Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Biden

President Biden

Old Feb 26th 2021, 1:28 pm
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Biden

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
the first Gulf War started by Thatcher and Bush and continued by Major?
And that's it? Tories being led by the USA? They went there for good reasons? People were and still are of course being massacred. But led by the USA, Maggie didn't let anyone lead her. Hardly cause for your assertion that Tories were following the USA. Then again, if you are anti-Tory then anything will do!
Old Feb 26th 2021, 1:30 pm
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Well they did back Blair on the decision to a far greater degree than did Labour.

Something that appears to have been forgotten since.
Just another anti- Tory rant. Blair was P.M. It was his responsibility. I know it's hard to swallow!
Old Feb 26th 2021, 1:37 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Just another anti- Tory rant. Blair was P.M. It was his responsibility. I know it's hard to swallow!
It's not in the least bit hard to swallow for me. I know exactly whose responsibility it was, and it wasn't all Blair's, however much I detest him (and I do).

I'd happily discuss the matter with you further but this is quite obviously the wrong thread for it so I'll leave it at that before a mod wades in and deletes all my fine words.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 26th 2021, 1:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post

There's a vague sense of menace in the air...
Old Feb 26th 2021, 3:54 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
​​​​​​That said, I wish they would just pull out and establish a rapid response base at a base a reasonable distance from the area to deal with any activity by a terrorist group.
It's a moot point this isn't it?
Viewed from the White House and no doubt almost any western capital, the definition of 'terrorist' equates to any group that actively resists what internationally is agreed to be their will.
Some years ago a friend who'd spent time in the middle east with the UN related a tale of being threatened at the wrong end of an AK47 by Hezbollah. He is now a typical western minded intelligent businessman and describes hezbollah as terrorists. I didn't ask him at the time, but wondered whether he was the terrorist, a member of a foreign army in a foreign land in the middle east doing what western westerners have done in the middle east for decades. I should have asked him why he was there in the first place.
And it goes on. Western nations station their forces in foreign countries, invade them at will and install only governments friendly to them. Anyone who says 'Go home we don't want you here!" and does what any western nation would do if occupied by foreign forces, ie resists the invader, is labelled a terrorist.
Look at the destruction and killing that western nations have wrought, either directly or by supporting local warlords, across the middle east from Libya to Yemen to control the flow of oil, and you have to ask yourselves whether we are the terrorists and Hamas and hezbollah the freedom fighters.
And I haven't even mentioned Israel, a nuclear state and a racist state practising apartheid in the middle east and one that assassinates opponents at will, and we call them friends.
It's a topsy-turvy world when we obliterate nation states and call ourselves peaceful, just defending ourselves aren't we? From what?

Old Mar 1st 2021, 3:46 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The United States government publicly identified Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia as the murderer of an American resident, and then President Biden choked.
Instead of imposing sanctions on M.B.S., Biden appears ready to let the murderer walk
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/o...AELaB8x-yUm840
Old Mar 1st 2021, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...secure-release

Difficult imagine US or any government going out there for one Citizen or in this case resident unless it is convenient to use it, he is effectively head of state.

There is another story link above involving Saudi.

“We are begging you to intercede. As they are citizens of the Commonwealth we believe you have a moral obligation to fight their corner,” they wrote. The pair became dual nationals of Saudi Arabia and the island of Dominica, a Commonwealth nation in 2015, after the princess applied for their citizenship-by-investment programme.
Not sure they realise but stories like this do not help, really?
Old Mar 1st 2021, 4:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Looking the other way is unlikely to stop. Same goes for the UK. Arms sales to the Sauds is big business.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...ost-export-ban

Old Mar 1st 2021, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lman-joe-biden
But Biden failed to keep a more important promise: to hold Khashoggi’s killers accountable. Worried about disrupting the US-Saudi relationship, Biden decided not to impose sanctions on the crown prince. By giving the prince a pass, Biden skirted true justice for the murdered journalist and other dissidents who have suffered at Prince Mohammed’s hands. And, in turn, the reckless prince is unlikely to be dissuaded from more repression and crimes.

The interesting question is where you draw the line?
Old Mar 1st 2021, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Looking the other way is unlikely to stop. Same goes for the UK. Arms sales to the Sauds is big business.

Same for Canada especially in 2019, a record year for Canada.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-high-in-2019/

There was a brief moratorium I believe but it wasn't long lasting.

Under Liberal leader Justin Trudeau Canada has sold more arms to foreign countries than at any other time in Canadian history. Aside from the US, top customer is Saudi Arabia.

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/02/trude...ms-sales-yemen

Last edited by Jsmth321; Mar 1st 2021 at 4:39 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 4:26 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

I'm not surprised, that shouldn't stop me wanting change, and pointing things out when we have business as usual.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I'm not surprised, that shouldn't stop me wanting change, and pointing things out when we have business as usual.

Indeed not. Quite the opposite.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Same for Canada especially in 2019, a record year for Canada.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-high-in-2019/

There was a brief moratorium I believe but it wasn't long lasting.

Under Liberal leader Justin Trudeau Canada has sold more arms to foreign countries than at any other time in Canadian history. Aside from the US, top customer is Saudi Arabia.

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/02/trude...ms-sales-yemen

I think they are everyone's top customer when it comes to weapons.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biden adviser Cedric Richmond sees first-term progress on reparations

https://www.axios.com/biden-cedric-richmond-reparations-f4984eab-18fd-4f4b-ad14-4cd10c54a18a.html
What he's saying: Richmond said that while the timeline for the commission isn't knowable, "if you start talking about free college tuition to [historically Black colleges and universities] and you start talking about free community college in Title I and all of those things, I think that you are well on your way."
I am sort of intrigued as to how this will be done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.