Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Jun 7th 2019, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Just as the last election was for the Democrats to lose.
We spoke to more than a few on our visits to the US at the time who held to the " anyone but Hilary " view.
There were plenty of those, for sure. But in my mind, any reasonable person would see Trump as an order of magnitude worse than Hilary so vote for her while holding their nose, so to speak. So if Hillary can trigger such a reaction, I wouldn't put it past other candidates to have that effect.
(please, Boiler, don't bother to post a reply).
Old Jun 7th 2019, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Not so. But since he interferes in UK politics AND tweets about how lousy crime and everything else he doesn't like is, we Brit-Europeans return the compliment.
Oh, I don't blame you one bit for posting ... it's just makes this thread less useful for a discussion on the 2020 election. Not your fault - I created the 2020 election thread for that reason, but this thread - sadly, like Trump himself - is like an accident on the freeway ... no one can resist taking a look!
Old Jun 7th 2019, 1:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

the 'European' contingent who hate Trump in general, but don't really understand the intricacies and strategies associated with winning the presidential election here.
One doesn't need to understand the intricacies to be mystified by a system that can elect such a twat to the presidency. To elect him despite all that was known and for him to remain in office despite all that's become known since must mean there is something wrong with the system or the people.

(Here's where some idiot says "something wrong with the people because they have a different opinion?" )

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
You can twist that figure all you want. There's obviously never a day when he doesn't have a meeting of some kind - even if it's only his PDB. Does that make it a working day?
Some people count all kinds of things as work. I remember a Panorama or World In Action whatever it was about a businessman claiming to work XX hours a week. He was including time spent at the family breakfast table while he scanned some document, making a phone call while being driven to work,
listening to a presentation made by someone (who was actually working )

Now this is not to say that these are not genuine work things but there was an implication that only he or other business people did this stuff and nobody else did.

But it's no different to being any kind of worker reading some work related document on the bus on the way to work; the self employed plumber spending a Saturday morning advertising his services; a couple of mates in the pub of an evening and one seeking advice or ideas from the other that may help them resolve an expected situation at work; or when you have a letter or written submission to make and you work it out in your head, perhaps make notes of ideas and it might be the middle of the night or you could be in the checkout queue at the supermarket or actually devoting an hour to it in your own time at home.

We all do stuff like this but it seems it's only the fat cat businessman (or Trump who probably considers his tweets as work) who attempts to justify his half a million a year plus bonuses that goes on about it.

Rant over.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
One doesn't need to understand the intricacies to be mystified by a system that can elect such a twat to the presidency. To elect him despite all that was known and for him to remain in office despite all that's become known since must mean there is something wrong with the system or the people.

(Here's where some idiot says "something wrong with the people because they have a different opinion?" )
I'm hopeful (though not very ...) that the US election of Trump and the UK vote for Brexit are both anomalies that won't be repeated. I like to think that the US electing Barack Obama - a black man with a middle name of "Hussien", FFS - was more the trend in the US. Time will surely tell ...

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Some people count all kinds of things as work. I remember a Panorama or World In Action whatever it was about a businessman claiming to work XX hours a week. He was including time spent at the family breakfast table while he scanned some document, making a phone call while being driven to work,
listening to a presentation made by someone (who was actually working )

Now this is not to say that these are not genuine work things but there was an implication that only he or other business people did this stuff and nobody else did.

But it's no different to being any kind of worker reading some work related document on the bus on the way to work; the self employed plumber spending a Saturday morning advertising his services; a couple of mates in the pub of an evening and one seeking advice or ideas from the other that may help them resolve an expected situation at work; or when you have a letter or written submission to make and you work it out in your head, perhaps make notes of ideas and it might be the middle of the night or you could be in the checkout queue at the supermarket or actually devoting an hour to it in your own time at home.

We all do stuff like this but it seems it's only the fat cat businessman (or Trump who probably considers his tweets as work) who attempts to justify his half a million a year plus bonuses that goes on about it.

Rant over.
Since we all dislike Trump, surely the less he works, the less damage he can do so we should celebrate his lack of 'hours on the job? This was the prevailing emotion back in the days of Reagan; it was widely known that Reagan was quite literally 'asleep on the job', and those of us who didn't appreciate Reagan thought it wasn't such a bad thing!
Old Jun 7th 2019, 1:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I'm hopeful (though not very ...) that the US election of Trump and the UK vote for Brexit are both anomalies that won't be repeated. I like to think that the US electing Barack Obama - a black man with a middle name of "Hussien", FFS - was more the trend in the US. Time will surely tell ...
Actually, when you put it like that maybe this was just a reaction that only happens once.

Old Jun 7th 2019, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Are Presidents not allowed holidays?
Trump made a very big deal of pointing out that Obama was taking too many vacation breaks or golfing trips, and as president Trump promised he would focus on working and not vacationing or taking breaks. Instead the facts show that he has taken more golfing and vacation breaks in three years than Obama or Bush took in eight years. And keep in mind that he and many in the administration are wasting 100s of millions of dollars of the tax payers money taking huge groups of people that include extended family members and friends on many of these trips. And what is extremely concerning is the fact that a lot of that money is being spent at Trump's own properties and that money goes right back into trump's pocket. To spend tax payer money to book rooms and other expenses at Trump properties is the worse kind of self enrichment any president has conducted in recent history.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 1:55 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
You can twist that figure all you want. There's obviously never a day when he doesn't have a meeting of some kind - even if it's only his PDB. Does that make it a working day?
Does it not make it a working day - you know, if he's doing work?
Old Jun 7th 2019, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
There is a thread on "2020 election" that is dedicated to this topic, but I realize at this point "its all about Trump' and it's hard not to argue it here. The problem with this thread is that it is also the chosen thread for all the 'European' contingent who hate Trump in general, but don't really understand the intricacies and strategies associated with winning the presidential election here. As you say, the presidential election will come down to just a few 'swing' states. I spend time in AZ and watch it very closely (and I'm registered to vote there). Trump is definitely losing some ground there, and the victory of Kyrsten Sinema in the mid-term Senate race there was hopeful. I would say, the 2020 election is for the Democrats to lose. But as (I think) Leslie explained it best, the Democrats have a great knack for clutching defeat from the hands of victory. As I've said many times, the issue of 'Universal Healthcare' could be spun very negatively by the Republicans and scare away potential crossover votes. Bernie is a huge turn-off for many. Biden is a 'jolly old man' and may just be the right guy to catch the middle, but I'm not convinced. I'm personally hopeful that Kamala Harris will be 'the one' and she could really motivate and inspire, but we are a long way from any decision in that regard. My 'nightmare scenario' is that Bernie gets the nomination and then alienates too many swing voters.

I keep waiting for the economy to nose-dive due to Trump's tariffs but it hasn't happened yet. The unemployment figures are very good for Trump right now. When all else is said and done, "It's the economy, stupid" in the US.
This is going to be a very different election compared to 2016. We will not see large percentages of the democrat party sitting out this election because they believe the republican nominee is no worse than the Democrat nominee as with Hillary. Nor will there be a sizable number of voters willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt because he is new to the scene. This is going to be a hand to hand and state by state fight for voter support and I do believe there will be a few twist and turns till the nominating finish line. And would not be surprised if a Kamala Harris is left standing as the nominee. She has the full package to beat Trump just like Biden.

I truly feel Arizona and Florida in 2020 are ripe for Democrats to take. Trump is seriously disliked by many of the loyal conservatives in Arizona that love John McCain. John is a folk hero in Arizona.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jun 7th 2019 at 2:07 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 2:27 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Are Presidents not allowed holidays?
"I won't have time to play golf"
Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Does it not make it a working day - you know, if he's doing work?
It depends whether or not you consider Tweeting to be "work."
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:58 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
It depends whether or not you consider Tweeting to be "work."
I read that as twerking, now I have to wash my brain with acid.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:31 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I read that as twerking, now I have to wash my brain with acid.
Oh god, what have you done?
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:52 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
She should have had Prince Philip offer him a lift back to the airport.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
She should have had Prince Philip offer him a lift back to the airport.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.