Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Biden

President Biden

Old Jan 27th 2021, 1:33 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Biden

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
I am a firm believer in term limits for the House and the Senate. Ideally, in my opinion, 2 terms for a Senator, 12 years, and 6 terms for a Congressman, also 12 years. Staggered. I do not think the entire House should be up for reelection at the same time. It is stupid. That becomes a bit more difficult to change and more likely impossible. The term limits do more than deal with the age issues, it also eliminates multiple decades of coziness with various special interest groups.
Yes, this all makes sense. I also wish, as I do for the UK, that we had more than two viable parties. I don't the two-party system is doing us any good at all any more.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Yes, this all makes sense. I also wish, as I do for the UK, that we had more than two viable parties. I don't the two-party system is doing us any good at all any more.
Me too. We may get our wish the way the Republican party is splintering.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Not everything is in the Constitution. Senate rules are created and modified over the years. Like the filibuster rule etc. I suppose that is the case with that rule.
It's never happened before that a president has been impeached during but tried after the end of his term. And according to this article "There doesn't seem to be a consensus among legal scholars as to who should preside over the trial, and the decision was left up to congressional leaders."

https://www.newsweek.com/patrick-lea...istory-1564243
Old Jan 27th 2021, 3:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Arose because Chief Justice Roberts gave it a miss. Which I think makes sense, why would he be involved in a case against a private citizen,
Old Jan 27th 2021, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Arose because Chief Justice Roberts gave it a miss. Which I think makes sense, why would he be involved in a case against a private citizen,
Apparently that's false:

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-...-trial-1564300

The only thing that's true is that the constitution is silent on who should preside.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 3:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I can see he could have been asked.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I'm hearing the sound of goalposts moving.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 4:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
I'm hearing the sound of goalposts moving.
.....and moved a hell of a long way.

From a definitive statement
Arose because Chief Justice Roberts gave it a miss.

To

Nincompoop.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 4:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
It also highlights once again how undemocratic this "governor appoints replacement until end of term" is. And this applies not only in the event of death, but in things like being appointed to a job in the administration. That's the reason why there was zero chance of Warren being in the Biden administration.
Yes I agree, there should be special elections when a seat becomes vacant.

or as Dakota suggests an appointment from the party of the person who is being replaced.

Old Jan 27th 2021, 4:56 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
The Great Boildinni strikes again!
Old Jan 27th 2021, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
.....and moved a hell of a long way.

From a definitive statement

To

Nincompoop.
When in truth...this....
"Article 1, Section 3, Clause 6 of the United States Constitution states: "The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present."The Constitution requires the involvement of the chief justice only when the president is on trial. Since Trump no longer is president, there is no requirement for the chief justice to be involved."

The whole 'refusal by Roberts' was started by this clown. 'Jevon O.A. Williams, a member of the U.S. Virgin Islands Republican Party, claimed that the chief justice refused to preside.'

Old Jan 27th 2021, 11:40 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. We may get our wish the way the Republican party is splintering.
Well I was hoping that the new party wouldn't be made up of lunatic conspiracy-believing gun-waving neo-nazi halfwits, but yeah.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 11:42 am

When in truth...this....
"Article 1, Section 3, Clause 6 of the United States Constitution states: "The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present."The Constitution requires the involvement of the chief justice only when the president is on trial. Since Trump no longer is president, there is no requirement for the chief justice to be involved."

The whole 'refusal by Roberts' was started by this clown. 'Jevon O.A. Williams, a member of the U.S. Virgin Islands Republican Party, claimed that the chief justice refused to preside.'

There you go again with those damn facts.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 11:58 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
There you go again with those damn facts.
Can someone teach Boiler how to find those? It'll make life a lot easier for everyone...
Old Jan 27th 2021, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Can someone teach Boiler how to find those? It'll make life a lot easier for everyone...

You can lead a horse to water...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.