British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

InVinoVeritas Mar 20th 2017 6:11 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12208847)
And this too:

The alarmist Brexit press got everything wrong about the Dutch elections

Coverage of the Dutch elections last week is clear evidence that in the pro-Brexit media a toxic combination of ignorant hostility and selective perception continues to inform views about Europe. This attitude has led Britain to leave an organisation it never bothered to understand, in the hope of a future it did not examine. It is now leading Britain to fundamentally misunderstand the countries it depends on for a reasonable Brexit deal.

And what stops this being ill-informed media comment, as well - it is The Guardian after all.

In any case, I don't think many supporters of Brexit viewed the Dutch elections as anything other than coalition politics at work. I mean did Farage bother going?

GeniB Mar 20th 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12208770)
17 million people? :lol:

Whoah has the UK shrunk that much whilst i wasn't looking ... Only 17 million people to keep the UK rolling... Good luck with that :eek:

InVinoVeritas Mar 20th 2017 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12208866)
Whoah has the UK shrunk that much whilst i wasn't looking ... Only 17 million people to keep the UK rolling... Good luck with that :eek:

I think it refers to those who voted for Brexit. They are the ones we must all rely now to get on with it and not spend their time whingeing and moaning.

InVinoVeritas Mar 20th 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12208818)
You're right. It's also why EU members are hardly "terrified" of Brexit. Nor is Spain appearing to go down the tubes as you keep telling me.

Romania posts highest EU growth in 2016

Euro zone growth outpaces the US for the first time since the 2008 crash

Euro zone officials received a slew of good news on Tuesday morning with stronger-than-expected growth and inflation figures and a falling unemployment rate.

Eurozone economy quietly outshines the US
“I certainly continue to be amazed by the skewed negativism towards Europe,” says Erik Nielsen, chief economist of UniCredit, who says such views are “mostly based on what seems like superficial attention to the data — or, maybe, to ‘alternative facts’ .”
https://www.ft.com/__origami/service...down&width=601

Given that the ECB is pumping €60 billion into the economy every month then it effing well should be growing. But what happens when they stop?

SultanOfSwing Mar 20th 2017 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12208875)
I think it refers to those who voted for Brexit. They are the ones we must all rely now to get on with it and not spend their time whingeing and moaning.

Wait, what? We don't have to rely on those 17 million voters for shit all, mate.

Furthermore, the only pissing and wailing being done in this thread is coming from Brexit supporters. The rest of us want the government to get on with it even if we happen to think the Leave campaign was a bullshit movement based on empty promises and misinformation.

Novocastrian Mar 20th 2017 6:37 pm

Don't forget that 16 million voted remain. Of those only 1 thinks a hard Brexit is a good idea.

Unfortunately she's the Prime Minister.

la mancha Mar 20th 2017 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12208818)
You're right. It's also why EU members are hardly "terrified" of Brexit. Nor is Spain appearing to go down the tubes as you keep telling me.

Romania posts highest EU growth in 2016

Euro zone growth outpaces the US for the first time since the 2008 crash

Euro zone officials received a slew of good news on Tuesday morning with stronger-than-expected growth and inflation figures and a falling unemployment rate.

Eurozone economy quietly outshines the US
“I certainly continue to be amazed by the skewed negativism towards Europe,” says Erik Nielsen, chief economist of UniCredit, who says such views are “mostly based on what seems like superficial attention to the data — or, maybe, to ‘alternative facts’ .”
https://www.ft.com/__origami/service...down&width=601

Great news. Thanks for confirming what I posted. I sincerely hope this good economic news carries on when the UK has left the European Union. Now you know why we cannot get agri workers from the EU. Nothing to do with Brexit, is it?

And Romania’s population is in steady decline. To all Romanians: Your Country Needs You! Since Romania is doing so well maybe all the beggars, illegal car washers and labourers working here on the black will go home to build up their home country and leave the UK to their own native tax-paying builders, of whom I know many. Or maybe they will go to Germany or Spain. Or Portugal. Or France.

I did not say Spain is in decline or going down the tubes. I said it is very worried how Brexit will affect them. But you have read the headlines, haven’t you? By the way, Brexit hasn’t happened yet.

Novocastrian Mar 20th 2017 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12208664)
Prime Minister Theresa May will trigger Article 50 on Wednesday 29 March, starting the process of the UK leaving the EU.

May to trigger Brexit by invoking Article 50 on 29 March

Ironically, that's the same day we will be exiting Britain for France.

DaveLovesDee Mar 20th 2017 6:47 pm

Actually it's the unelected PM, unelected cabinet (both PM and cabinet were only elected as MPs), and the unelected civil service who'll be getting on with Brexit.

So much for #takingbackcontrol from the unelected EU then!

InVinoVeritas Mar 20th 2017 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12208881)
Wait, what? We don't have to rely on those 17 million voters for shit all, mate.

Furthermore, the only pissing and wailing being done in this thread is coming from Brexit supporters. The rest of us want the government to get on with it even if we happen to think the Leave campaign was a bullshit movement based on empty promises and misinformation.

You should change your name to SultanofSpin :rofl:

SultanOfSwing Mar 20th 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12208901)
You should change your name to SultanofSpin :rofl:

It's not spin if it's the truth ...

jetsam1 Mar 20th 2017 7:10 pm

Well. The country goes to shit just as I was planning to sell my house this year and finally cut the last ties to my previous life.

Cheers for potentially killing the economy guys!

Fredbargate Mar 20th 2017 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12208890)

A day later I leave Gibraltar for Portugal if the Spanish let me.

amideislas Mar 20th 2017 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12208889)
Great news. Thanks for confirming what I posted. I sincerely hope this good economic news carries on when the UK has left the European Union. Now you know why we cannot get agri workers from the EU. Nothing to do with Brexit, is it?

And Romania’s population is in steady decline. To all Romanians: Your Country Needs You! Since Romania is doing so well maybe all the beggars, illegal car washers and labourers working here on the black will go home to build up their home country and leave the UK to their own native tax-paying builders, of whom I know many. Or maybe they will go to Germany or Spain. Or Portugal. Or France.

I did not say Spain is in decline or going down the tubes. I said it is very worried how Brexit will affect them. But you have read the headlines, haven’t you? By the way, Brexit hasn’t happened yet.

If you think Romanians are bad, you ought to come over to my patch. Both of 'em. Beware, though, you might be a bit intimidated, because it cleverly doesn't appear anywhere near as impoverished as you'd like it to be. And it's jam-packed with foreigners.

And you're right, brexit hasn't happened yet. Although I would've thought you'd be more concerned with your own arse than worrying about the neighbour's good prospects (or failures as you seem to want to believe). But hey, somebody's gotta be to blame, right?

amideislas Mar 20th 2017 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12208890)

Farkin EU dicktatership.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Idc-O0yU1X.../110502exp.jpg