British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

InVinoVeritas Mar 20th 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

UK champagne imports are down 16% in 2016. Ami was right, we're doomed....

amideislas Mar 20th 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for pointing out that I was right.

But unfortunately, I can't reciprocate and say you're also right, because I've never said any such thing.

Scamp Mar 20th 2017 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12208566)
It's OK Bipat, you'll be able to relax shortly.

Once they're called "seasonal agricultural workers" and there's no longer any danger whatsoever of them being confounded with immigrants it'll all be all right again.

No, no, no. BAN THEM.

Brits can then do that job, but for more money.
Then Brexit voters will happily pay 2-3x the price for the same fruit and veg because it's what they wanted.
Dick won't be excited though, he doesn't eat much fruit because most of it's 'foreign'.

DaveLovesDee Mar 20th 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12208614)
Aware of that---my origins in Norfolk-- potato/ beet picking yearly activities before the war for country people.
Seem to remember farming relatives/friends complaining about not being able to get workers long before the present controversies. They seemed to grudge decent pay, and accommodation!

Of course farmers didn't want to pay more than they had to, and at least these days we have minimum wage laws. The companies that now control many of the UK agricultural sector's supply also want to pay as little as possible within the law.

Employers always want to reduce costs (the highest of which is likely to be labour costs), and employees almost always want higher pay for their job. If an employer raises their labour costs by 5% without raising prices, then they're either going to be taking a reduced profit/make a loss, or will have to cut 5% of their employees.

Fredbargate Mar 20th 2017 1:54 pm

Prime Minister Theresa May will trigger Article 50 on Wednesday 29 March, starting the process of the UK leaving the EU.

May to trigger Brexit by invoking Article 50 on 29 March

DaveLovesDee Mar 20th 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12208664)
Prime Minister Theresa May will trigger Article 50 on Wednesday 29 March, starting the process of the UK leaving the EU.

May to trigger Brexit by invoking Article 50 on 29 March

Yup.

amideislas Mar 20th 2017 2:05 pm

I reckon brexit could finally open the market for that superior quality British citrus fruit. And that authentic British winter lettuce, tomatoes, corn, broccoli, celery, and potatoes. After all, the EU has kept British farmers from growing that stuff for over 40 years so that the French, Spanish and Italians get all the business. But now the last laugh: Britain will put them all out of business and become the world's biggest food supplier! And the millions of unemployed Brits will finally take back those cushy harvesting jobs from those greedy foreigners!

...and we'll still have full access to the single market, so they'll be forced to buy it all from us! Ka-ching!

The remoaners will say it's a ridiculous plan, but they have no imagination.

EMR Mar 20th 2017 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12208552)
How do you know that?
Foreign 'agricultural workers' were coming to the UK long before the EEC!!

Our agriculture business was also a fraction of what it is today.
Better to ignore the past and stick to the 21st century.

iano Mar 20th 2017 3:06 pm

Disappointed that Mrs May will not be attending the Rome Treaty 60th Anniversary celebrations...

"On this anniversary, Europe looks back with pride and looks forward with hope. For 60 years we have built a Union that promotes peaceful cooperation, respect of human dignity, liberty, democracy, equality and solidarity among European nations and peoples."

The UK has played its part in building the EU, albeit unwillingly at times, for 45 of those 60 years. The single market, in particular. No reason why we should not join them to look back with pride and then depart gracefully before the remainder sit down to discuss the future. A classy farewell.

If May is unable to go, perhaps we could send Farage instead, just to see what he's really made of, as if we didn't know.

Vive L'Europe.

EMR Mar 20th 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12208620)
UK champagne imports are down 16% in 2016. Ami was right, we're doomed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EH1G4EwljM

Switched to proseco, it's cheaper and trendier.

Fredbargate Mar 20th 2017 3:24 pm

1 Attachment(s)

la mancha Mar 20th 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12208350)
Well, UK businesses exporting to anywhere will have to conform to the regulations of the country exported to. The idea that the EU imposed unnecessary regulation, and that by leaving it, the UK can somehow export elsewhere without any regulation is simply delusional. Besides, goods exports account for a mere fraction of the UK economy.

Europeans in the UK see the writing on the wall. They are leaving. Just as you wanted. Besides, the EU economy is growing. One of the fastest in the world. You guys complain about Romanians, but the Romanian economy is growing twice as fast as the UK economy. Why go where you're not wanted, with an uncertain future, when there's more opportunity at home?

You have read this wrong. I am talking about UK firms that do not export.

If the EU economy is growing then I am happy for you all. If the Romanian economy is growing then I applaud them. If it is growing twice as fast as that of the UK then it is a tremendous achievement, but we must remember that they are starting from a very base level: but all the best to them, nevertheless. If there is work for Romanians back home then of course returning to their homeland and helping to build their economy is the right thing to do. Who would think otherwise?

la mancha Mar 20th 2017 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12208405)
So you admit it did have an adverse effect. Well done.

We'll see whether applications are back up this year, shall we? That should sort out whether it was a one-off or whether the uncertainty and hostility has played a part in creating permanent damage.

The number of UK students rose 3% to 39,440 and applications from outside the EU rose by 1% in the same period.

Mind you, no real loss to the British taxpayer.

Student loans: thousands of Europeans 'failing to repay debts' - Telegraph

From 2013 and I cannot be bothered to update on this but I doubt if it has improved. If it has…anyone?

But help is on the way…

Private eyes to track down EU students who owe £50m in loans | The Independent

la mancha Mar 20th 2017 3:37 pm

Why the sudden talk of a diminishing number of EU job applications for the agri sector? The rules are the same as last year. I cannot see an EU agri worker worrying about xenophobia or hostility while working in a field, considering the majority will only be here on average for a month or less. Maybe it is the sterling rate? Maybe they aren’t getting as many euros to the pound as they were last year and have decided that coming is simply not worth it anymore. Or maybe the tide has turned and these Romanians are staying at home and finding jobs, seeing as their economy is racing ahead. Which has nothing to do with Brexit, does it? Let’s face it, times change.

You said it yourself, AMI, their economies are growing at a fast rate. Their citizens are staying put and finding work. This has nothing to do with Brexit. The UK agri sector has to adapt.

la mancha Mar 20th 2017 3:38 pm

Happy Birthday Vera Lynn, one hundred today, and a new album due out this week.