Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Biden

President Biden

Old Jan 23rd 2021, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Biden

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Is WSJ Qanan?.
Great business reporting, bat shit crazy op-Ed pages since at least Vince Foster and I’m told way before as well.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

As a side thought - why aren't there lots of well qualified middle-aged candidates snapping at the heels of Biden, Fauci and Pelosi? I mean, yes they are competent, doing a good to great job, but the positions should be held by people 30 years their junior.

I can't believe in a country of 300+million people that they along are uniquely qualified. In large private organisations you'd start asking questions about succession planning and mentoring. Shareholders don't like the risk when you are relying on the expertise and knowledge of a single person. Someone in a position like Dr Fauci would have been asked to help identify and train up successors years ago, and he would have been offered a side-stepped Emeritus position to retain his prestige and knowledge. Encouraged to spend time lecturing and doing PR.

If you allow one strong character to run the place for years then your organisation inevitably runs into problems when they eventually go (see: Manchester United after SAF and Arsenal after Arsene Wenger). The Democratic party seems to be skipping a generation entirely, with new ideas and energy coming from the likes of AOC and her cohort. Harris is about the only person of the right age in the right position.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:08 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
As a side thought - why aren't there lots of well qualified middle-aged candidates snapping at the heels of Biden, Fauci and Pelosi? I mean, yes they are competent, doing a good to great job, but the positions should be held by people 30 years their junior.

I can't believe in a country of 300+million people that they along are uniquely qualified. In large private organisations you'd start asking questions about succession planning and mentoring. Shareholders don't like the risk when you are relying on the expertise and knowledge of a single person. Someone in a position like Dr Fauci would have been asked to help identify and train up successors years ago, and he would have been offered a side-stepped Emeritus position to retain his prestige and knowledge. Encouraged to spend time lecturing and doing PR.

If you allow one strong character to run the place for years then your organisation inevitably runs into problems when they eventually go (see: Manchester United after SAF and Arsenal after Arsene Wenger). The Democratic party seems to be skipping a generation entirely, with new ideas and energy coming from the likes of AOC and her cohort. Harris is about the only person of the right age in the right position.
Vote for Yellowroom. Smartest poster, not sure about age range!
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't a system that helps either younger people or those with more fundamentally different views (of any age, eg Sanders) break through. At a guess, it's partly because of the vast sums of money needed to gain high office, and partly because the establishment is very well-entrenched in what is fundamentally quite a conservative country.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Is WSJ Qanan?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-bid...bshare_twitter

Joe Bidens First day began the end of girls sports.
Good news! That will put more of the sluts back in the kitchen and secretarial pool.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It isn't a system that helps either younger people or those with more fundamentally different views (of any age, eg Sanders) break through. At a guess, it's partly because of the vast sums of money needed to gain high office, and partly because the establishment is very well-entrenched in what is fundamentally quite a conservative country.
How did Obama make it through at 47 then?
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:34 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
I think that it's you that has nothing old chap. Have a good day.
When you provide nothing its hard to respond
Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
I think that Churchill's contribution vastly outweighs his bad points, and as we know that is the measure of a person, there's good and bad in everyone.
Opinion, followed by your personal evaluation, ignoring others perspectives, it exposes your prejudices and your external influences. My opinion is that there are some actions that can not be balance out.
It's a good job that Roosevelt didn't think like you, he realised the threat, and helped out where he could without jumping in with both feet and committing men til the Japanese forced their hand in 1941, that's what allies do. I would even argue that Neville Chamberlain made it possible for Hitler to build a bigger war machine because of his capitulation, leading to a longer more deadly conflict. You seem to be arguing that Churchill was little better than Hitler, and you're very wrong indeed.
None of this addresses any of the points I made, so I thought it irrelevant, but I can comment on what you wrote
Of course Roosevelt didn't think like me, he thought like Churchill, the USA had their own expanding empire to defend. The war in the Pacific was another war of clashing empires. The USA had been expanding West since its inception. It had territory to the West of Japan, the Philippines, as well as Hawaii to the East,(both of which were attacked on Dec 7 '41 still so fresh as a colonial acquisition it was, like the Philippines, not a State, but an annexation . The USA stopped Japan expansion in Asia and the Pacific, but it lost the Philippines.
In wars of empire, which WW2 was, you have winners and losers, The USSR, USA, UK, seemed to be the winners, in that order. But to pretend it was some fight for freedom, has all the evidence questioning it. The spinning of stories is fascinating. FDR's Day of Infamy speech is well worth looking at and comparing it with the notes and drafts, to see how it was crafted, to exclude the Philippines and promote Hawaii, an expert little bit of propaganda.(who can name the other three US possessions attacked on that day, other than Hawaii?) It was the day that Hawaii, became American, rather than just a managed possession.
When you have empires at war, we can probably create a league table of who has done the most harm UK and US might be above others, but that isnt a game I want to play. I may also have personal gain from the actions of monsters, again, not something I would celebrate. The outcome of WW2 could have been a lot worse, but it wasnt,, it is what we got. The loss of China, Eastern Europe and half of Korea to non democratic governments. Loss of empire, a failure of war aims, but something to be celebrated. The end of WW2 brought about the end of empire to a large extent. But people such as your self when you talk about Churchill as leader of the Lands of the Free, or something similar, this freedom was a war failure not a war aim. How bad was Churchill? He as leader of the the whole empire, he has to take the praise and criticism of that position. How many people even know about, never mind talk about the Bengal famine? that killed up to 3 million, His policies and those of his cabinet have been pointed to as making the famine worse. . A famine that was denied, that could have been prevented, I wish I had to hand some of the quotes from the governing staff of the time, they are chilling. Ask any family that survived that famine how was Churchill. Churchill was not a King Leopold, he wasnt that bad, but to praise him means willfully ignoring millions of dead.
I understand that you feel the policies of Churchill helped you,, and people like you, your family maybe. but that is so subjective, myopic and willful ignorance of things like Bengal. There are people who still praise King Leopold, because the murder and mutilation "happened over there, not to us".
We can be thankful for some of the outcomes, the outcomes that benefit us personally, and still be cognizant that those benefits come at a cost, a huge cost to others, and those that lead, dont always do it with good intent, that outcomes can be good for us, from actions that are bad. We can not like Hitler, and not like Churchill too. These wars of empire dont have good versus bad, they have bad versus less bad.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 23rd 2021 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
How did Obama make it through at 47 then?
Money.

The 2020 election still wins by a long way though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/28/2020...-a-record.html

" POINTS
  • The 2020 election is set to finish with $14 billion in spending, smashing records as Trump and Biden battle for the White House.
  • The sum will be more than double of what was spent in the 2016 election.
  • By Election Day, the presidential campaign is expected to end up seeing $6.6 billion in total spending, while congressional races are anticipated to finish with just over $7 billion.
  • Democrats have nearly doubled the spending by Republican candidates up and down the ballot."

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jan 23rd 2021 at 4:46 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you allow one strong character to run the place for years then your organisation inevitably runs into problems when they eventually go (see: Manchester United after SAF and Arsenal after Arsene Wenger). ...
Nice to see someone else make a footie analogy
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The best political system money can buy. This gives power to incumbents and those with name recognition. That's why I'm sure we will see a Trump running in the 2024 Republican primary.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
The best political system money can buy. This gives power to incumbents and those with name recognition. That's why I'm sure we will see a Trump running in the 2024 Republican primary.
Unless they are too polluted to raise the cash. Biden outraised Trump by a long way.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
I'm 75, well I will be next month, and I hope I'm still compos mentis, I do do the BE quiz to keep my brain working, among other things I do.
I will be 77 in March, much to my surprise. The grey matter still functions quite well. The rest of the structure is getting a tad rusty though. With someone Biden's age, I think health issues other than dementia are more of a concern. Reagan was clearly suffering from early Alzheimer's his last 2 or 3 years in office, even though no official diagnosis came forward until he had been out of office for four or five years.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Trump is out of office. Could we please have a refresh of the English language and stop using these silly invented terms like "cancel culture" now please? It's lazy. Just say what you mean in your own words instead of these made-up terms that have been provided to you by somebody else.
Well now that Trump's gone, we can get back to our old bickerings . I would say, "That's rich coming from you" ... how about we give up on 'othering' and other such abominations of the English language?
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Whatever he may have done or not done, doesn't remove the fact that he was racist and an imperialist.
Please outline how Churchill was not a racist nor an imperialist.
He's clearly a racist and an imperialist as measured by today's standards. But I feel like we have to consider things contemporaneously (in case that's not the right word, I mean - within the time in history). He was born and raised to behave that way at his core. I would say he was pretty much getting to be a dinosaur by the end of his term, and that's probably why he got voted out, but I think in his heyday, his values were 'mainstream'.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
I commend what Churchill did in WW2, but reality says this: Without the U.S. there could have been no Normandy invasion, and, to be blunt, had Hitler not been an idiot and invaded the Soviet Union, there is likely no way the Germans would have lost WW2 even with the U.S. involvement. History is a quirky thing. Point is, Churchill was one cog in a wheel and in no way won the war by himself. Perhaps there should be a bust of Stalin in the Oval Office. After all, they suffered the greatest losses and destroyed the greatest number of German forces. See? Quirky history.
Thought popped into my mind based on this:
Russia was to Germany what Covid was to Trump!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.