Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:49 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Why might I not face exactly the same charges in either direction?

[color=#333333]
Until January the something-or-other 2018, we all paid these charges. I well remember paying them and yes, it was irritating to be presented with that at the end of the booking process. Hardly a deal-breaker on a 2 week getaway if you're having to pay a 5€ or 10€ charge for booking with a credit card, though. The price of flight tickets could vary a great deal more than that in a matter of minutes.

Roaming charges and debit / credit card transaction charges may have been abolished but I now pay extra for both on the standing charges. That means it costs me more now than it did before, due to my irregular and infrequent usage pattern. Thanks very much - nice one. I guess that means I'm subsidising the people who can afford to get away more often than I can
Do you really think that the operators will not add these costs to existing charges, to UK card holders Tec. I does they all do...
The UK will be outside of EU legislation and who actually believes that HMG will pass new regulation to ensure that current arrangements continue..
We have just paid for a visa to India, being outside of the EU their were additional charges for use of cards..
We will no longer be in the EU.

Last edited by EMR; Aug 24th 2018 at 2:54 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:53 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Do you really think that the operators will not add these costs to existing charges, to UK card holders Tec. I does they all do...
The UK will be outside of EU legislation and who actually believes that HMG will pass new regulation to ensure that current arrangements continue..
About 5 to 3, I think.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 3:14 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Two options remain if we are to get rid of the days named after Norse Gods (which is kind of dumb since our Saxon/Norse roots allows for this).
Since Monday, Saturday and Sunday are all named after celestial bodies (the Moon, Saturn and the sun), we could embrace our Roman roots and use the same naming conventions as the Romance languages, so we would have:
Monday
Marsday
Mercurysday
Jupitersday
Venusday
Saturday
Sunday

I think Tuesday though is literally 'second day' we could go strictly numerical:

Onesday
Tuesday
Threesday
Foursday
Fivesday
Sixday
Sevensday
They roll off the tongue nicely, don't they?
Since they're from the north of the Netherlands, they're obviously the best, and that's what's different
..... Though maybe they'd want to reserve Friday as Fargeday ???
... uuummm.. I read somewhere that it was the Dutch who invented commerce too....
Old Aug 24th 2018, 3:20 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
..... Though maybe they'd want to reserve Friday as Fargeday ???
That is exactly the kind of sycophantic bootlicking that the modern conservative gets all tingly over so you could be right.

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... uuummm.. I read somewhere that it was the Dutch who invented commerce too....
Pretty sure it was the Romans. Or the aliens. It's always one or the other if it wasn't the Chinese or the Indians or the Sumerians or Arabs or Greeks ...
Old Aug 24th 2018, 4:07 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
It will be - as long as the recalcitrant EU stops being silly and does as it's told.
Yes, we know already. The EU is being petty. The UK just wants needs unfettered access to their little $17T market without having to abide by any silly rules, and even if it has to abide by some rules, they will be set by the UK, and any alleged "violations" of those rules shall be solely assessed and ruled on by the UK. The UK shall also have the right to compete with the rest of the members on terms of the UK's choosing.

After all, the EU needs the UK far more than the UK needs them. And that explains why the UK keeps demanding access with no restrictions, while the daft EU just stands on their petty "four pillars", simply saying that if you want the same thing as remaining, then you agree to the same as the rest of the members. Otherwise, bugger off.

On the other hand, it also explains why the EU (and virtually the whole of the rest of the world) believes the UK is utterly delusional, and why the EU won't remotely agree to any of it.

​​​​So, if you're leaving, then leave. What's the problem? Close the door on your way out. Have a nice trip.

Last edited by amideislas; Aug 24th 2018 at 4:54 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 4:36 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Two options remain if we are to get rid of the days named after Norse Gods (which is kind of dumb since our Saxon/Norse roots allows for this).

Since Monday, Saturday and Sunday are all named after celestial bodies (the Moon, Saturn and the sun), we could embrace our Roman roots and use the same naming conventions as the Romance languages, so we would have:

Monday
Marsday
Mercurysday
Jupitersday
Venusday
Saturday
Sunday

Interesting, and I like it. FWIW, Japanese days are:

M: Getsu-yoobi (Moon day)
T: Ka-yoobi (Fire day)
W: Sui-yoobi (Water day)
T: Moku-yoobi (Wood day)
F: Kin-yoobi (Gold day)
S: Do-yoobi (Earth day)
S: Nichi-yoobi (Sun day)

Some surprising similarities.

(Months are boring (and easy) though: Jan = ichi-gatsu = 1 month; Feb = ni-gatsu = 2 month, et seq.)
Old Aug 24th 2018, 4:55 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Interesting, and I like it. FWIW, Japanese days are:

M: Getsu-yoobi (Moon day)
T: Ka-yoobi (Fire day)
W: Sui-yoobi (Water day)
T: Moku-yoobi (Wood day)
F: Kin-yoobi (Gold day)
S: Do-yoobi (Earth day)
S: Nichi-yoobi (Sun day)

Some surprising similarities.

(Months are boring (and easy) though: Jan = ichi-gatsu = 1 month; Feb = ni-gatsu = 2 month, et seq.)
Naming days after solar system objects is quite common, I think (as are numbers, I think the Slavic languages name days after their position in the week - but I may be wrong), I like the way Japanese has included some other materials as well. We could go with a periodic table motif, I suppose. I used an alphabetical list of atomic symbols and chose ones that make sense as an abbreviation of existing day names. This is fun

Molybdenumsday (Mo)
Telluriumsday (Te)
Tungstensday (W)
Thoriumsday (Th and kind of a cheat since both Thorium and Thursday are named after Thor - sue me)
Franciumsday (Fr)
Sulfursday (S)
Tinsday (Sn)

Months are a mixed bag (and Mars gets a month but not a day in English unlike other languages where it also gets Tuesday). Doesn't help that months 9-12 are named after the Latin numbers 7-10 either. Do we want an Unomber and Duomber instead of January and February though?
Old Aug 24th 2018, 5:04 pm
Open the pod bay doors...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's struck them yet that even a "no deal" Brexit still necessitates coming to agreements with the EU on a multitude of matters at some stage. That's why it doesn't make too much sense to refer to it as "a deal" - no deal is still a deal, ultimately.
No deal should be renamed no agreement.
Bad deal should be renamed no Brexit.
I presume a good deal gives the UK whatever it wants with none of the obligations. Which was never gonna happen.

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
It will be - as long as the recalcitrant EU stops being silly and does as it's told.
It's doing as its told to by those of it's members who aren't leaving. The UK knows what those rules are because it helped draft them, well a previous government did. Maybe this one should have checked those rules.

About 5 to 3, I think.
I'd suggest 20 past 4.......

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Aug 24th 2018 at 5:12 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

We have just paid for a visa to India, being outside of the EU their were additional charges for use of cards..
We will no longer be in the EU.
Non-sterling transaction fee----about 2.5--2.9% according to which card you use. As poster above states, not a great amount considering flight costs etc.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 5:34 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Non-sterling transaction fee----about 2.5--2.9% according to which card you use. As poster above states, not a great amount considering flight costs etc.
But more than nothing, zero.
Please send me 2.5% of your income if you do not think it is much...
There are millions of card uses by Brits in the EU every year , 2,5% additional cost is not peanuts even if you think it is..
Brexiters," We are all right Jack "..
Old Aug 24th 2018, 5:50 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

There are millions of card uses by Brits in the EU every year , 2,5% additional cost is not peanuts even if you think it is..
Perhaps a UK credit card company will offer a non-fee card for foreign transactions.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

If 'Brits' are living or working in EU countries can they/will they not be able to get a local debit/ credit card? I don't know perhaps you will tell me?

If going on holiday it is part of the holiday cost not a % of their income.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 6:58 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, Bipat - I'm glad you're back. I've got a little bone to pick with you about this :
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
We were discussing migrant numbers, the OP questioned whether more non-EU migrants would be able to come to the UK Post Brexit. My reply was regarding that.
No we do not 'know' what will happen, but it is likely that there might be 'some' changes in number proportions.
There will still be the two groups of migrants those applying from EU countries and those from non-EU countries. (Remainers on this thread seem certain that they will be treated differently.)
I can't recall remainers on this thread in general being particularly certain on that front or, indeed (m?)any of them besides me mooting it but I'll put you straight about my actual take on the matter, which is somewhat the other way round. When a bullish claim that the rules post-Brexit will be the same for all has been made, I've queried whether that, in fact, is certain to be the case judged on the balance of evidence so far. You see the difference? And I've presented various pronouncements and highlighted various reluctances to make pronouncements on aspects of the future immigration policy to support that slight scepticism.

I'll present another now. What is it, do you think, that's stopping the government from presenting its shiny new immigration policy, now overrunning by a year on its originally intended delivery time? Is it :

a) a sheer coincidence that it will be announced after an outline arrangement with the EU has been arrived at
B) because the policy might be affected by what is agreed with the EU

Take your time and don't let me influence you in any way. 50/50. a or B

Last edited by Red Eric; Aug 24th 2018 at 7:01 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 7:27 pm
Still mal-fonted. Why?

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, Bipat - I'm glad you're back. I've got a little bone to pick with you about this :

I can't recall remainers on this thread in general being particularly certain on that front or, indeed (m?)any of them besides me mooting it but I'll put you straight about my actual take on the matter, which is somewhat the other way round. When a bullish claim that the rules post-Brexit will be the same for all has been made, I've queried whether that, in fact, is certain to be the case judged on the balance of evidence so far. You see the difference? And I've presented various pronouncements and highlighted various reluctances to make pronouncements on aspects of the future immigration policy to support that slight scepticism.

I'll present another now. What is it, do you think, that's stopping the government from presenting its shiny new immigration policy, now overrunning by a year on its originally intended delivery time? Is it :

a) a sheer coincidence that it will be announced after an outline arrangement with the EU has been arrived at
B) because the policy might be affected by what is agreed with the EU

Take your time and don't let me influence you in any way. 50/50. a or B
Ooh, ooh, I love multiple choice.

Can I play as well please?
Old Aug 24th 2018, 7:49 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Ooh, ooh, I love multiple choice.
Can I play as well please?
wait BB.... the Candidate is still trying to wriggle out of giving RE an answer....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.