Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 12:06 am
Mask wearer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
My first thought when I read this was you must have felt so ill, but then I read further down that you felt ok. Amazing! So glad you're on the right track now Dave, 49 is a hell scary blood sugar.

Your diagnosis will mean some changes to your life/lifestyle, but after all you've been through with your immigration battle, you're up to it Re. insulin for type 2, my daughter's the same. Diagnosed at 15, she's 36 now. Had a hell of a battle with her for a few years re her insulin injections, didn't help that she has a needle phobia. She's fine with it all now, although with her other health problems she still sees the inside of hospitals for long stretches.

Fingers crossed that everything settles down enough for you to go home soon Dave.
Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 1:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
To cut to the quick, where exactly does one find these clocks?
I don't know. They just seem to turn up. One day the break between football seasons is a long time and then all of a sudden the weekly garbage night comes round every three days.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Insulin injections 4 x daily, and 2 x tablet 2x daily.

Apparently I should have been feeling very ill, but I felt better than I had done for weeks.
This is he problem with slow developing diseases like DM and anaemia, the body gets used to the changes as they are slow, develop over months, and compensates. eventually the chnaegs do become more than the body can compensate for, then you become ill. I've known of people being brought into hospital with glucoses of 60+, normally that's a fatal level due to the changes in other things produced, but compensation has kept it at bay. Same goes for anaemai, there are people wking around with haemoglobin levels so low they should be dead, but no, they compensate, eventually they collapse. and need lifesaving transfusions. We don't give the human body the praise it deserves for keeping us alive in these cases.
Yours is a very sevre Type 2. the vast majority of people will only need tablets. I take three a day for mine and it's well under control.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:57 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
The other side to this is that we have, at least, lived most of our lives and, hopefully, done lots of things during that time. They haven't.
Yes - that's it.

Still - for some of the poor old (very old) people I see looking bewildered yet manfully struggling around shops in their masks - possibly frightened by their vulnerability to the disease and restricted in their ability to see young family, this could well be their lot for the rest of their lives - very sad.

Last edited by jimenato; Aug 2nd 2020 at 6:00 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:25 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
DG - why don't you have a car? Having a car would seem to be such an asset right now. In my living situation, I'm able to go for a beautiful walk every day without having to drive, but if you are in a densely populated area, a car would allow you to drive away from the crowds and enjoy some solitude. Is it not possible for you to get a car?

ETA - you say you are in central Manchester, which is presumably why you have no car. Fair enough. How about a motorcycle, as suggested by Watchpost? Since you won't wear a mask, public transit is out and thus, personal transportation would seem to be a must.
Firstly, I've never learned to drive and secondly, I don't really need one. I go to my office a couple of days a week atm but that's just a short walk from my flat. A car would be useful for shopping etc but since I live alone, I can easily just get along without it.

Driving in the UK always just seemed like a huge rip off to me.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 10:22 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile... This is an interesting stat;

Brexit fuels brain drain as skilled Britons head to the EU

The study says that migration from the UK to EU countries has increased by about 30% compared to pre-Brexit numbers. Britons living in other EU countries who decided to obtain EU member state passports as well as their UK ones had increased by more than 500% overall, and by 2,000% in Germany.

Dr Daniel Auer, a co-author of the report, said: “These increases in numbers are of a magnitude that you would expect when a country is hit by a major economic or political crisis.”
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post

The study says that migration from the UK to EU countries has increased by about 30% compared to pre-Brexit numbers. Britons living in other EU countries who decided to obtain EU member state passports as well as their UK ones had increased by more than 500% overall, and by 2,000% in Germany.

Dr Daniel Auer, a co-author of the report, said: “These increases in numbers are of a magnitude that you would expect when a country is hit by a major economic or political crisis.”
It all depends on what these percentage figures start at. If they started at a small figure, 500% is not a lot, neither is 2000%. If you look at real figures, your link shows that in four years since the Brexit referendum, 31,600 Brits have been granted dual British/German citizenship: 2019 saw 14,600 naturalisations compared to 622 in 2015.

But in the past twelve months alone, applications for British citizenship by EU nationals increased by 35% to 55,301. The overall number of applications received for settled status up to 30 April 2020 is 3,536,000, 96,600 by Germans. (214,000 by Spanish.).

As for this remark: 'Dr Daniel Auer, a co-author of the report, said: “These increases in numbers are of a magnitude that you would expect when a country is hit by a major economic or political crisis,' one can only wonder why 96,600 supposedly intelligent Germans bothered to apply to stay, live and work in the UK.

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:47 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
....... one can only wonder why 96,600 supposedly intelligent Germans bothered to apply to stay, live and work in the UK.
It was either that or Majorca.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
It was either that or Majorca.
I suppose so. Going back to Germany was obviously out of the question.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 10:00 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on what these percentage figures start at. If they started at a small figure, 500% is not a lot, neither is 2000%. If you look at real figures, your link shows that in four years since the Brexit referendum, 31,600 Brits have been granted dual British/German citizenship: 2019 saw 14,600 naturalisations compared to 622 in 2015.

But in the past twelve months alone, applications for British citizenship by EU nationals increased by 35% to 55,301. The overall number of applications received for settled status up to 30 April 2020 is 3,536,000, 96,600 by Germans. (214,000 by Spanish.).

As for this remark: 'Dr Daniel Auer, a co-author of the report, said: “These increases in numbers are of a magnitude that you would expect when a country is hit by a major economic or political crisis,' one can only wonder why 96,600 supposedly intelligent Germans bothered to apply to stay, live and work in the UK.
Thet probably knew there'd be little competition....
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 10:00 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

It's an interesting statistic. Certainly a significant increase since the referendum. Some of those could be in banking though. The banks have only moved what, maybe 3000 so far? It's predicted there will be quite a bit more next year and onward.

If it's true that 96000 Germans still live in the UK, it could be for many reasons. Longtime roots, marriage, family, a critical profession, etc. But it hasn't much to do with the substantial increase in Brits moving to the EU other than whataboutism.

Looks like you all have much more work to do. 96000 Germans has got to be keeping you up at night.

Last edited by amideislas; Aug 2nd 2020 at 10:20 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 12:37 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you all have much more work to do. 96000 Germans has got to be keeping you up at night.
Not so, they're probably all in the south eating, drinking, putting towels on pub seats, yodeling, playing trumbones, writing for the Guardian and holidaying in Majorca, didn't know any in the northeast, slept well.

Last edited by dave_j; Aug 3rd 2020 at 12:44 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 10:06 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I only had to see that headline to guess which "news" source it was from.

I hovered over the link and guess what, I was correct.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 11:41 am
Reasonable Bitch

Well, it's an interesting statistic, regardless of which source covers it. It does suggest that the benefits of Brexit sunlit uplands were a bit exaggerated.

Nonetheless, as Brits increasingly accept that Brexit rhetoric was egregious misinformation, and EU membership has actually been very good for Britain, in addition to accepting the inevitable UK decline and unrest as a result, it's not exactly implausible that many would seek to live in a more secure, less chaotic and less risky environment. And as shown repeatedly on this forum, it's wise to do it before end of this year. Hence, the rush. Even many elite brexiteers have made such arrangements to ensure a smooth exodus after collecting their "winnings". So, not exactly remainiac lefty loon fake news. It seems to be rather trendy, really.

Last edited by amideislas; Aug 3rd 2020 at 1:26 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 11:41 am
Mask wearer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
I only had to see that headline to guess which "news" source it was from.

I hovered over the link and guess what, I was correct.
Ok, but was the article factually correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.