British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Mar 20th 2017 3:39 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12208757)
Happy Birthday Vera Lynn, one hundred today, and a new album due out this week.

Wtf has this got to do with brexit apart from the classic example of the living in the past mindset of far too many brexiters.

Vexcore Mar 20th 2017 3:41 pm

March 29 Fella's

ARE WE READY? watch the pound fall.... lol.. Pathetic.

EMR Mar 20th 2017 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12208752)
The number of UK students rose 3% to 39,440 and applications from outside the EU rose by 1% in the same period.

Mind you, no real loss to the British taxpayer.

Student loans: thousands of Europeans 'failing to repay debts' - Telegraph

From 2013 and I cannot be bothered to update on this but I doubt if it has improved. If it has…anyone?

But help is on the way…

Private eyes to track down EU students who owe £50m in loans | The Independent

What is the default % of Brit students or does that not matter to you or because they are not foreigners.

SultanOfSwing Mar 20th 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12208760)
March 29 Fella's

ARE WE READY? watch the pound fall.... lol.. Pathetic.

W
G
A
F
?

Vexcore Mar 20th 2017 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12208768)
W
G
A
F
?

17 million people? :lol:

SultanOfSwing Mar 20th 2017 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12208770)
17 million people? :lol:

If you think all 17 million of those people still think they made the right choice (or were even properly informed in the first place), you're more delusional than I thought you were.

Red Eric Mar 20th 2017 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12208752)
The number of UK students rose 3% to 39,440 and applications from outside the EU rose by 1% in the same period.

Applications from European Union students to study at UK universities have fallen by 7 per cent following the nation’s Brexit vote, part of an overall 5 per cent decline in applications from all students.

Ucas figures published on 2 February show that to date a total of 564,190 people have applied for full-time undergraduate study at UK higher education institutions for 2017, a decrease of 5 per cent compared with the same point last year.
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...er-brexit-vote

Red Eric Mar 20th 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12208612)
Obviously seasonal workers never were thought of as the same as those coming to the UK to settle long term.
Seasonal workers will come from nearby countries for ease of travel, EU migrants intending to settle and non-EU migrants coming from half way across the world will not come with the aim of seasonal work (even if opportunities don't turn out the way they hoped!).

The objection seems to be to foreigners doing the work at all, and the argument that they were coming prior to EU & FOM really doesn't do much to address that, though it would be much better directed to those doing the objecting than to me.

Who says EU agricultural workers are coming to the UK long term, anyway? And if they are finding other work subsequent to their stint(s) on farms (which they would have to do since they couldn't get by without work), presumably they're filling similar gaps in other sectors, which, without them, would go similarly unfilled. So we could have the same discussion about those if that were the case.

BristolUK Mar 20th 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12208754)
...their economies are growing at a fast rate. Their citizens are staying put and finding work...

I thought they were (supposedly) flooding the UK and taking jobs? :confused:

DaveLovesDee Mar 20th 2017 4:54 pm

Good news for somebody.....

Sterling Plummets As Article 50 Date Confirmed

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/...che=32vcuhlm74

amideislas Mar 20th 2017 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12208798)
I thought they were (supposedly) flooding the UK and taking jobs? :confused:

Only a suggestion.

amideislas Mar 20th 2017 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12208805)

Well, traders know that there's no upside in Brexit, and therefore, it's a solid bet that they'd all sell sterling on the news.

But it will recover slightly. After all, it will be at least a couple of years before the shit hits the fan, and there will be plenty of good economic news in-between as long as the UK is still in the single market.

SultanOfSwing Mar 20th 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12208805)

Still showing 81p to the dollar at the moment. I wonder what the likelihood is it will get closer to 90p before it's time to buy some pounds ...

amideislas Mar 20th 2017 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12208754)

You said it yourself, AMI, their economies are growing at a fast rate. Their citizens are staying put and finding work. This has nothing to do with Brexit. The UK agri sector has to adapt.

You're right. It's also why EU members are hardly "terrified" of Brexit. Nor is Spain appearing to go down the tubes as you keep telling me.

Romania posts highest EU growth in 2016

Euro zone growth outpaces the US for the first time since the 2008 crash

Euro zone officials received a slew of good news on Tuesday morning with stronger-than-expected growth and inflation figures and a falling unemployment rate.

Eurozone economy quietly outshines the US
“I certainly continue to be amazed by the skewed negativism towards Europe,” says Erik Nielsen, chief economist of UniCredit, who says such views are “mostly based on what seems like superficial attention to the data — or, maybe, to ‘alternative facts’ .”
https://www.ft.com/__origami/service...down&width=601

amideislas Mar 20th 2017 5:51 pm

And this too:

The alarmist Brexit press got everything wrong about the Dutch elections

Coverage of the Dutch elections last week is clear evidence that in the pro-Brexit media a toxic combination of ignorant hostility and selective perception continues to inform views about Europe. This attitude has led Britain to leave an organisation it never bothered to understand, in the hope of a future it did not examine. It is now leading Britain to fundamentally misunderstand the countries it depends on for a reasonable Brexit deal.