Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:16 pm
  #1621  
So long...
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,971
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by mfesharne View Post
Certainly any really effective change could only be achieved if those firearm owning citizenry were willing to accept any changes.
Actually, owners of legally-held firearms aren't the ones any changes in the law should target IMO. Possession of an unregistered weapon or ammunition without a licence should be a minimum of 10 years jail without parole for each count
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:23 pm
  #1622  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by mfesharne View Post
Which brings us to other influences such as violent movies, computer games, lack of education, discipline & respect for others etc....... and again, quite how one addresses those issues, I have no idea!

P'raps a return to national service would be a start but can you imagine the reaction that one would get?
Having lived through an environment of national service (and you have too?), I witnessed a lot of screwed up people clearing out, so I'm not sure it really had much benefit to society. The re-establishment of traditional family values would be more beneficial. Things like re-introducing married couples allowances, providing tax breaks and concessions to those who look after elderly relatives/take time off to raise their families. Those kinds of things. Rewards and increased recognition for charitable works. Less of the "me" culture and more of the "us"....
paulry is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:28 pm
  #1623  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: central Portugal
Posts: 4,111
mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
The games and movies thing is bollocks. People have minds of their own, and we were kicking the shit out of each other thousands of years before the inventions of cinema and the computer.



That's shite too. Being forced to provide service for a country that doesn't give a shit about you borders on fascism.
Para 1) Certainly something has changed...... If you wind the clock back a few decades the US still had shed loads of firearms & it was commonplace for youngsters to be given rifles etc as presents but then they behaved responsibly (or at least usually). Now, every bugger wants to kill each other for no apparent/better reason than they live on the next block etc?

Para 2) Was a joke hence the little laughing chappy.

But that said, a bit of discipline wouldn't do many of the younger generation any harm.
mfesharne is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:32 pm
  #1624  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: central Portugal
Posts: 4,111
mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Having lived through an environment of national service (and you have too?), I witnessed a lot of screwed up people clearing out, so I'm not sure it really had much benefit to society. The re-establishment of traditional family values would be more beneficial. Things like re-introducing married couples allowances, providing tax breaks and concessions to those who look after elderly relatives/take time off to raise their families. Those kinds of things. Rewards and increased recognition for charitable works. Less of the "me" culture and more of the "us"....
To say nothing of doing away with the PC attitude of letting the 'little darlings' get away with whatever they like & instead introduce a bit of the good old 'five point plan' for misbehaviour.
mfesharne is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:37 pm
  #1625  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: central Portugal
Posts: 4,111
mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Actually, owners of legally-held firearms aren't the ones any changes in the law should target IMO. Possession of an unregistered weapon or ammunition without a licence should be a minimum of 10 years jail without parole for each count
There is no central registry & with the exception of felons (in most States) all are legally held because there is no licencing requirement due to the 2nd etc....... And any change to that would be viewed as an infringement to the 2nd.

And I've no idea how you get over that Catch 22 situation.
mfesharne is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:38 pm
  #1626  
Doin' It Right
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 48,017
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by mfesharne View Post
Para 1) Certainly something has changed...... If you wind the clock back a few decades the US still had shed loads of firearms & it was commonplace for youngsters to be given rifles etc as presents but then they behaved responsibly (or at least usually). Now, every bugger wants to kill each other for no apparent/better reason than they live on the next block etc?

Para 2) Was a joke hence the little laughing chappy.

But that said, a bit of discipline wouldn't do many of the younger generation any harm.
It is problems like poverty, lack of housing, and the fact that you can be forced into bankruptcy just because you got sick that contribute to the increase in violence in the US. Also add in the fact that the 'war on drugs' has been well and truly lost, that seemingly nothing is being done about gangs and you get a perfect cocktail.

A violent society doesn't come from action movies and GTA - it's the other way around.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:53 pm
  #1627  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: central Portugal
Posts: 4,111
mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
It is problems like poverty, lack of housing, and the fact that you can be forced into bankruptcy just because you got sick that contribute to the increase in violence in the US. Also add in the fact that the 'war on drugs' has been well and truly lost, that seemingly nothing is being done about gangs and you get a perfect cocktail.

A violent society doesn't come from action movies and GTA - it's the other way around.
Changing pretty much every aspect of society ain't gonna be easy!

Makes you wonder what ML King would be thinking of modern day US society!
mfesharne is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:16 pm
  #1628  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,139
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by mfesharne View Post
Changing pretty much every aspect of society ain't gonna be easy!

Makes you wonder what ML King would be thinking of modern day US society!
Well, aside from racism (which exists everywhere - humans are instinctively tribal) there is no other place on earth where a minority can excel like the US.

I'm sure you'll disagree, but just for perspective, Google "prominent Africans in Europe", or " prominent minorities in Europe ". Then do the same replacing " Europe" with "America". The results are astronomically different.

Try it. It's an eye opener.
amideislas is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:18 pm
  #1629  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by mfesharne View Post
Changing pretty much every aspect of society ain't gonna be easy!

Makes you wonder what ML King would be thinking of modern day US society!
Only an total idiot would want a return to that he gave his life for.


I cannot wait for the Trump, Clinton live debate.
No teleprompter, no support staff rushing in to pull Trumps foot out of his mouth.
All Hilary has to do is to keep her cool and let Trump implode.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:42 pm
  #1630  
L/R
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,497
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
.... I cannot wait for the Trump, Clinton live debate.
No teleprompter, no support staff rushing in to pull Trumps foot out of his mouth.
All Hilary has to do is to keep her cool and let Trump implode.
You and your like have been waiting for Trump to implode for the past 15 months. At this point Trump is tied in the national opinion polls and several battleground states, and reportedly ahead in Ohio.

Other than naive optimism unsupported by facts, or a complete lack of understanding of the US electorate, why would you assume Trump will implode now?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 19th 2016 at 6:57 pm.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:45 pm
  #1631  
Doin' It Right
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 48,017
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by mfesharne View Post
Changing pretty much every aspect of society ain't gonna be easy!

Makes you wonder what ML King would be thinking of modern day US society!
He'd be wondering what he wasted his time on, since nothing has really changed. The only thing is, most people are a bit quieter about their racism than they used to be in the 1960s.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:54 pm
  #1632  
BE Forum Addict
 
Ingles's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Alcobaça
Posts: 4,978
Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Only an total idiot would want a return to that he gave his life for.


I cannot wait for the Trump, Clinton live debate.
No teleprompter, no support staff rushing in to pull Trumps foot out of his mouth.
All Hilary has to do is to keep her cool and let Trump implode.
Lester Holt NBC News is the Moderator for this 1st debate, basically he has a job on , If Dumpt starts to get stroppy & obnoxious he has to stop him, & I bet if he doe's the headlines from the GOP press the following day will be.
"Presidential Debate Fixed - Moderator Unfair to Dumpt"
Ingles is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:13 pm
  #1633  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,139
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
You and your like have been waiting for Trump to implode for the past 15 months. At this point Trump is tied in the national opinion polls and several battleground states, and reportedly ahead in Ohio.

Other than naive optimism unsupported by facts, or a complete lack of understanding of the US electorate, why would you assume Trump will implode now?
Trump is nothing less than a series of implosions. But his supporters don't care about that. They don't care about his steady stream of lies, or ignorant proclamations. They don't care about truth.

The important thing is to defeat Clinton. At any price. Because, well, we hate her for all the things Trump says about her.
amideislas is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:27 pm
  #1634  
L/R
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,497
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Trump is nothing less than a series of implosions. But his supporters don't care about that. They don't care about his steady stream of lies, or ignorant proclamations. They don't care about truth.

The important thing is to defeat Clinton. At any price. Because, well, we hate her for all the things Trump says about her.
Shouldn't you have included the word "deplorables" somewhere in your post?
Pulaski is online now  
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:56 pm
  #1635  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
You and your like have been waiting for Trump to implode for the past 15 months. At this point Trump is tied in the national opinion polls and several battleground states, and reportedly ahead in Ohio.

Other than naive optimism unsupported by facts, or a complete lack of understanding of the US electorate, why would you assume Trump will implode now?

Simply because he will be facing an educated audience and be asked questions not put to him by cronies.
Quedtions that Hilary will be able to answer in detailed and informed way, the economy and foreign affairs just two examples.
.
EMR is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.