Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Aug 28th 2018, 5:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Well done to us all for doing what we wanted to do or what became our lot in life and being happy with it.

I find this belittling talk of losers, minions and so on quite distasteful - sorry I was goaded into replying to it.

If Cape wants to work on into the evening when we are all doing what we want to do - that's up to him. It's not what I would want to do.

But I have to say he doesn't come over as being one of the happy people in this life.
Have a sandwich
Old Aug 28th 2018, 5:19 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Well done to us all for doing what we wanted to do or what became our lot in life and being happy with it.

I find this belittling talk of losers, minions and so on quite distasteful - sorry I was goaded into replying to it.

If Cape wants to work on into the evening when we are all doing what we want to do - that's up to him. It's not what I would want to do.

But I have to say he doesn't come over as being one of the happy people in this life.
Just more hate from the usual suspect.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 5:46 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Just more hate from the usual suspect.
I bet you wear a " mummy they are picking on me " tee shirt.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 5:48 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I bet you wear a " mummy they are picking on me " tee shirt.
Yet more, all ad-hom from the children on the forum.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 5:58 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Absolutely. Plans are fine (although I know that not everyone agrees), but they're of mice and men. I took my first overseas job without a clear plan, other than to cash in on a lucrative ME market at that time: Saudi was shite and I definitely didn't enjoy it, but it was a stepping stone (although I didn't know it at the time). The next stepping stone was highly significant, although again I had no idea it would be and it certainly wasn't planned, and I intended only going (to Japan) for a year to put it on my CV. But that resulted in marriage and the kids, and although I hated Saudi I'd do the same again because without that stepping stone things would almost certainly have been different.

It's only a very few people who have the luck to follow a path to early retirement, and you could plan to the nth degree and not achieve it. I've seen plenty of people struggling to try to achieve it and be far too focussed on the objective to be able to smell the roses along the way.

We aren't in control of our fate, and anyone who is fortunate enough to retire early is arrogant if they say they had it all planned and anyone can do it.

(Having said all that, I'm firmly focussed on retirement next spring, but at 60 and having done a fair stint abroad, with only the occasional rose to sniff recently, I consider it not unreasonable. But I'm still aware that many things could come along to scupper even those short-term plans.)
I certainly didn't plan to work in the civil service back home (I deluded myself I'd get a job in academia, or at least teaching until I ran out of money and had to quit uni for my first civil service job), nor did I plan to be living in America but here we are. I kind of fell into my first job here because my wife already worked at that company and I went through the motions at first before I discovered I kind of liked the green industry and now I'm pretty settled where I am.

Maybe one day I'll be more drawn to project management but I'm really not qualified to do so and I don't want to burden myself with any stress either when I can spend my free time doing other things. Right now I'm learning Spanish, which is more fun than working until 9pm every day

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Have a sandwich
I'm just about to have one actually. I even made it myself.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:12 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Yet more, all ad-hom from the children on the forum.
Thanks for confirming exactly what I was suggesting ..
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:13 pm
Open the pod bay doors...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Have a sandwich
I like this particular boss of mine, but he makes his own sandwiches. Probably because the last time he asked us to make him a sandwich, he had mustard, ketchup and brown sauce on the ham and cheese. The look on his face was priceless, and he ate it without complaint, but he'd asked for whatever. He got whatever.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:18 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I like this particular boss of mine, but he makes his own sandwiches. Probably because the last time he asked us to make him a sandwich, he had mustard, ketchup and brown sauce on the ham and cheese. The look on his face was priceless, and he ate it without complaint, but he'd asked for whatever. He got whatever.
If my boss asked me to make him a sandwich, I'd have a hard time not laughing at him.

Helps that I make mine at home in the morning before leaving for work, of course - if he was there asking for a sandwich at 6:30 in the morning, we'd have a bigger issue to deal with.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
If my boss asked me to make him a sandwich, I'd have a hard time not laughing at him.

Helps that I make mine at home in the morning before leaving for work, of course - if he was there asking for a sandwich at 6:30 in the morning, we'd have a bigger issue to deal with.
In all seriousness, HR is down on that "get me a sandwich/my dry cleaning/a taxi" thing like a ton of bricks around here. Staff have to be treated like professionals and get on with their jobs. They are not there to function as servants for others, no matter where in the corporate hierarchy they sit. I thought that sort of thing stopped decades ago.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:33 pm
Hail Satan!

In all seriousness, HR is down on that "get me a sandwich/my dry cleaning/a taxi" thing like a ton of bricks around here. Staff have to be treated like professionals and get on with their jobs. They are not there to function as servants for others, no matter where in the corporate hierarchy they sit. I thought that sort of thing stopped decades ago.
That kind of thing would never happen round here. Most landscaping companies (and many other contractors) are owned by guys who started off as laborers/ops guys. They don't act that way. The fact that it would happen and would be expected to be allowed happen in other environments goes against my lower-middle-class sensibilities

I mean, we'll offer to pick each other up lunch as a favor so someone doesn't have to leave the office if they're busy, but we pay each other back as well.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:34 pm
Democracy advocate

Have you not heard of PA's?
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:37 pm

Have you not heard of PA's?
Yes. The same applies.

They have a professional job to do which does not include personal services. It's not allowed.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:39 pm
Democracy advocate

Yes. The same applies.

They have a professional job to do which does not include personal services. It's not allowed.
Their job is to do as they're asked - organising lunch is one of their roles, this is the same across multiple countries and companies I've been at.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:41 pm
Hail Satan!

Their job is to do as they're asked - organising lunch is one of their roles, this is the same across multiple countries and companies I've been at.
Seems a bit unnecessary though, paying someone to do something that you can take care of yourself before you leave the house in the morning. You can get enough bread and lunch meat to make sandwiches for yourself all week for about a fiver.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:47 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Seems a bit unnecessary though, paying someone to do something that you can take care of yourself before you leave the house in the morning. You can get enough bread and lunch meat to make sandwiches for yourself all week for about a fiver.
They can do other things as well, not solely a lunch organiser.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.