagined a candidate up against Trump, they recoiled in fear at the beating the president would probably inflict.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 7:02 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I agree. If I’d been invited to that prayer breakfast, I’d have eaten the breakfast, but no way would I have stroked ****ing Trump.
What if you were to start chanting incantations to our dark lord Satan?
Old Feb 12th 2020, 7:05 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post

The man shaping the Democratic contest? It’s Donald Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...t-donald-trump

Quite incisive for the Graun.
​​​​
Hey, that sounds a bit like elections in Russia. Nobody dares to run against Putin (except those appointed by Putin). Pretty scary prospect.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

This is the kind of shit that we'll see from a post-impeachment Trump:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...2388eb96f159e9
Old Feb 12th 2020, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

People keep falling for the idea that you should vote in the primaries for someone that everyone else would vote for, rather than the one you like. This means you end up with lukewarm candidates like Hillary. Then Trump proved that a candidate can win based on personality even if he pisses off a good portion of the middle ground. But still, people keep putting forward this dumb idea that was just proven wrong as if it will help the Democrats win next time against the same guy who it floundered against last time. Idiots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.