Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Nov 15th 2019, 3:28 pm
  #18106  
BE Enthusiast
 
tumbleweedly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Location: At home
Posts: 534
tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Scum of the lowest order - obviously
You have to get your terms right.

Scum forms on the surface. Trash sinks and is fed on by the Bottom Feeders.

'Lowest Order' is not really applicable to scum. Scum is scum. Its oily stuff you can't grab, hard to illiminate.
tumbleweedly is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 4:05 pm
  #18107  
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Algarve, Portugal.
Posts: 4,478
007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

https:///news/a-european-germany-not-a-german-europe/51984

This article while about the fall of the Berlin Wall's aftermath nicely sums up the reason why, and I quote "the English don't get it"
I wonder who'll hold their hands up in support of this here ....

Last edited by 007Steve; Nov 15th 2019 at 4:09 pm.
007Steve is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 4:38 pm
  #18108  
Magnificently Withering
 
Oakvillian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 6,770
Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
https:///news/a-european-germany-not-a-german-europe/51984

This article while about the fall of the Berlin Wall's aftermath nicely sums up the reason why, and I quote "the English don't get it"
I wonder who'll hold their hands up in support of this here ....
linky no worky...
Oakvillian is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 4:42 pm
  #18109  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 16,991
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
linky no worky...
that made me laughy
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 4:45 pm
  #18110  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,711
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
So you have no clue and just want to shout "macro economics" without explaining how it negates my position.

If you want to rely on macro economics to further your argument you need to explain what it is you mean with them wrt negating my position, not expect me to do your arguing and research for you.
Unlike ​​​​​yourself, I understand economics rather well. And unlike yourself, I have nothing to prove on BE. I'm not expecting you to do arguing/research for me, why would I? I've only pointed out that if you want to understand the situation you need to dig a bit a deeper. If you want to educate yourself this is what you have to do. If you're happy with your pet theories, leave it at that. The fact that it doesn't jive with government or business policy should be raising some doubts, but if you believe your 'back of the envelope calculations' trounce all that, that's your choice.
Shard is online now  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 5:32 pm
  #18111  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,818
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
I have one small rental house. I'm an elite.
I'm an ex-elite.

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
You are also a foreigner, [claiming to] live like a king...
An elite foreigner.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 5:37 pm
  #18112  
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Algarve, Portugal.
Posts: 4,478
007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
linky no worky...
https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...n-europe/51984
linky now worky.
Man who made linky no worky taught Italic writing at school by Jesuits and then calligraphy, as he told hand writing never go out of fashion.
Him now sent to re-education camp.....
007Steve is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 5:45 pm
  #18113  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,880
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Unlike ​​​​​yourself, I understand economics rather well. And unlike yourself, I have nothing to prove on BE. I'm not expecting you to do arguing/research for me, why would I? I've only pointed out that if you want to understand the situation you need to dig a bit a deeper. If you want to educate yourself this is what you have to do. If you're happy with your pet theories, leave it at that. The fact that it doesn't jive with government or business policy should be raising some doubts, but if you believe your 'back of the envelope calculations' trounce all that, that's your choice.
You understand it well, yet are unable to explain why your "macro" statement in any way impacts on my points - you're just throwing a word at the wall and like spaghetti, hoping it sticks.

How can I research and dig deeper when "macro" is a huge and wide area and you keep failing to explain why "macro" means the impacts on wages and accommodation from persistent high net immigration and the expansion of the reserve pool of labour are not what I suggest.

"The fact that it doesn't jive" - what doesn't jive? You appear completely unable to say what it is and just shout "macro" which means absolutely nothing in this context unless you explain it - you might as well just shout "physics".

Clearly you think you have dug deeper and therefore have a better understanding of economics, yet are entirely unable to explain what this is - it's laughable as a debating tactic.

Cape Blue is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 6:01 pm
  #18114  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,711
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
You understand it well, yet are unable to explain why your "macro" statement in any way impacts on my points - you're just throwing a word at the wall and like spaghetti, hoping it sticks.

How can I research and dig deeper when "macro" is a huge and wide area and you keep failing to explain why "macro" means the impacts on wages and accommodation from persistent high net immigration and the expansion of the reserve pool of labour are not what I suggest.

"The fact that it doesn't jive" - what doesn't jive? You appear completely unable to say what it is and just shout "macro" which means absolutely nothing in this context unless you explain it - you might as well just shout "physics".

Clearly you think you have dug deeper and therefore have a better understanding of economics, yet are entirely unable to explain what this is - it's laughable as a debating tactic.

Not here to research and not here to debate. You seem to thrive on false assumptions.


Shard is online now  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 6:07 pm
  #18115  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,139
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I'm an ex-elite.


An elite foreigner.

I'm an elite, too. Not because I have more wealth than blueboy (if in the unlikely event that I do, it would certainly be marginal anyway)...

but because as a foreigner myself, I can't bring myself to subscribe to the dog whistle anti-foreigner exceptionalist ideology behind Brexit. So, yes, that makes me an "elite", I reckon.
amideislas is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 6:12 pm
  #18116  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,711
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
I'm an elite, too. Not because I have more wealth than blueboy (if in the unlikely event that I do, it would certainly be marginal anyway)...

but because as a foreigner myself, I can't bring myself to subscribe to the dog whistle anti-foreigner exceptionalist ideology behind Brexit. So, yes, that makes me an "elite", I reckon.
It's as though Britain had, over the last few decades, finally put the lid on that 'foreigner' mentality...only it hadn't secured it. And then Nigel comes along and prys it open, and all the repressed anti-foreigner Brits came crawling out into the sunshine.
Shard is online now  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 6:18 pm
  #18117  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 13,356
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
How about Jeremy Corbyn threatening to go after the elites and landlords?
Jeremy Corbyn takes aim at 'corrupt system' and blasts billionaire 'elite' as race for Number 10 begins.

So we're going after the tax dodgers. We're going after the dodgy landlords. We're going after the bad bosses.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...es-aim-corrupt
Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Landlords, as multiple property owners, are clearly part of the elite - those benefiting from mass migration and voting remain correspondingly.
Well as we're constantly being told that the Brexit vote was the will of the people against the elites, a bit of anti-elitist politics ought to go down very well indeed. I look forward to a Labour government very shortly.

However, I don't know whether you're being disingenuous here but it seems to be becoming a little habit of yours to mismatch what you're quoting with the rest of what you're saying. Call me a pedant but the exact targets in the above quote were billionaire elites, dodgy landlords and bad bosses. You then extrapolate from that via a couple of other articles and end up making out it's all landlords because by definition they're elite, which is quite a long way away from what Corbyn said.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 6:24 pm
  #18118  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,139
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Well, it looks as if those in the bubble of English exceptionalism are headed for a rude awakening. It will be fascinating to watch.

Still, I'm quite happy living this immensely inferior life in substandard Europe. In fact, I'll never go back to the superior sunlit uplands. But then, I also have the benefit of elitist objectivity.
amideislas is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:24 pm
  #18119  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,711
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Well, it looks as if those in the bubble of English exceptionalism are headed for a rude awakening. It will be fascinating to watch.

Still, I'm quite happy living this immensely inferior life in substandard Europe. In fact, I'll never go back to the superior sunlit uplands. But then, I also have the benefit of elitist objectivity.
I think it will be frustrating rather than fascinating. Instead of participating in Europe, we will be squabaling and in a decade long identity crisis. And if it weakens Europe, that will be even worse for national security and prosperity. The sunlit uplands will be promised and re-promised, only to look a bit uninspiring once reached. And those Leavers who currently implore that they knew exactly what they were voting for will be claiming just as loudly that they were tricked and mislead. Not a pretty outcome.
Shard is online now  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:26 pm
  #18120  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,711
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Well as we're constantly being told that the Brexit vote was the will of the people against the elites, a bit of anti-elitist politics ought to go down very well indeed. I look forward to a Labour government very shortly.

However, I don't know whether you're being disingenuous here but it seems to be becoming a little habit of yours to mismatch what you're quoting with the rest of what you're saying. Call me a pedant but the exact targets in the above quote were billionaire elites, dodgy landlords and bad bosses. You then extrapolate from that via a couple of other articles and end up making out it's all landlords because by definition they're elite, which is quite a long way away from what Corbyn said.
Yup. A bad habit.
Shard is online now  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.