Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It sounds like you are suggesting that she may be giving the impression she means death camps.

But included in the article you linked to is her statement that "For the shrieking Republicans who don't know the difference: concentration camps are not the same as death camps," she tweeted Tuesday. "Concentration camps are considered by experts as 'the mass detention of civilians without trial.' And that's exactly what this administration is doing."

Isn't that clear enough to remove your doubt?
I quite know what she is alluding to as I am sure you do. I also know that certainly talking the WW2 reference that she alludes to that the majority of Concentration Camps were not death camps, well deliberately. Now one major difference is that I do not recollect people voluntarily wanting to go to Concentration Camps, travelling in some cases over several Continents to do so.

Words meaning changes and I do see a common theme from many sides to do that for good or for bad, it is an interesting tactic.

Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I quite know what she is alluding to as I am sure you do. I also know that certainly talking the WW2 reference that she alludes to that the majority of Concentration Camps were not death camps, well deliberately.
It sounds to me like she is alluding to a camp where people are concentrated (according to the aforementioned non WW2 references) hence the reference to it not being the same as a WW2 referenced death camp.

Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds to me like she is alluding to a camp where people are concentrated (according to the aforementioned non WW2 references) hence the reference to it not being the same as a WW2 referenced death camp.
Let us have a little competition, let us see how many Americans we can find who have a clue about the Boer War, know what Continent it was fought on, what country, when etc.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Let us have a little competition, let us see how many Americans we can find who have a clue about the Boer War, know what Continent it was fought on, what country, when etc.
Maybe they know of the ones in America
List of concentration and internment camps in USA

Including
In May of 2018, under the direction of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, US officials began forcibly separating children and parents arriving at the US border. This included those seeking asylum from violence in their home countries. Under this policy, nearly 2000 children were taken from their parents and placed in "detention centers." [198] These centers, have been described by those in opposition to the policy as "concentration camps" [199]. Some historians also acknowledge that they can be fairly designated this way [200]. The centers had previously been cited by Texas officials for more than 150 health violations. [201]
Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:55 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I quite know what she is alluding to as I am sure you do. I also know that certainly talking the WW2 reference that she alludes to that the majority of Concentration Camps were not death camps, well deliberately. Now one major difference is that I do not recollect people voluntarily wanting to go to Concentration Camps, travelling in some cases over several Continents to do so.

Words meaning changes and I do see a common theme from many sides to do that for good or for bad, it is an interesting tactic.
Fred Korematsu, a fighter against Japanese internment, described the Japanese camps in the USA as concentrations camps.I also think Jewish refugees were pretty keen on getting to similar camps established on the Isle of Man at the time of WW2. Though there is a similar revisionism, of opposition to describing Japanese internment camps as concentration camps. Maybe we are seeing democracy in language in action. Where the majority with limited knowledge gets to define the word. We are perhaps truly entering the era of worship of ignorance.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:17 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I went off to Google this issue, it appears that President Franklin Roosevelt and Harold Ickes, his Secretary of the Interior, both called the Japanese camps, concentration camps. Some commentators have objected over the years to the euphemism of internment camps.

We gave the fancy name of 'relocation centers' to these dust bowls, but they were concentration camps nonetheless."
—Harold Ickes, Secretary of the Interior, Washington Evening Star, September 23, 1946

I enjoy these faux outrages, as they do get you to remember, and then find out new information, the outraged, tend to just stay outraged.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 19th 2019 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
A new thread has been opened re Trump and the 2020 campaign. Please post comments on this subject in the new thread.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/take...ection-925866/
I already set up a '2020 Election' thread but there is so much fascination/obsession with Trump alone that I have given up trying to steer people to it for now!

https://britishexpats.com/forum/trai...ection-919243/

Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:42 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I already set up a '2020 Election' thread
Perhaps November last year was a bit early.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 19th 2019 at 5:53 pm. Reason: too many lasts
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps last November last year was a bit early.
Well, I don't think 'thread creation date' has any bearing on sort / visibility, does it? (This is a genuine question ... a rare thing, I know ... )
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps last November last year was a bit early.
I think she wants all posts regarding Trump and the election to go in the new thread, all posts about Trump exclusively with no mention of the election to go in the Trump thread, and those posts about the 2020 election without mention of Trump to go in the 2020 election thread in Trailer Park.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I went off to Google this issue, it appears that President Franklin Roosevelt and Harold Ickes, his Secretary of the Interior, both called the Japanese camps, concentration camps.....I enjoy these faux outrages, as they do get you to remember, and then find out new information, the outraged, tend to just stay outraged.
From one of google's links in the part I quoted, it seems there were articles in the media from several days ago, drawing details from a book from two years ago about this, with clear reference to these very camps that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez spoke about.

It would seem that what she has done is to use these already out there media references.

Perhaps Boiler should apologise for what he was alluding to.

Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I think she wants all posts regarding Trump and the election to go in the new thread, all posts about Trump exclusively with no mention of the election to go in the Trump thread, and those posts about the 2020 election without mention of Trump to go in the 2020 election thread in Trailer Park.
The explanation is more confusing than needed
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Boiler should apologise for what he was alluding to.
Don't feed the trolls.

Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Talking about 2020 election WITHOUT mentioning Trump ... now, that would be nice
Old Jun 19th 2019, 6:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Well, I don't think 'thread creation date' has any bearing on sort / visibility, does it? (This is a genuine question ... a rare thing, I know ... )
When I saw the report about Trump kicking off his bid I looked to see if there was a thread started or even a mention on this one. There wasn't. Well, not in this section

Your thread is in the trailer park so I didn't see it. I don't usually go there.

(Mine is a better title too )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.