Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
You have to question why "No Deal" is being put on there, given the Benn Act. The actual choice is "deal" or "extension". Let's hope enough MPs hold their nerve.
Yes indeed. I think you'll find the Benn Surrender Act aint worth the paper it's written on!
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

" We have a deal" & it's already a **** up !
Received a letter just now from Department for Works & Pensions.

"You are currently entitled to get a increase to your UK State Pension
we will continue to pay a increase for 3 years up to & including 2022-23
This will happen even if the UK leaves the EU without a deal"

"The government plans to negotiate an agreement to ensure your State
Pension will carry on being uprated in the longer term "

Make up your own mind as too there intentions !

My first name on this letter was correct ,but my surname
was - Yiannakis
I spent a fair bit off time in Greece in the early 80's as a
consultant when they where going thru the "transition period"

So now, I not only was refused the right to vote , I have also had my name
changed for what ever reason I fail to understand.
What a massive "duck up"

Not looking forward to the future at all .
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
LOL
You would vote for a deal the EU loves and Farage loathes ?
You do realize this ''Deal'' is a Maybot minus minus minus deal ?
If I was an MP I would be voting strategically - according to the hand that has been dealt.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Yes indeed. I think you'll find the Benn Surrender Act aint worth the paper it's written on!
Actually that's a very good summing up from you there. That you don't consider the law to be of any relevance is quite illuminating.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
" We have a deal" & it's already a **** up !
Received a letter just now from Department for Works & Pensions.

"You are currently entitled to get a increase to your UK State Pension
we will continue to pay a increase for 3 years up to & including 2022-23
This will happen even if the UK leaves the EU without a deal"

"The government plans to negotiate an agreement to ensure your State
Pension will carry on being uprated in the longer term "

Make up your own mind as too there intentions !

My first name on this letter was correct ,but my surname
was - Yiannakis
I spent a fair bit off time in Greece in the early 80's as a
consultant when they where going thru the "transition period"

So now, I not only was refused the right to vote , I have also had my name
changed for what ever reason I fail to understand.
What a massive "duck up"

Not looking forward to the future at all .
She'll be fine
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Actually that's a very good summing up from you there. That you don't consider the law to be of any relevance is quite illuminating.
That's your summing up, not mine.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:13 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
LOL
You would vote for a deal the EU loves and Farage loathes ?
You do realize this ''Deal'' is a Maybot minus minus minus deal ?
If I was an MP I would be voting strategically - according to the hand that has been dealt.
So you would vote for a deal which is worse than a deal you rejected earlier? Extraordinary thinking even for a leaver.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:13 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's your summing up, not mine.
Eh?
You said the law wasn't worth the paper it was written on. It's your summing up not mine.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eh?
You said the law wasn't worth the paper it was written on. It's your summing up not mine.
The summing up as an interpretation of what I said is all yours!
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:21 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So you are happy at the prospect of the executive government committing a strongarm action over and above the law passed by Parliament.

I'm not surprised, but you really should stop whining about "democracy" under the circumstances.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:23 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Demographic changes over three and a half years are unlikely to make a difference but changing the rules will. Things like lowering the voting age to 16 and making all UK residents eligible to vote irrespective of whether they are a British citizen or not. But if they're disrespecting the first referendum why would anyone bother to respect a second whatever the outcome. If we think UK democracy is in strife right now, it would pale in comparison with the fallout from holding a second referendum - except for if it was to answer an entirely different question: For example: "Leave with no deal?" or "Leave with a stated deal?". But of course we know that those pushing for a second referendum have nothing like that in mind.
Around 2.1 million deaths in the UK since the vote, if we assume a higher chance that older people will vote and that they tended to vote leave, we have these potential leave voters being replaced by 2+ million potential remain voters. Now sure, some will have been remain voters and some kids will be leave voters, those dying a probably more likely to be British citizens than those coming of voting age (but I suspect a small impact) but there is a potential 4+ million swing towards remain. Even a third of this demographic change plus the project fear of us all dying from starvation/lack of medicines/[insert the next doom here] could shift things decidedly remain.

I agree, now that democracy has been ignored by the elites, there is no end of gerrymandering and cheating they won't stoop to to win a second referendum for remain.

The only justification for a second vote would be which of the leave options - deal or no-deal - should be chosen, but as you say, that isn't what the remainiacs are pushing for.

Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:30 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The summing up as an interpretation of what I said is all yours!

Then you don't understand what you are supporting.

Which is the other possibility.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:39 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Why, you don't respect the rule of law in Britain?
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:42 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
So you would vote for a deal which is worse than a deal you rejected earlier? Extraordinary thinking even for a leaver.
Not really Jim. Many Leavers lack basic logic skills and are easily led by rhetoricians. We're not talking about the brightest group.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:46 am

Boris, speaking last year on the very terms of the WA hes just agreed.

Serially dishonest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.