Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Biden

President Biden

Old Apr 7th 2021, 8:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Biden

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
In other words, people who are anti wall for emotional reasons find all the faults they want with the wall, relying on conjecture, speculation and opinion and passing it off as facts. All you really need to do is to look at the source, the NYTimes, to know exactly what the article will be about. Reading the article itself is irrelevant.

No matter how one spins it, there is a major crisis on the American border ever since Biden became president, with attempted crossings exploding in numbers compared to the Trump administration, when it fell sharply. That is an irrefutable fact. https://www.npr.org/2021/04/02/98393...order-in-march

More than 170,000 migrants taken into custody in March alone. And it's from NPR, which is hardly a right wing source. Even the American liberal presses can't deny there's a problem and the problem emerged after Biden took office.

If Biden doesn't get it under control, it may very well sink his administration. He was elected because not because of any particular policies or manifesto, but because he was not Donald Trump and he promised a more competent administration. But if the administration does not prove itself to be competent, voters are going to notice that Trump, for all his blusters, actually delivered meaningful results in slowing down the tide of migrants across the southern borders.

Frankly, it's difficult to see how Biden can be an effective president based on the behaviour of his administration and the Democratic party in the last few months. They have not done anything to unify Americans, all their policies and language are extremely divisive, deliberately rejecting the Republican half of the country, refusing any notion of compromise or consensus, and even openly casting any differing opinions as evil and wrongful (see the hysteria over the Georgia voting law reforms). The Democratic leadership in congress behave as if they have a massive majority instead of a virtual tie. 2022 could very well (going by historical trends) see major Republican gains, and that probably is why the Democrats are going on a partisan overdrive to try to get as many 'reforms' as possible in the next two years, but the scorched earth behaviours also makes it more likely the Republican majority in 2022 will only be even bigger. And that is not even factoring in the cancel culture wars enveloping all of America in a bonfire of vanities and arrogance and hatred.
So do you want him to fix the ****ing wall or not?
Old Apr 7th 2021, 8:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh look! Instead of lying about Mexico paying for the wall (they didn't FYI) Biden can just have Steve Bannon pay for it! That is, of course, if he didn't already spend all of the stolen money on pies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ed4_story.html
Old Apr 7th 2021, 8:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Oh look! Instead of lying about Mexico paying for the wall (they didn't FYI) Biden can just have Steve Bannon pay for it! That is, of course, if he didn't already spend all of the stolen money on pies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ed4_story.html

Wire fraud and money laundering.

Non-trivial.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

It's from 2018, short read about the fence that went up in 1918.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ago-180969343/

I don't know of the fence along the US/Mexico border in San Diego region stopped anyone determined to cross it from crossing, it did push people east into the hot unforgiving deserts where they would cross instead, drug traffickers have been known to dig under the wall in places, it's also ugly as hell. (I guess the new wall they put up to replace the old rusted out one looks better, but eh still ugly as far as I am concerned.)

This photo shows the old wall.

Old Apr 7th 2021, 9:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
It's from 2018, short read about the fence that went up in 1918.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ago-180969343/

I don't know of the fence along the US/Mexico border in San Diego region stopped anyone determined to cross it from crossing, it did push people east into the hot unforgiving deserts where they would cross instead, drug traffickers have been known to dig under the wall in places, it's also ugly as hell. (I guess the new wall they put up to replace the old rusted out one looks better, but eh still ugly as far as I am concerned.)

This photo shows the old wall.
Yup this post is a good perspective. There’ve always been walls/fences in selected areas. And, Trump’s plan never aspired to build a wall along the entire border - it’d be a logistical impossibility, unless staged over several decades.

Trump managed to build odd, useless sections - one section featured in that NYT article ls a quarter of a mile in length. Meanwhile, his contractors built hundreds of miles of access roads, making it easier for criminals and smuggling gangs etc to access previously remote areas.

I think everyone knows that Trump was an ineffectual idiot, it’s just that a proportion of the US population don’t want to face up to the fact.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Really, the only way to mitigate this problem is for Central America to be developed so that people don't want to head north in these numbers. This is a longstanding issue dating back to the time when the US started exploiting the area, followed by CIA/military interventions to maintain said exploitation and the almost inevitable civil wars that accompanied this. The history of Guatemala in the last 70+ years is just downright horrible. If I were a resident, I'd certainly do what I could to get to the USA. Ditto El Salvador. Ditto Honduras.

So instead of spending billions on largely pointless gestures like this wall, working out how to effectively spend money to develop Central America should be the priority. I just don't see the political will to do it.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 7th 2021 at 10:41 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Wire fraud and money laundering.

Non-trivial.
For which he was pardoned on Trump's last day in office. Will be interesting to see how the case against his co-defendants goes and whether there will be civil suits against Bannon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-not-off-hook/
Old Apr 7th 2021, 11:03 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Really, the only way to mitigate this problem is for Central America to be developed so that people don't want to head north in these numbers. This is a longstanding issue dating back to the time when the US started exploiting the area, followed by CIA/military interventions to maintain said exploitation and the almost inevitable civil wars that accompanied this. The history of Guatemala in the last 70+ years is just downright horrible. If I were a resident, I'd certainly do what I could to get to the USA. Ditto El Salvador. Ditto Honduras.

So instead of spending billions on largely pointless gestures like this wall, working out how to effectively spend money to develop Central America should be the priority. I just don't see the political will to do it.
I agree, it makes perfect sense, which is why a certain US political party would never do anything that could support this. Their donors make way too much money from the status quo.

Not wanting to drag this off-topic, bu the EU model of helping it's poorer member countries and poorer regions within them improve their infrastructure and economy has helped those countries level up...

Certainly helping improve central American countries in the same way benefits for the US, as you suggest.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I agree, it makes perfect sense, which is why a certain US political party would never do anything that could support this. Their donors make way too much money from the status quo.

Not wanting to drag this off-topic, bu the EU model of helping it's poorer member countries and poorer regions within them improve their infrastructure and economy has helped those countries level up...

Certainly helping improve central American countries in the same way benefits for the US, as you suggest.
I was on the point of mentioning the EU model in my post, particularly its infrastructure funds. There are similarities between communist-era Eastern Europe and Central America now, but there are also glaring differences. The latter is a much tougher nut to crack politically and in terms of institutions that are needed to build successful economic environments. Honestly, it's really difficult to be hopeful about that part of the world, but I guess Costa Rica is an example of a country there that has managed to be relatively successful. And which doesn't see large numbers of people trying to flee.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 9:16 am
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I was on the point of mentioning the EU model in my post, particularly its infrastructure funds. There are similarities between communist-era Eastern Europe and Central America now, but there are also glaring differences. The latter is a much tougher nut to crack politically and in terms of institutions that are needed to build successful economic environments. Honestly, it's really difficult to be hopeful about that part of the world, but I guess Costa Rica is an example of a country there that has managed to be relatively successful. And which doesn't see large numbers of people trying to flee.
Costa Rica had a relatively good tourism economy to help it. People stay if there are jobs and a half-decent government.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Darien Gap: The 'forgotten' migrant crisis at Panama-Colombia border

More and more migrants are trying to reach the US - but where does their journey begin?

Hundreds of people from all over South America, but some as far away as Africa, are arriving in increasing numbers on the border between Colombia and Panama.

This is where they start the long, arduous journey to the US.

It takes up to 20 days, and can be deadly – but hundreds of people embark on it every day.

They feel that the risk is worth it, if it means they might reach the US and start a new life.

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-la...erica-56544700
Old Apr 8th 2021, 3:25 pm
WTF?

Oh but it's all just a fake crisis so they can come to the US and scrounge benefits (for which they are mostly not eligible and do not get) .... nothing to see here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/w...-fernando.html
Old Apr 11th 2021, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely agree that the solution to the problem is improved living conditions, opportunities and safety that would go a long way towards encouraging many of those who now leave, to stay instead. But it would take decades I suspect. However, having lived in Peru for 6 years and spending time in Chile and Brazil, I am painfully aware of the vast level of corruption in every part of government and private corporate enterprise. I suspect most of any aid provided would end up in the bank accounts of corrupt politicians and businessmen while a far lesser amount might make for some, but not enough, improvement.

This is the Peruvian example. "Vrtually all presidents in recent history — with the noted exception of an 8-month caretaker — have been suspected of corruption and have been jailed, one has avoided jail by suicide, one is awaiting trial, another is in house arrest custody, and the other awaits extradition in custody in the U.S. on a huge bribery scandal."

Smedley Butler was a 4 star Marine General and recipient of 2 Medals of Honor. He wrote a book, not lengthy, called War is a Racket. He spent his retirement years advocating against the use of the military for anything other than defending the boarders because he regretted having been part of the use of the military to take advantage of other countries and do the bidding of big business.. He wrote something that, although it is not the theme of the book, says a lot about where those Central American Countries are today, in the wake of what the U.S. did to them.

This corruption of foreign governments and supporting corrupt leaders went on far too long to now be even remotely easy to change.

“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. ”

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 11th 2021 at 1:33 pm. Reason: Copyright
Old Apr 11th 2021, 2:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
I absolutely agree that the solution to the problem is improved living conditions, opportunities and safety that would go a long way towards encouraging many of those who now leave, to stay instead. But it would take decades I suspect. However, having lived in Peru for 6 years and spending time in Chile and Brazil, I am painfully aware of the vast level of corruption in every part of government and private corporate enterprise. I suspect most of any aid provided would end up in the bank accounts of corrupt politicians and businessmen while a far lesser amount might make for some, but not enough, improvement.

This is the Peruvian example. "Vrtually all presidents in recent history — with the noted exception of an 8-month caretaker — have been suspected of corruption and have been jailed, one has avoided jail by suicide, one is awaiting trial, another is in house arrest custody, and the other awaits extradition in custody in the U.S. on a huge bribery scandal."

Smedley Butler was a 4 star Marine General and recipient of 2 Medals of Honor. He wrote a book, not lengthy, called War is a Racket. He spent his retirement years advocating against the use of the military for anything other than defending the boarders because he regretted having been part of the use of the military to take advantage of other countries and do the bidding of big business.. He wrote something that, although it is not the theme of the book, says a lot about where those Central American Countries are today, in the wake of what the U.S. did to them.

This corruption of foreign governments and supporting corrupt leaders went on far too long to now be even remotely easy to change.

“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. ”

Lady's still telling it like it is after all these years.

Old Apr 11th 2021, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is a six-page article in today's NY Times magazine about immigration (legal and illegal) from Central American countries badly impacted by past US foreign policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.