Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Eh?
You demanded answers to rhetorical questions?
I didn't 'demand answers'---just pointed out that my mode of questioning meant I knew the answers!
Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
Yes it does (statistically and in this case). Those "just" eight countries account for exactly two-thirds (67%) of the EU population. A comfortable majority.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. However, if you look at the 2018 survey produced by Pew Research, you will see that statistically, satisfaction with the EU in Hungary was (in 2018) not wildly different from the average for the EU, and in Poland in fact was among the best in the bloc, perhaps even the best.

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...-its-citizens/It is now 2020

Why not Slovenia, Portugal and Luxembourg? They weren't included either.
I mentioned Hungary and Poland as they are causing a crisis in the EU at this moment in time. (It is now 2020).
Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Remainers are still whinging about the referendum result, that is the crux of the posts. The majority of individual countries can only be ascertained by holding a referendum. get over it, Britain is out, thank God!!!
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Remainers are still whinging about the referendum result, that is the crux of the posts. The majority of individual countries can only be ascertained by holding a referendum. get over it, Britain is out, thank God!!!
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I didn't 'demand answers'---just pointed out that my mode of questioning meant I knew the answers!
Well perhaps badgered for answers then. You were far from just pointing out you knew the answers.
Here's the badgering for answers.
You didn't answer two of my questions!
I am not confused. I asked you two questions that anyone could answer! You didn't reply or explain your view!
You didn't reply when I asked which subjects were you referring to when you said I know very little.

(You still have not replied to your accusation of my lack of knowledge on other topics discussed.)
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
A common refrain among Brexiters is that Remainers should move on.

Have you two not noticed that the conversation in this thread is about matters now, as in since the UK has left? Those discussing the situation since the UK left have very obviously moved on. It seems that you two are stuck in the "still whinging about the result" dialogue. Perhaps it is you that should move on?
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Watchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned Hungary and Poland as they are causing a crisis in the EU at this moment in time. (It is now 2020).
I fully realise why you mentioned Hungary and Poland, and that it's 2020. It still doesn't make up for your logic deficit.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
I fully realise why you mentioned Hungary and Poland, and that it's 2020. It still doesn't make up for your logic deficit.
The logic is -----if you carry out a poll in 8 out of 27 EU countries, you get a 'snapshot' as OP described it, of the opinions---- of those who responded ---in 8 countries.
You do not get the opinions of any 'respondents' living in the 19 other countries. Particularly of those that disagree with present EU policies.
The member countries of the EU are individual sovereign nations --it is not a mass of one homogenous population of people.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Yes--- but that is really suggesting that those eight countries with larger populations are 'in charge' of the other 19 countries--- those smaller countries, the majority of member sovereign countries have 'no real say' ---which is not the way the EU 'claims to work' and in fact doesn't ----which goes back to the irrelevance of this 'poll'!
The poll shows the majority of people in the EU have a favourable view of the EU.

Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:59 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

"Hungary" and "Poland" are not causing a crisis.

Their representatives in one of the institutions are, over one specific issue, for their own particular ends.

That doesn't mean that their populations would necessarily respond more negatively than other member states when surveyed on more general matters.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:02 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Why 95% sure? Why not 90% or 80% sure? Was the microcosm large enough? By your rationale we need never bother with the expense of elections!
You might ask why out of 27 countries were only eight chosen? Would the result have been the same if Poland, Hungary, Greece had been included?
The former two countries causing a crisis for the EU at the moment!
Leavers were happy enough with the results of a UK Government poll on EU membership where only 52% expressed the majority opinion. In the Pew Research poll, the countries surveyed have a combined 67% of the population of the EU. The remaining 33% wouldn't change the result even if their answers were 100% in the opposite direction.

The posts we have been discussing have absolutely nothing to do with the result of the referendum. Try reading them....

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
Did you forget where you left your crayons?

The logic is -----if you carry out a poll in 8 out of 27 EU countries, you get a 'snapshot' as OP described it, of the opinions---- of those who responded ---in 8 countries.
You do not get the opinions of any 'respondents' living in the 19 other countries. Particularly of those that disagree with present EU policies.
The inhabitants of those other 19 countries are statistically a minority not big enough to change the result.

The member countries of the EU are individual sovereign nations --it is not a mass of one homogenous population of people.
Who knew that EU member states are sovereign? I thought that's why we had to leave the EU.... So Leave campaigners lied then, did they?

Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well perhaps badgered for answers then. You were far from just pointing out you knew the answers.
Here's the badgering for answers.
They were questions regarding remarks not related to the points being discussed.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=DaveLovesDee;12937489]
1) Leavers were happy enough with the results of a UK Government poll on EU membership where only 52% expressed the majority opinion. In the Pew Research poll, the countries surveyed have a combined 67% of the population of the EU. The remaining 33% wouldn't change the result even if their answers were 100% in the opposite direction.

2) The inhabitants of those other 19 countries are statistically a minority not big enough to change the result.

3) Who knew that EU member states are sovereign? I thought that's why we had to leave the EU.... So Leave campaigners lied then, did they?

[Quote]

1) Are you referring to the referendum? There were not a fixed number of 'respondents' as in a 'poll'. Is that how you view general Elections? As 'polls'?

2) So you agree that the 'poll' implies that the views of the inhabitants of the other 18 countries are irrelevant? Is that how you think the EU should function?

3) I presume they want to think of themselves as 'sovereign'---even if they have lost some of their autonomy in law making!

Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:39 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Eh?
You demanded answers to rhetorical questions?
Oh God. We've been down this road before. You see, Bristol, the thing is, 'rhetorical' doesn't necessarily mean what you, I, and the every lexicographer between here and three centuries ago supposes that it might mean. In the world of Bipat, words like this can mean whatever she chooses to suppose they mean at the time. We had a whole discussion on this several months ago. Please, let's not go there again.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:40 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Barnier and Lord Frost are hiding from the virus ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.