Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Sep 13th 2018, 6:34 pm
  #1531  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Surely the UK is generously giving up the SM's largest benefit - FOM?
But retaining it under another name, all those needed yo fill the vacancies in the UK due to lack of skills, regional variations , unpopular jobs, seasonal work etc .
Looks like a migrant , walks like a migrant, unhappily for you and those who share your views, will still be a migrant.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 6:36 pm
  #1532  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
My balanced migration policy crap if you please.
The one you share with UKIP, just a fantasy. of those who live in the past..
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 6:40 pm
  #1533  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,064
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The one you share with UKIP, just a fantasy. of those who live in the past..
Or those who live in a (happy, equitable) future.
Cape Blue is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 6:52 pm
  #1534  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Or those who live in a (happy, equitable) future.
Or to put in as you and UKIP think fewer of those from other countries responsible for the rise in the population of the UK.and any thing you can blame them for.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 6:55 pm
  #1535  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 11,376
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Who guarentees the deposits...
In the event of a bank going bust, the deposits are guaranteed (up to a limit) by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, whose funding comes from a levy on the banks etc.

In the event of a bailout, the taxpayer pays and it's not limited to the amount guaranteed by the deposit guarantee.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 7:07 pm
  #1536  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
In the event of a bank going bust, the deposits are guaranteed (up to a limit) by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, whose funding comes from a levy on the banks etc.

In the event of a bailout, the taxpayer pays and it's not limited to the amount guaranteed by the deposit guarantee.
Nice socialist view from you, bank goes bust and all any savers get back is the guaranteed figure , but could lose tens,or 100scthousands.
Whereas under a bailout they do not lose anything..
Rescuing the banks was about the economy, confidence in the UK financial structure .which is and was far more important than the punishment some would like to have seen applied to the banks.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 7:23 pm
  #1537  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 11,376
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Nice socialist view from you, bank goes bust and all any savers get back is the guaranteed figure , but could lose tens,or 100scthousands.
Whereas under a bailout they do not lose anything..
I'm not sure I understand the relevance of socialism to that comment.

Strikes me, though, that if deposits are guaranteed to a generous limit, depositors should ensure for their own peace of mind that they don't exceed that limit in any one institution and shouldn't expect anyone to step in and pay the extra if they do and the worst happens.

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
He also believes in importing mass labour to reduce labour's bargaining power and allow suppressed wages, whilst reducing tenants bargaining power and allow increased rents - I think EMR is a closet Tory.

Oh, he's well out of the closet. Taking on all the mannerisms - did you notice how, in reaction to his own mention of Jeremy Corbyn above, he immediately had to add one of Venezuela. It's a dead giveaway.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 7:40 pm
  #1538  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I'm not sure I understand the relevance of socialism to that comment.

Strikes me, though, that if deposits are guaranteed to a generous limit, depositors should ensure for their own peace of mind that they don't exceed that limit in any one institution and shouldn't expect anyone to step in and pay the extra if they do and the worst happens.


Oh, he's well out of the closet. Taking on all the mannerisms - did you notice how, in reaction to his own mention of Jeremy Corbyn above, he immediately had to add one of Venezuela. It's a dead giveaway.
Ian,t it odd how two posters from opposite sides of the political extreme both object to having their views challenged.
Consensus and the centre ground are obviously alien to both of them..
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 7:57 pm
  #1539  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 11,376
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Ian,t it odd how two posters from opposite sides of the political extreme both object to having their views challenged.
Consensus and the centre ground are obviously alien to both of them..
I can't for the life of me imagine where you get it from that I'm politically extreme or that I object to having my views challenged. On this occasion, I have simply put you straight about the EIB not acting in the same manner as a commercial bank and, in the ensuing inevitable ramble of yours, highlighted your predilection for the transferring of privately-held debt into the hands of the public.

You didn't answer me about the relevance of your reference to socialism in the above comment, by the way.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 8:41 pm
  #1540  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I can't for the life of me imagine where you get it from that I'm politically extreme or that I object to having my views challenged. On this occasion, I have simply put you straight about the EIB not acting in the same manner as a commercial bank and, in the ensuing inevitable ramble of yours, highlighted your predilection for the transferring of privately-held debt into the hands of the public.

You didn't answer me about the relevance of your reference to socialism in the above comment, by the way.
Socialism , real genuine socialism is a fair mixed economy, not the proven failed Corbyinista version..
The version that failed in the 70s, that doomed us to the confrontational Thatcher years and Majors mediocrity.
Old Labour could not even defeat Major, Thatchers lap dog.,
Todays Labour has more in common with that failed concept that the winning version that followed...
Corbyns unelectable party which you support is now as far to the left as the extreme in the Tories are to the right....
We do not like extremes in the UK,.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 9:08 pm
  #1541  
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Algarve, Portugal.
Posts: 4,478
007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Somebody's house prices are going South.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sh-carney-says
Quote: " Bank governor warns cabinet of high unemployment and sharp house price falls"

... Leveller says
Our day IS on the way.....
007Steve is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 9:14 pm
  #1542  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Somebody's house prices are going South.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sh-carney-says
Quote: " Bank governor warns cabinet of high unemployment and sharp house price falls"

... Leveller says
Our day IS on the way.....
The case against a " no deal " is not helped by unsubstantiated reports such as this.
All they do is play into the hands of the Ultra Brexiters ., who in return will cry " project fear ".
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 9:19 pm
  #1543  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 11,376
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Socialism , real genuine socialism is a fair mixed economy, not the proven failed Corbyinista version..
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The version that failed in the 70s, that doomed us to the confrontational Thatcher years and Majors mediocrity.
Old Labour could not even defeat Major, Thatchers lap dog.,
Todays Labour has more in common with that failed concept that the winning version that followed...
Corbyns unelectable party which you support is now as far to the left as the extreme in the Tories are to the right....
We do not like extremes in the UK,.

I fear that in your haste to rush out your thesis, you failed to read the question properly.

The question was what relevance did socialism have in the comment you previously made? Do you need a reminder of the comment?
Red Eric is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 9:27 pm
  #1544  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I fear that in your haste to rush out your thesis, you failed to read the question properly.

The question was what relevance did socialism have in the comment you previously made? Do you need a reminder of the comment?
Which of your posts are you referring t o, There are just so many..
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2018, 9:42 pm
  #1545  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,064
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
It's why the no deal scenario remains very much on the table.

The EU doesn't want or need a desperate, chaotic, angry, adversarial nation sitting just off the coast.
Neither does the UK want one off its coast.

In the current situation with uber-nationalist extremists attempting to remove the PM from power, The EU is trying to give her a lifeline that would prevent the UK from committing that act of self-harm.
The uber nationalists seem to be in government of several EU countries.

But be sure... they're not going to give away the farm for it. It will be the UK that capitulates. It will just be called something far more palatable than "capitulation". Warm and fuzzy.
"Capitulates" - the sort of term extremists use. It will be both sides coming down from their initial positions during the negotiation.
Cape Blue is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.