Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Biden

President Biden

Old Dec 2nd 2021, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Biden

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Because he removed a policy without dealing with the consequences. If he had addressed the consequences there would have been no case
No, it merely moved the problem to Mexico with it seems far worse consequences for asylum seekers.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 10:15 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Random thought, but where has this habit come from of referring to female politicians by their first names?

Should we be talking about Joe, and Donald, and Mitch and so forth?
I guess it depends on how unique the name is. Joe and Donald could be any of the old farts in Congress. I imagine there's several Harris' in there too. I've heard McConnell be called Mitch a lot (often followed by 'The Bitch') and Nancy Pelosi called Pelosi. Maybe women's first names or more unique in Congress because there's so few of them? Or maybe people are sexist.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is only one Kamala.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/polit...-vp/index.html

Worn out by what they see as entrenched dysfunction and lack of focus, key West Wing aides have largely thrown up their hands at Vice President Kamala Harris and her staff -- deciding there simply isn't time to deal with them right now, especially at a moment when President Joe Biden faces quickly multiplying legislative and political concerns.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:46 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Random thought, but where has this habit come from of referring to female politicians by their first names?

Should we be talking about Joe, and Donald, and Mitch and so forth?
It is definitely a thing in America and it pisses me off. My Congress Critter is Elise Stefanik and in an election, her lawn signs and all other advertising just say “Elise.” I think it’s an especially strong trend with the GOP bimbo contingent who often win their primaries because of a realistic perception that old, white republican voters like to slaver over their gun-toting pin-up girls.

Anyway I always make sure to refer to her as Stefanik, not Elise.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I had thought about that and decided better here because it was due to Biden inaction it has happened. The issue left and the inevitable consequence occurred.
Could it well be that Biden was very well aware of the consequences : He stated he didn't want migrants/asylum seekers languishing on the Mexican side, and equally ( for whatever reason) was/is comfortable with a more open border. How could anyone with his much vaunted "experience" ( I am unaware any executive managerial experience in a large organization he has had, just an almost lifelong politician) not be aware of the possible/probable consequences? Shouldn't he be credited to a degree with sticking to his principles ?

The issue that seems quite incomprehensible if news reports accurate, is covid-related restrictions/policies that apply to residents, or international travellers nor applied to all those coming across Southern border.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 2:03 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
No, it merely moved the problem to Mexico with it seems far worse consequences for asylum seekers.
If a person has left another country due to persecution or oppression and reached Mexico but they want to continue on to the US, are they truly "asylum seekers" or simply someone who desires to live and work in the US? I think this is a very important distinction and one that is glossed over too frequently. After all, about half of those arrested on the southern border of the US are not from Mexico. I'll ignore the idea that Mexico is a fairly stable and fairly wealthy country (Mexico ranks exactly average on the OECD Better Life index) and Mexicans claiming "asylum" or "refugee status" from Mexico is potentially specious as well.

For example: I read an article recently in the Times with an interview from a man originally from Haiti. He had spent several years in South America and Mexico, was arrested in Texas and deported back to Haiti after coming across the border illegally. He complained that this was "unfair" and "inhumane" as he saw himself as a refugee. To me, if you're originally from Haiti but have been out of that country for years I think it's pretty hard to argue that you're a Haitian refugee. To me, this man simply preferred to live in the US. That's not a very compelling argument for asylum, again in my opinion. This is not an uncommon situation.

Again, I'm not arguing for or against immigration in general, I'm trying to draw a distinction between "refugees" or "asylum seekers" and those who simply desire to live in the US.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Could it well be that Biden was very well aware of the consequences : He stated he didn't want migrants/asylum seekers languishing on the Mexican side, and equally ( for whatever reason) was/is comfortable with a more open border. How could anyone with his much vaunted "experience" ( I am unaware any executive managerial experience in a large organization he has had, just an almost lifelong politician) not be aware of the possible/probable consequences? Shouldn't he be credited to a degree with sticking to his principles ?

The issue that seems quite incomprehensible if news reports accurate, is covid-related restrictions/policies that apply to residents, or international travelers nor applied to all those coming across Southern border.
I am not sure what the principles could be, the whole situation seems totally random.

Haitians are of course a small percentage of those at the southern border, some let in some deported without being able to apply for asylum, which seems a clear breach of UN Conventions. It seems most fled 10 years ago to S America and then change of policies, economic conditions persuaded them to continue their journey. And then Biden deported them to Haiti. All very weird.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post

Again, I'm not arguing for or against immigration in general, I'm trying to draw a distinction between "refugees" or "asylum seekers" and those who simply desire to live in the US.
Refugee : Someone who has registered with the UNHCR and is living in a camp hoping that there name will be picked and given a new life in a country that picks them.
Asylum Seeker : Someone who doesn't register with the UNHCR or live in a camp and finds the ability to travel across multiple countries eventually to the one of their choosing and hoping that they will believe their story and grant them asylum/protection.
Simply desire to live in the US : Those who have spent a week at one of the Disney resorts and then ask and apply to live in the US.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what the principles could be, the whole situation seems totally random.

Haitians are of course a small percentage of those at the southern border, some let in some deported without being able to apply for asylum, which seems a clear breach of UN Conventions. It seems most fled 10 years ago to S America and then change of policies, economic conditions persuaded them to continue their journey. And then Biden deported them to Haiti. All very weird.
Biden said before the election he would stop the stay in Mexico policy because of the treatments of those handled under that policy, so that was his principle- the consequences clearly were not a priority. The rest of his policy resulting in the virtual open border the consequences were not hard to predict or see over the last few months- simply the consequences clearly not an issue for him as opposed to creating a different image for himself, or he actual believes in an economy struggling with low real wages the past twenty years it is somehow beneficial to bring in more lower skilled workers.

The idea he was unaware the probable consequences or considered them a priority simply seems illogical, if he were concerned he has had ample time to change policy , or let the wall keep being constructed.

The Haitian situation either one consider whether they were truly refugees is one question; the other is simply so many concentrated in one place in such a visible manner considered a potential image disaster.

Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

I remember reading that the French Government was talking about a safe and legal route to claim asylum and there are certainly voices in the UK wanting the same thing.

US, well the Remain in Mexico policy just slows things down, how much it slows things depends on what systems are brought in to speed up the process.

If the safe and legal route was brought in there would be no need for the UNHCR Refugee programme. People could just go the asylum route.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Biden and Putin are due to have a conversation on Tuesday regarding the Ukraine. Sorry but I can’t help but think verbally, Putin will tie Biden up in a thousand knots.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

The military build up in Ukraine?

Now Biden may not be familiar maskirovka but I am pretty sure his Military Advisors would be.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The military build up in Ukraine?

Now Biden may not be familiar maskirovka but I am pretty sure his Military Advisors would be.

Yes and I agree. It’s the thought of Biden and Putin in verbal conversation that I find fascinating. Biden can barely string 2 words together unless the Q & As are written down for him to read, even then he is errr…robotic.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 12:55 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Yes and I agree. It’s the thought of Biden and Putin in verbal conversation that I find fascinating. Biden can barely string 2 words together unless the Q & As are written down for him to read, even then he is errr…robotic.
Do you have evidence of that? Other than the edited Youtube videos and claims made by the likes of Faux News?

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Dec 5th 2021 at 1:11 am.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 1:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Do youhave evidence of that? Other than the edited Youtube videos and claims made by the likes of Faux News?
I don’t watch or read Fox News, or look at YouTube vids. 2 words may be an exaggeration…but Biden only takes pre approved questions and answers from the press. Do you think he is a match for a verbal spar with Putin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.