British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   President Biden (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/president-biden-934293/)

Giantaxe Aug 18th 2020 10:33 pm

re: President Biden

I will merely lol at Trump's attempt to denigrate Michelle Obama by saying she recorded her speech rather than giving it live - "she got the death figure wrong". Well, yes, she did. She said 150k and it's now over 170k. Nice way for Trump to bring attention to his own failings as president as evidenced by the rapid rise in deaths still going on.

civilservant Aug 18th 2020 10:33 pm

I guess that when something goes well you can just outright lie about the success and people will believe you if they don't want to believe otherwise.
Indeed. Republicans are excellent at that. Not what you meant? Oooopa.

paulry Aug 20th 2020 6:34 am

Indeed.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...2e18f3132b.jpg

civilservant Aug 20th 2020 11:12 am

Because 2009-2017 isn't 2020.

Because he'll be coming after the worst President in history.

Because there wasn't a global pandemic that had killed 173,000 Americans.

Because Obama didn't ask Russia to interfere with an election.

Because Obama realized that NK was a threat, and not something to kowtow too.

BUT WAIT! he has dealt with an ailing economy - because of the last Republican President. Together Obama and Biden solved it and put us on course for the longest period of economic expansion in recent history.

Need I go on?

Lion in Winter Aug 20th 2020 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12899382)
Because 2009-2017 isn't 2020.

Because he'll be coming after the worst President in history.

Because there wasn't a global pandemic that had killed 173,000 Americans.

Because Obama didn't ask Russia to interfere with an election.

Because Obama realized that NK was a threat, and not something to kowtow too.

BUT WAIT! he has dealt with an ailing economy - because of the last Republican President. Together Obama and Biden solved it and put us on course for the longest period of economic expansion in recent history.

Need I go on?

You're wasting your time. To the fervent ideologue, facts are irrelevant.

Anian Aug 20th 2020 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12899293)

Because Trump hadn't broken it yet.

And really, an unedited phone screenshot of an instagram post of a photo of a billboard?

spouse of scouse Aug 20th 2020 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 12899573)

And really, an unedited phone screenshot of an instagram post of a photo of a billboard?

:thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 20th 2020 10:21 pm

From 1997 when I became an adult, I rank the presidents during this time best to worst.

Obama
Clinton
Bush
Trump

I was too young during the Reagan years to form any real opinion on it, same with Bush 1, and so only ranked those in office during my adult years age 18 to now.

kimilseung Aug 21st 2020 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 12899573)

We know Paulry can't read, so we can't expect him to know how to crop and image. Be fair.

Steerpike Aug 21st 2020 3:59 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12899293)
Indeed.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a81ccb3114.png
There you go - cropped it for you!

I would not go with this argument if I were on the Trump campaign; reminding people of what Obama/Biden achieved in their 8 years is not the best strategy. One might forget that Obama inherited the worst disaster in recent times, in 2009, thanks to Bush being asleep at the wheel and letting banking regulations go out the window. Things were pretty f**ing dire in 2009. Much, much better in 2016. Trump took that and ... now look where we are.

moneypenny20 Aug 21st 2020 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12899704)
From 1997 when I became an adult, I rank the presidents during this time best to worst.

Obama
Clinton
Bush
Trump

I was too young during the Reagan years to form any real opinion on it, same with Bush 1, and so only ranked those in office during my adult years age 18 to now.

The husband was watching a programme on Reagan the other night. Regardless of what he did and didn't do, we were both struck by his ability to speak in complete sentences (at least whilst he was President). That should not be what we notice considering what went on in his Administration.

civilservant Aug 21st 2020 10:50 am

I thought that Biden acceptance speech was pretty good last night. At times he showed passion, especially regarding Russia and the bounties.

I don't really understand what Trump and the Republicans are trying to do with this whole 'sleepy Joe' thing. They are lowering the bar so much that he only has to step over to exceed expectations - and that's what he did last night.

Lion in Winter Aug 21st 2020 11:30 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12899856)
I thought that Biden acceptance speech was pretty good last night. At times he showed passion, especially regarding Russia and the bounties.

I don't really understand what Trump and the Republicans are trying to do with this whole 'sleepy Joe' thing. They are lowering the bar so much that he only has to step over to exceed expectations - and that's what he did last night.

That's true, but the people to whom Trump is appealing are far more likely to listen to and believe what he says about the speech than to have listened to or read the speech itself. This is about whipping up his clan, not changing minds.

paulry Aug 21st 2020 11:43 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12899856)

Teleprompter ;)

jimenato Aug 21st 2020 11:48 am

I see Biden getting elected (or really I suppose Trump getting thrown out) as the first step of the world starting to rid itself of the rot that started on June 23rd 2016.